What you think we should do?....dont tade up! (1 Viewer)

PaulinP

Very Banned
Reaction score
about DT, OLB, S, CB, and #10?

Draft - Wait and see who falls. If we have our choice of 1st corner off the board then take him. If Dorsey or Ellis drop, I would rather trade, but wouldnt object taking one. I would rather them take an offer from best teams offering. I think they can be good but not #10 money good. So a trade for a 1st and 2nd or 3rd would be substantial. Historically, most top 10s arent worth the buck; building a team of solid young players could be the way.

DT - Do not trade up. I'm local, had family play for LSU, I think Dorsey will be injury plagued his entire career. I hope I'm wrong but he didnt look 100% the last couple weeks at LSU, and with recent news on his lasting injuries I dont know. Ellis is over-hyped USC, not necesarily top 10 IMHO but maybe top 20. Example: 2002 Draft- A. Haynesworth was 4th DT taken in 1st round at pick 15. Kentwan Balmer could be this years Haynesworth.

CB - If no CB has been taken by pick 10 or if the FO thinks the best is still available, take him no dobut. If not, I like Lito or Hall. I would rather Hall. I know he has a bad attitiude, but he was drafted 8th overall, and we need a player that doesnt have injury history. Lito is good when healthy though. If they dont think Hall is worth #10 or if they dont want to risk paying for Lito then the only options are draft a later round or hope someone becomes available before the start of next year.

OLB - I think we should definatly wait until rounds 2 and 3 to address this need. I love Crable, he will take one or two seasons to build his leg strength, but once he does, he will be fast, strong, and an all-star. There are plenty other talented OLBs available if they dont go for Crable I think they are missing out on the next Jason Taylor.

FS - I dont think BUllocks will last 5 more years in the league. He takes awful angles, bites on play action consistantly, and cant tackle. Kenny Philips is supposedly the best FS available and if he is available in round 2nd i would take him. I would also try to get some other player to at least keep the position competative.

How do you think these positions should be improved upon? Agree or disagree?

Last edited:
What scary to think about is this draft especially round 1 is going to define payton's legacy. This is his 3rd year. He is going to have to get a great player and have a great draft. we definatly have the chance to make a good defense with our picks.

When did K Phillips drop to 2nd/3rd round? I thought for sure he was a 1st round pick.

Kenny Phillips will be a late first/high second round pick when it's all said and done. I think we have a unique opportunity this year with such a deep corner class to take a very good corner at 10 (I know with the Gay signing it's debatably not the biggest need). We could take McKelvin, Talib or the board favorite Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If we take Rivers, I won't be disappointed either.

Draft Dominique Barber in the 5th round to replace Bullocks. Im guessing Bullocks is probably one the worst starting FS in the NFL right now.

yes, Dominique Barber would be a great FS pick in the 5th or more likely 6th round. I think that we could get Trevor Laws in the 2nd and he hasn't had any trouble with injuries in the past that I know of, a solid pick no matter what. for CB I think we either get one in the first or just wait until the third round to get one. Crable is a very nice pick I must agree, but I don't know how well he would do in a 4-3, he could be deadly or he could just not be a good fit, you never know. Rivers has impressed me recently, I didn't like the guy for the longest time, but I've watched a game or 2 and he may be better than i thought, I don't know about picking him at 10 yet though.

i completely agree. moving up from the #10 spot with noone specifically targeted to improve the defense is absurd. we will land a quality player at 10 and probably at 41. there is a chance kenny phillips will be there at 41.

i dont think kp will fall to the 2nd but this is the nfl draft so ya never know. i do agree with not trading up, that would be a mistake. i would also love us to have first dibs on the best cb in the draft. good post:9:

i completely agree. moving up from the #10 spot with noone specifically targeted to improve the defense is absurd. we will land a quality player at 10 and probably at 41. there is a chance kenny phillips will be there at 41.
:9: totally agree with that...if KP falls to us at 41 i promise to go to church at least once this decade. If i understand the Vilma trade correctly we will be losing a fourth rounder this draft and under those terms i would not trade up.It's a good year for B and B+ athletes and we still have alot of depth to add to this squad,O and D. Next year will probably be a better year for us to move up and snag the LB from USC.....:hihi: trading down is our better option and that may depend on who Cincy takes. They signed Odom today but that does'nt take care of their DE needs so it may get very interesting should they or Miami decide to make a deal.....peace

What scary to think about is this draft especially round 1 is going to define payton's legacy. This is his 3rd year. He is going to have to get a great player and have a great draft. we definatly have the chance to make a good defense with our picks.

Believe it or not....Payton's legacy PROBABLY has been decided already in this FA.......but we just don't know it yet!

Anybody the Saints draft in ANY round, will have to go through growing pains, which is expected from rookies. So their impact will be mixed....But if for some reason Vilma can't go......we're screwed with the "snow patrol" back in action again.

And I don't believe that Randal Gay is our saviour either........

its way to risky to trade up to get a corner in this draft

I think we should take a chance on DRC at #10, but I honestly think it will be Balmer or Rivers...but if it was a corner, I would much rather take DRC...he has the most upside and he is a instinctive corner (already) he is a first rounder, probably not top 10...but thats were we pick, so I would hate to lose out on a player we want or need simply because it he presumed to go later...to some other team....and thats not just for DRC, whoever it is the Saints are targeting at #10, I hope they don't pick a guy for value over a guy they know can help the team but was expected to go later in the first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom