Whatcha cookin/eatin (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New Year’s Day food is good times. Some classic dishes, some regional embellishments . . . some treasured family recipes and room for new exploration.

I picked up a ham yesterday (en lieu of corned beef). Made my cabbage last night. My sister is making the cornbread and I’m trying take take black-eyed peas to exciting new places (and probably won’t get there).

Made a big pot of jambalaya last night (even had a little this morning for breakfast). Will get going on the black-eyed peas shortly for tonight's dinner. Or is it supper?

Honey baked ham (stuff should be illegal its so good) cabbage stewing now, black eyed peas simmering (with liberal amount of Cajun seasoning) and cornbread shortly after.

I figure by halftime I'll be gnoshing and by end of game, napping. Lol

I wish all yall a Happy and Prosperous 2019!!

frozen spinach and artichoke dip from trader joes.

probably a bowl of cereal now and then (vanilla oreo is da bomb).

thinking of picking up a quality frozen pizza.

i save the best for new years.

Made a big pot of jambalaya last night (even had a little this morning for breakfast). Will get going on the black-eyed peas shortly for tonight's dinner. Or is it supper?

I think if it’s your big meal of the day, it’s dinner.

Today is my wife's day to cook and my day to eat and drink and watch TV or whatever. She makes cornbread, peas, ham and cabbage. I like the cornbread and peas and wish that someone had brought or made a corned beef.

An apple with peanut butter.

I’m so digging the instant pot. We got it for Xmas last year but didn’t open it until yesterday. I had been saving up bacon grease and pork bits so I had them for my cabbage and black-eyed peas.

I got an onion, a jalapeño, and some chicken broth yesterday and got working last night. After the prep, I cooked the cabbage last night - cooking time (after a few minutes to get to pressure) was three minutes. And the texture was perfect and after sitting overnight, the flavor was awesome.

Then today, after the soaking the peas overnight, I sautéd the onions, garlic, and pepper in the bacon grease and pork pieces, then added the broth and peas, flipped it to high pressure and after five minute cook time, they were just perfect (cooked enough to get a little pasty in the juice but while still having a touch of al-dente’ to most of the peas). Five freakin’ minutes!

Those are both dishes that take an hour or more on the cooktop, or six-plus hours in the crock-pot.

I’m definitely going to be experimenting more with that thing.

We got the 8 qt, 9 in 1 Instant Pot model on a half price Boxing Day sale on Amazon. Haven't gotten it yet - but looking forward to it.

So keep feeding recommendations and experiments that work out

As for dinner today:

spiral cut ham - and I use a Dr Pepper/citrus/honey/worcestershire reduction glaze that I do each year. I :heart: Dr. Pepper, and the glaze turns out really well

sides are collard greens, black eyed peas, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole

dessert is pecan pie and ice cream

Ever since we moved up here and Canadian Thanksgiving is some half-arsed 'holiday' at the beginning of October, New Years Day has become the major, traditional meal of the year with all the complimentary sides.

I’m so digging the instant pot. We got it for Xmas last year but didn’t open it until yesterday. I had been saving up bacon grease and pork bits so I had them for my cabbage and black-eyed peas.

I got an onion, a jalapeño, and some chicken broth yesterday and got working last night. After the prep, I cooked the cabbage last night - cooking time (after a few minutes to get to pressure) was three minutes. And the texture was perfect and after sitting overnight, the flavor was awesome.

Then today, after the soaking the peas overnight, I sautéd the onions, garlic, and pepper in the bacon grease and pork pieces, then added the broth and peas, flipped it to high pressure and after five minute cook time, they were just perfect (cooked enough to get a little pasty in the juice but while still having a touch of al-dente’ to most of the peas). Five freakin’ minutes!

Those are both dishes that take an hour or more on the cooktop, or six-plus hours in the crock-pot.

I’m definitely going to be experimenting more with that thing.

Yah, those things are da bomb.

Ham, black eyed peas and cabbage of course today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom