whatever happened to crab boils? (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i seem to remember crab boils being as common as crawfish boils back in the olden times
now, i can't think of the last time i heard about a crab boil

so what's the deal?

Reaction score
We still have them.

Also, crabs became somewhat scarce after the oil spill. It's getting better.

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I was going to post this. Even the best-peeled crab doesn't compare to the work/reward ratio of a crawfish.
My wife and I boil crabs almost year round. Most of the time we just pick all the crabs to make crab cakes or crab dip. However, she says eating crawfish is too much work. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm happy to have the help with the crabs.

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
we used to a few years back when my brother in law had his boat. wake up about 4am. go crabbing til 1/2. come back home and boil, clean up everything. yea thats why i dont do it anymore... 2 kids and life in general has us busy.

melman

Fleur-de-lis underwear
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Helotes, TX via Lafayette, NOLA, Australia, Japan,
Fondest memories of my childhood was crabbing on the coast with kite string and chicken necks on a pier. My son got to experience this also and still talks about it. Have no problem sitting around a pile of hot spicy crabs with cold beverage.

St. Anger

Guaranteed A Red Thumb
Reaction score
i seem to remember crab boils being as common as crawfish boils back in the olden times

so what's the deal?
C'mon over the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Steamed crabs are the best. Steam them in beer with Old Bay? The best.

St. Anger

Guaranteed A Red Thumb
Reaction score
Too much work for too little food.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Picking crabs is more of an event than a meal. Now, if you sit for six hours consuming large amounts of beer, you get more than enough crab meat. :very_happy:

CountWhoDat

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
My friend and I go crabbing from time to time and boil what we catch. Usually its not enough to have a full crab boil and invite people over, but it's still fun and delicious. Crabs are in fact labor-intensive for the reward you get, but considering the expense of buying boiled crabs, I tend to think its worth it.

LOONEY

gulf war vet
Reaction score

so what's the deal?
I havent thought about crab boils in a long time , when i was kid each summer we would get a camp out in little woods , my uncle had at least 100 crab traps and every day and every afternoon we would run the traps and collect the crabs then have a giant crab boil, miss those days.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Crabs are much more scarce now and if you buy from a market, they have gotten very expensive.

LafourcheSaint

Silvergun Superman
Reaction score
I remember very few crab boils. We usually just did/do it as a family thing on occasion.

Now, while not as common as a crawfish boil, I've been to quite a few shrimp boils.

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
C'mon over the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Steamed crabs are the best. Steam them in beer with Old Bay? The best.

See those crabs, they came out of Lake Pontchartrain... That's why you don't see crab boils as often... Most of the catch gets shipped to Baltimore believe it or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom