Whatcha cookin/eatin (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
New Year’s Day food is good times. Some classic dishes, some regional embellishments . . . some treasured family recipes and room for new exploration.

I picked up a ham yesterday (en lieu of corned beef). Made my cabbage last night. My sister is making the cornbread and I’m trying take take black-eyed peas to exciting new places (and probably won’t get there).

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so, this is weird. I cut the sausage and browned it in the instantpot, on the Saute setting. Then the sausage comes out, in goes onion, celery. Then garlic. Then the sausage goes back in. Total prep time so far about 20 minutes. Then the dry beans, liquid (stock/water), seasoning.

Then close the lid, use the pressure cooker setting on High for 40 minutes. Then I just sit here. I can't see it. Can't open it. Don't stir it. Then after 40 minutes of cooking, the pressure will release naturally - about 20 minutes. Then it's ready. No idea how it will come out, and I'm pretty dubious considering how much easier this has been. And with the sauteeing two different things before, it's more complicated than a lot of the recipes I've seen for this.

There's no way this is going to be any good.

Doing rice separately, just fyi.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so, this is weird. I cut the sausage and browned it in the instantpot, on the Saute setting. Then the sausage comes out, in goes onion, celery. Then garlic. Then the sausage goes back in. Total prep time so far about 20 minutes. Then the dry beans, liquid (stock/water), seasoning.

Then close the lid, use the pressure cooker setting on High for 40 minutes. Then I just sit here. I can't see it. Can't open it. Don't stir it. Then after 40 minutes of cooking, the pressure will release naturally - about 20 minutes. Then it's ready. No idea how it will come out, and I'm pretty dubious considering how much easier this has been. And with the sauteeing two different things before, it's more complicated than a lot of the recipes I've seen for this.

1546802679299.png

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine this is how things are cooked in the twilight zone. I'm afraid to open it.

What if *it* eats *me*?

OhioSaintsFan

He didn't make it
Reaction score
I attempted to make potato candy last night.

The less said about that particular experiment, the better. How I screwed up something with THREE ingredients is beyond me. I wasn't even stoned.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so, here it is -

ingredients were a pound and a half of *dry* red kidney beans, a pound and a half of sausage, an onion, 4 stalks celery, etc. Just to give you an idea of volume.

Total time, including prep, and cooking is an hour and a half. And over an hour of that was just sitting here, doing other work (akin to the crock pot, but much shorter). And no dishes to speak of. Stove wasn't even turned on.

And it's delicious.

There are some things I would change for next time - esp to get a bigger batch (mine is the large 8 qt version and it was just a bit over halfway full) - but this was incredibly clean and simple.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
so, here it is -

ingredients were a pound and a half of *dry* red kidney beans, a pound and a half of sausage, an onion, 4 stalks celery, etc. Just to give you an idea of volume.

Total time, including prep, and cooking is an hour and a half. And over an hour of that was just sitting here, doing other work (akin to the crock pot, but much shorter). And no dishes to speak of. Stove wasn't even turned on.

And it's delicious.

There are some things I would change for next time - esp to get a bigger batch (mine is the large 8 qt version and it was just a bit over halfway full) - but this was incredibly clean and simple.

looks like it came out good. i’m not reading all of that though.

oye..doc, yes, no, good, bad. then you have my attention. <3

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I attempted to make potato candy last night.

The less said about that particular experiment, the better. How I screwed up something with THREE ingredients is beyond me. I wasn't even stoned.
i wasn’t high either and about ten years ago, i boiled noodles....without water. i’ve tried making pancakes on the grill, literally, on the grill. sigh.

OhioSaintsFan

He didn't make it
Reaction score
let us be the judge of that
It's bad enough that I admitted to it. The entire mess was figuratively thrown into the river and the river diverted to North Carolina. Can't contaminate my adopted home state.

i wasn’t high either and about ten years ago, i boiled noodles....without water. i’ve tried making pancakes on the grill, literally, on the grill. sigh.
That's...actually impressive. Kudos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom