Whatcha BBQ/grillin'? (1 Viewer)

Brisket flats are always inferior to the point IMO.

Definitely agreed!!

And yet, you can buy a brisket flat without the point but never the point without the flat.

So, who is getting the point???:ezbill:

This is why I have only done flats. I can't find a decent full packer here in South Alabama so flats are my only choice.

I can find full packers at Sam's but they won't really fit in a large egg. XL probably would. The time aspect to properly cook/smoke a full brisket is also significant, not that those burnt ends aren't worth it.

I can find full packers at Sam's but they won't really fit in a large egg. XL probably would. The time aspect to properly cook/smoke a full brisket is also significant, not that those burnt ends aren't worth it.

Wrap a brick in foil and put it under the brisket (so the brisket is "draped" over the brick) to start. After a few hours, the brisket will shrink enough to remove the brick. You can fit a pretty large packer on the LBGE that way.

Jimbo said:

Wrap a brick in foil and put it under the brisket (so the brisket is "draped" over the brick) to start. After a few hours, the brisket will shrink enough to remove the brick. You can fit a pretty large packer on the LBGE that way.

Or use a rib rack to do the same.. I've done that before. Most of the full packers I've done, including the ones I posted on the previous page, came from Sam's. The top one was a 15 lber and fit on a large BGE.

I have a hard time getting my brisket to the tender stage. I've taken them from 195 - 205. Just always comes out too dry, except for the Burnt-Ends. I've been separating the point at around 190 to make burnt ends.

Did you foil?

BTW, IMO, burnt-ends is the best damn grub on the planet!

You can inject the brisket with low sodium beef broth. It will help with the dryness. IMO, to avoid it being too dry, apply the Texas crutch(foil it) when it hits the stall. The foil will help it braise, and power it through the stall. Purists will scoff and say you're ruining the bark. I say who cares. Even guys like Aaron Franklin foil. At about 200 I take it off, open the foil to let it steam for about 5-10 mins to stop the cooking process. Then put in a cooler covered with towels for 1-2 hours before serving. I may or may not take a sample when I let it steam. :)

You can inject the brisket with low sodium beef broth. It will help with the dryness. IMO, to avoid it being too dry, apply the Texas crutch(foil it) when it hits the stall. The foil will help it braise, and power it through the stall. Purists will scoff and say you're ruining the bark. I say who cares. Even guys like Aaron Franklin foil. At about 200 I take it off, open the foil to let it steam for about 5-10 mins to stop the cooking process. Then put in a cooler covered with towels for 1-2 hours before serving. I may or may not take a sample when I let it steam. :)

Franklin wraps with butcher paper, not foil, which lets the meat breathe and steam escape. Butcher paper is preferable, IMO.

And also, IMO, feel is more important than temp - super high grade brisket can finish around 189. I've found prime Costco brisket will finish around 196-199, and standard choice briskets around 203, but YMMV. You also have to consider carry over cooking in the cooler as well.

Franklin wraps with butcher paper, not foil, which lets the meat breathe and steam escape. Butcher paper is preferable, IMO.

And also, IMO, feel is more important than temp - super high grade brisket can finish around 189. I've found prime Costco brisket will finish around 196-199, and standard choice briskets around 203, but YMMV. You also have to consider carry over cooking in the cooler as well.

He wraps with foil too. I remember reading this in an article detailing his BBQ operations. I also use butcher paper sometimes but it is more messy in the cooler. Right, carryover is a concern, but I ain't no BBQ novice here buzd. :hihi:

I once smoked a waygu brisket. It was done at 190. When I get prime from Costco, I usually wet age them 25-30 days. Like you said, those come off before IT hits 200. I generally use temp as my guide because I don't want to mess with opening the egg and checking it. But this is what I do and it works. We all have our BBQ techniques. As long as your producing good food, keep on doing it. :9:

That's why god made Primos.

He wraps with foil too. I remember reading this in an article detailing his BBQ operations. I also use butcher paper sometimes but it is more messy in the cooler. Right, carryover is a concern, but I ain't no BBQ novice here buzd. :hihi:

I once smoked a waygu brisket. It was done at 190. When I get prime from Costco, I usually wet age them 25-30 days. Like you said, those come off before IT hits 200. I generally use temp as my guide because I don't want to mess with opening the egg and checking it. But this is what I do and it works. We all have our BBQ techniques. As long as your producing good food, keep on doing it. :9:

The butcher shop here has Wagyu and Prime.

If you can dry out a Wagyu a9 brisket, you should give up.

I've been on a bender.

The Weber kettle is heating up now... As it did yesterday, and the day before.

Even in the rain a few days ago...

I can't stop!

I need help!

Please deliver more charcoal and meat ASAP!

We've done hot dogs, burgers, chicken, ka-bobs, fresh corn, etc. 4-5 days per week on the kettle for 4 weeks now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom