whatever happend to sedrick hodge and courtney watson ? (1 Viewer)

Mel Mitchell is currently playing for the Patriots. He's a special teamer for them, just like he was for us.

Just like Sullivan went to New England. Thats not what I am saying. The first 2-3 years of a players career are the most important. You teach them the wrong way, you show them the wrong things, you give them the wrong attitude and you've lost them forever. I just think Haslett and Co. just didn't understand how to develop talent, and it showed in their draft production. I honestly attribute it more to the coaching staff than I do to the scouting department.

Just like Sullivan went to New England.
Well not really, Sullivan didn't make the team. Mitchell was targeted by the Pats and signed as a free agent, made the team, and does contribute.

I agree that Haslett did a terrible job both identifying and developing talent.
I'm just not sure you can lump Mel Mitchell in with that group.

I think he just is what he is. And that's a special-teamer.

They were coached by Haslett and Venturi.

It's painful to realize that our old starting LBs were actually worse than our current starting LBs.

correct and I think many people who visit here don't understand how awful the defense was when Payton arrived, particularly the LBs. The current staff and GM have been trying to patchwork it with FAs and a draft pick here and there. It worked in 06 but caught up with them this past season. This offseason, the D needs an overhaul. Two CBs, a safety, two LBs, one DT, and a good pass rusher are all needs that need addressing on that side of the ball.

I don't know how some people say he showed promise as an MLB. he was never close to being aggressive enough to play MLB in the NFL. I always felt be was better suited to play wlb.

I still say a lot of our troubles with young guys not developing was Jim Haslett and his groupe of coaches. I can't remember one significant player that was drafted (minus Deuce) that actually lived up or developed into a good player.

Not that I think Haslett was all that great, but you're reaching. Jamal Brown, Stallworth, Karney, Henderson, Grant, Smith, Deuce and others have turned out ok. And there are more.

Not that I think Haslett was all that great, but you're reaching. Jamal Brown, Stallworth, Karney, Henderson, Grant, Smith, Deuce and others have turned out ok. And there are more.

Stallworth hasn't lived up to anything he was drafted for. Devery Henderson drops more balls than anyone in the league. (Grant/Smith/Deuce) were 1st rounders .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not really, Sullivan didn't make the team. Mitchell was targeted by the Pats and signed as a free agent, made the team, and does contribute.

I agree that Haslett did a terrible job both identifying and developing talent.
I'm just not sure you can lump Mel Mitchell in with that group.

I think he just is what he is. And that's a special-teamer.

Didn't Mitchell suffer a preseason injury from a clip by a backup Dolphin qb? If so, we had high hopes for him, but that injury set him back.

Didn't Mitchell suffer a preseason injury from a clip by a backup Dolphin qb? If so, we had high hopes for him, but that injury set him back.

Speaking of Mitchell, what ever happened to Marvin Mitchell (50)? He was a physical specimen and a hard hitter. I had hopes for him.

starting LBs were : Bockwoldt, Hodge , Watson

later it was terrence melton , mckinnon and bockwoldt

with tj. slaughter in the mix.... pretty bad all and all but mckinnon was pretty decent.

oh yes and james allen was on IR again

despair.jpg

Stallworth hasn't lived up to anything he was drafted for. Devery Henderson drops more balls than anyone in the league. (Grant/Smith/Deuce) were 1st rounders .
I re-read the post several times. He's 100% correct.

You said no one other than Deuce. He listed several. He also left out several.

Deuce wasn't even close to the only player that lived up to or developed into a good player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom