Whatcha cookin/eatin (1 Viewer)

Today I’m making red beans in the instant pot and Mr. B’s barbecue shrimp on the cooktop. I told our guests to be here by 2 because I’m going to be done cooking by 2:30. So I have half an hour to get crunk.

My wife is making a white bean soup from Folse's recipe

Last night for my wife and daughter, I pounded some pork loin chops flat, breaded and fried them - schnitzel.
Instead of the usual gravy, I did sliced portabella mushroom brown gravy with a touch of marsala wine.
Instead of potatoes, I did rice.
Buttered mixed vegetables on the side.
There were no leftovers. Plates were licked clean. Son-in-law had to eat hot dogs when he came home from work. :hihi:

Today, it's gumbo, as outlined on the Super Forum. Hooray!

Meatball fricasse and boudin

The Irish in me got a hankering for corned beef and cabbage. Got a 3.5 lb brisket in the crock pot simmering with a few carrots and onions. mSonn will put in more carrots and baby red potatoes. At the start of the game add the caabage and at half time should be ready.

I am gonna hit the store for an emergency Gumbo....

Went to Red's Chinese last night after game and just realized our whole hotel room smells like fried onions. But it was good.

So, after-action report on the roast-beef po-boys:

Instant pot cut down the boil time to 35 minutes (from 90). That Parasol's recipe is all about the gravy, and I had a harder time with it than I expected. After one failed effort (the flour was too lumpy) I made it a second time and it was solid . . . but I couldn't get it just right, the way the flavor just comes at you at Parasol's.

Anyway, the Leidenheimer bread and dressing them old school (a healthy dose of mayo, shredded iceberg, tomato slices, and regular-ole hamburger dill slices) did the rest of the work, it was a pretty dang tasty sammich. Not quite right on the flavor, but everyone enjoyed their roast beef poboy.
how do you screw up a sammich? just kidding. i can barely make toast.

Made braciole the other day with flank steaks. Took forever to pound those out thin enough but it was worth it! Browned and then simmered in tomato sauce for about 4hr. Threw in some homemade meatballs just for grins.

I really needed this comfort food after that disastrous game and the ensuing hangover.

Pork tenderloin. Will be roasted, then sliced into medallions and served on a leaf of romaine with rice, corn and peas.

Attachments

• 50448722_1503592799771144_5731381870780743680_n.jpg
    50448722_1503592799771144_5731381870780743680_n.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom