Whatever I just watched is not LSU football (1 Viewer)

SuperSaint

Trek expert & WoW junkie
Reaction score
Whatever defense they're teaching during the week, IT AIN'T WORKING.

Was the 2019 championship that much of a fluke?

Orgeron's hot seat just got hotter.

Looking at our remaining schedule, we'll only be favored in one more game this year, and that's against ULM.

Don't know if Coach O survives that...

I think he actually went after Burrow pretty aggressively .. there was another school Joe was considering, and from what i recall , Ed was really persuasive in getting him to choose the Tigers.
I think he probably just meant that Joe Burrow came available when the Buckeyes decided to play another quarterback. LSU may not have been Joe's first choice, but once Orgeron convinced him that he would be the starter at LSU, then Joe knew he was going to get the shot he was looking for.

And aren't we glad that Ohio State flubbed that decision so badly! Joe was the one piece that Ed didn't have to make the championship run. Unfortunately it was that amazing success that has us stuck with Orgeron in these following seasons of futility ever since. :covri:

I think he probably just meant that Joe Burrow came available when the Buckeyes decided to play another quarterback. LSU may not have been Joe's first choice, but once Orgeron convinced him that he would be the starter at LSU, then Joe knew he was going to get the shot he was looking for.

And aren't we glad that Ohio State flubbed that decision so badly! Joe was the one piece that Ed didn't have to make the championship run. Unfortunately it was that amazing success that has us stuck with Orgeron in these following seasons of futility ever since. :covri:

Ironically, i think the other school Joe was considering may have been U of Cincinnati, where LSU HC frontrunnung candidate Luke Fickell is coach…. Or i could be totally imagining that, in which case it isnt ironic at all.

What I actually meant is that NOBODY thought Joe Burrow was going to be that good. If they said they did, they are lying.

Yeah we got him, but we got Peyton Manning for a year. Not college Peyton Manning. Indianapolis Colts Peyton Manning. Nobody could have seen that coming. Like Newton. Chizik fell into that with dumb luck, just like Orgeron.......

What I actually meant is that NOBODY thought Joe Burrow was going to be that good. If they said they did, they are lying.

Yeah we got him, but we got Peyton Manning for a year. Not college Peyton Manning. Indianapolis Colts Peyton Manning. Nobody could have seen that coming. Like Newton. Chizik fell into that with dumb luck, just like Orgeron.......
Obviously Burrow felt/knew that he was 1st string caliber and that he deserved to be a starter somewhere, and his only chance was to go the transfer route. But what was insane is that even though Burrow wasn't a proven commodity he was already head & shoulders above what we had on our squad. So if we hadn't found a QB like Burrow, in 2019 we would have had a championship level squad with no QB good enough to carry us through the season and the playoffs.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to :banghead: regarding the LSU football program. A kid that was evaluated as a bench rider at Ohio State was so much better than the kids we had recruited to play QB at LSU. And now with Joe gone we are relegated to playing our former bench riders once again.

With the current state of our football team, it's a good thing we don't have a great QB this season who would be stuck in the failing program that we have now. That would be a crying shame. I know that Joe Burrow types don't grow on trees, but it would be nice if it wouldn't take a decade or more to luck up and get the right combination of players in order to be competitive again. :covri:

Last edited:

I agree. I do however think two of Burrow's best games and a good indication of what he could be leader/talent wise was the TAMU game and the UCF game. TAMU just showed shear guts/grit and leadership. UCF game showed stone cold killer competitiveness after the cheap shot.

I'm sure i'm in the minority here but I personally wouldn't fire Coach O just yet. He deserves at least 1 more season before making that decision. After the championship year, he lost nearly all of his players and a good deal of his staff left as well. I don't know what coach could have done better.

I'm sure i'm in the minority here but I personally wouldn't fire Coach O just yet. He deserves at least 1 more season before making that decision. After the championship year, he lost nearly all of his players and a good deal of his staff left as well. I don't know what coach could have done better.

I was with you up until last weekend.. i actually went as far as to say (in another thread) that last year , 2020, counts for exactly zero, for the reasons you mentioned.. so we are really only judging him on this year, 2021.. which has been an abject disaster.. and losing to KY , nay- getting SHELLACKED by KY, along with everything else- is a bridge too far…. My only caveat is that if we somehow win vs FL this coming weekend- even if it’s close- then follow that up with wins vs Bama, A&M, etc.. and maybe only drop one more game this year, then i agree with you he should stay.. but i am so pessimistic that that will happen, that id be willing to bet my 40k against it.

I certainly understand why he lost so much staff, but I don't understand how he replaced them by not interviewing people. Then he fires those guys and hires two coordinators that have never called plays before.

I think O has been given plenty of opportunity and squandered it all...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom