Whatcha cookin/eatin

superchuck500

cha-ching
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
Sticky Post
New Year’s Day food is good times. Some classic dishes, some regional embellishments . . . some treasured family recipes and room for new exploration.

I picked up a ham yesterday (en lieu of corned beef). Made my cabbage last night. My sister is making the cornbread and I’m trying take take black-eyed peas to exciting new places (and probably won’t get there).

Brees4prez

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
I admire your effort on the ham - I’m kind of a Honey Baked (tm) junkie. We have one near the house and it’s just to damn easy and delicious to resist.

These days I pretty much pick one up for every eating holiday. And maybe another random one throughout the year.
I get one also anytime i can around the holidays. I also get one randomly but it almost always involves football.

Try some honey baked ham on sister schubert rolls( frozen food section). Add cheese and honey mustard or mustard if you are into all of that. I can just eat the rolls and ham. When i am watching football over the holidays that is all i want. I might even grab me one for the playoffs. Talk about food for days.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

cha-ching
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
I get one also anytime i can around the holidays. I also get one randomly but it almost always involves football.

Try some honey baked ham on sister schubert rolls( frozen food section). Add cheese and honey mustard or mustard if you are into all of that. I can just eat the rolls and ham. When i am watching football over the holidays that is all i want. I might even grab me one for the playoffs. Talk about food for days.
I had honey-baked for breakfast this morning. I also had some with a glass of milk before bed last night. I submit that there are very few foods that are entirely comfortable and delcious and literally any time of day or any meal/snack.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Ratings
Late to the game, but New Years is probably one of my favorite meals of the year. It always brings me back to New Years at my grandma's which is the only time of year she made her cabbage rolls. This was our menu this year:

-Thin-cut fried pork chops (Wife has a secret seasoning mix that is phenominal!)
-Sautéed cabbage with bacon & onion
-Blackeyed peas slow cooked with hamhock
-Rice for the peas
-Mexican cornbread

Last edited:

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I admire your effort on the ham - I’m kind of a Honey Baked (tm) junkie. We have one near the house and it’s just to damn easy and delicious to resist.

These days I pretty much pick one up for every eating holiday. And maybe another random one throughout the year.
we used to grab lunch from there in a hurry. decent ham sammiches and others. pretty cheap too, especially if you play the punch card game just right.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I had honey-baked for breakfast this morning. I also had some with a glass of milk before bed last night. I submit that there are very few foods that are entirely comfortable and delcious and literally any time of day or any meal/snack.
I do not get this fascination with honey baked ham. First, most of it is brown sugar mixed with water because honey doesn't come in powder form, but aside from that, ham is naturally delicious with salty goodness.

Everytime my wife come home from the grocery store with quarter thick slices of "honey ham" I die a little inside and have to maintain my own stash of plain old Chichesi or whatever they call plain ham these days.

I never understood putting chocolate sauce on hookers either.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

cha-ching
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
I do not get this fascination with honey baked ham. First, most of it is brown sugar mixed with water because honey doesn't come in powder form, but aside from that, ham is naturally delicious with salty goodness.

Everytime my wife come home from the grocery store with quarter thick slices of "honey ham" I die a little inside and have to maintain my own stash of plain old Chichesi or whatever they call plain ham these days.

I’m not really referring to honey ham or even honey-baked ham in general. I can usually take or leave that generic stuff. Sometimes it’s actually a negative on the ham, IMO.

But Honey-Baked (tm) ham is crack.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings

my grandfather would spend a few hours prepping his ham. dijon, a bunch of things, whatever else. it wasn’t much, if any, sweeter than the ham itself (other than the crystallized crust).

that is the ham i miss :(

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings

this post would make much more sense if praline bacon wasn't one of top 5 best things to do with your tongue

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
efil4stnias Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8