What you watching? - Quarantine Edition (4 Viewers)

so i needed something in between Mare of Easttown and Bad Batch -
i stumbled on Beartown (Bjornstad) - former hero of now depressed Swedish town return after an NHL career to try to revitalize the team and town
only one episode in, but seems pretty interesting (not the most envelope pushing plot), but insight into small nordic town life - i appreciate when atmospherics are their own characters in intl tv shows

Apparently, I'm behind the times, as usual, but I just finished Season 1 of Demon Slayer on Funimation. For you anime fans who haven't watched it (probably not many), it is quite enjoyable.

Just watched the first two episodes of “Reservation Dogs” on Hulu and the first season of “We are Lady Parts” on Peacock and really enjoyed both.

Just caught up with Ted Lasso (we got 3 free months of apple+)
also checking out ‘Little America’ - it’s dramatized versions of actual immigrant stories (like, they’re real life stories, but portrayed by actors). I’ve seen the first 2 . Amazing
While you've got free Apple+, do yourself a favor and watch For All Mankind and The Morning Show. I just started watching See as well.

Also, AMC just dropped a new organized crime series called Kin set in modern Ireland that I watched the first episode of last night. Littlefinger from GoT is in it.

So, I haven't read this thread at all, so I'm just going to data dump a bit of what we've been watching.

The Mentalist - I really enjoyed this show. Good characters, acting, I liked the premise. Cho is the man. I highly recommend this show, if you haven't seen it.

All the MCU shows, Wandavision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, and Loki.

Lately been watching Chicago Med. Only just barely into season 2. I think it's a little over the top with drama, but the medical stuff is very realistic.

My wife was watching Motherland Fort Salem. I think we watched part of Bridgerton. I watched all of the Queens' Gambit.

I think I liked the focus on the detective, the space station, and the alien particle in the early going more than the other stuff. I just found it more personal and compelling. I also think that the transition to it all being an evil corporate/government plot to be kind of heavy handed. I'd like more focus on whatever is going on with the original particles. I mean, it's been quite awhile since I watched it so I don't recall all the plot details or the shifts, but my recollection of the show is that is started off great and just got slowly worse and less interesting over time. I'm not sure I can tell you the exact plot stuff that did it to me because I really don't recall all of it.

I also think that they spent a lot more time bothering with gravity earlier in the series. At some point they start to just include it so they can say see, we are hard sci-fi. I mean, beyond showing gravity as a real thing, I don't recall much real science stuff going on after the first season or two. After that, it was more about political intrigue that could have more or less taken place in any setting.

I'd put many above The Expanse. If we are just talking TV and not movies or books, I'd go with Farscape, Star Trek, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica,and Doctor Who off the top of my head. Admittedly, none of those are really hard Sci-Fi, but I'm not sure anyone has really done hard Sci-Fi well on TV or movies for that matter. It's really best done in books where you don't have to figure out how to naturally fit the science discussion into the plot. And, it's hard to keep up production values in live action TV based in space. Frankly, hard sci-fi might be best done with animation where you can keep production costs relatively low. So, regardless of if it is regarded by many as the best space/hard sci-fi show, that's not really saying much and I don't really tend to care what the popular opinion of something is. I mean, it's not a bad show and it started out as an amazing show. I just think it lost its way and became kind of boring at some point. I think it's a story that really could have and should have been done in 3 seasons.
Babylon 5 was probably the best sci fi, political commentary, geo-political (galaxyeo-political?), fantasy type show I can think of. But, to be fare, i haven't watched Farscape or the Expanse.

It also helps that HBO max and now Amazon have the remastered versions available to watch. It's 4:3, but re-mastered to be in HD, as it was filmed that way.

The Mentalist - I really enjoyed this show. Good characters, acting, I liked the premise. Cho is the man. I highly recommend this show, if you haven't seen it.
uhhhhhh

Lately been watching Chicago Med. Only just barely into season 2. I think it's a little over the top with drama, but the medical stuff is very realistic.

Wife and I love this show

I was a very big fan of it for a while. I don't want to be spoiler-ish
I finished the whole series. So, you can use spoiler tags for others, or just PM me. My guess is the beef is the last season?

I finished the whole series. So, you can use spoiler tags for others, or just PM me. My guess is the beef is the last season?

IMO (forgive me some i watched this when I used to drink) it should have ended at 5 seasons. 7 just seemed like they were stretching it out. To me it just got to the point of "ok wrap this sheet up already" Also the episode with him constantly calling the mafia Don was hilarious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom