What's for lunch and Restaurant Reviews thread... (3 Viewers)

Please. You must have been buzzed.
-------------------------------------------------
Went to Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse for lunch today, and it remains the most overrated restaurant in the city. We had a medium-sized party, and they screwed up various orders, forgot drinks, etc. (typical for that establishment).

I had a bowl of Gumbo, the 16 oz. Cast Iron NY Strip, a cafe au lait and some cafe au lait ice cream.

Our waiter had a phony English accent by way of Des Moines or Dubuque, It was over the top. My gumbo was reasonably good, but there was one piece of mystery meat that no one at my table could identify. It kind of looked like a burned piece of shrimp, but the inside meat was orange and stringy. I tried a tiny piece, but I also couldn't identify it (possibly turtle????) so I just left it at the bottom of my bowl. I ordered my steak "pink" because they routinely screw up the temperature when you order via traditional calls (rare, medium-rare, medium-well, etc.) figuring I'd get something between medium and medium rare at worst. Wrong! It was "brown" and the edges had been burned to a crisp rendering that delicious steak fat worthless. Nothing like having a high expectation for a steak and it ends up tasting like leather. :shrug: Fortunately, a couple of guys ordered their mashed sweet potatoes and creamed mashed potatoes, both of which made for much better eating than the steak did.

My cafe au lait was good albeit a bit watery, and the cafe au lait ice cream (du jour) was the best thing I had.

IMHO, Dickie Brennan's is fortunate that I give them 2 stars (out of 5) witha price at about 4.5. Can I reiterate? OVERRATED This continues the +/- 50% visits being horrible or having major flaws.

TPS

Please. You must have been buzzed.
-------------------------------------------------
Went to Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse for lunch today, and it remains the most overrated restaurant in the city. We had a medium-sized party, and they screwed up various orders, forgot drinks, etc. (typical for that establishment).

I had a bowl of Gumbo, the 16 oz. Cast Iron NY Strip, a cafe au lait and some cafe au lait ice cream.

Our waiter had a phony English accent by way of Des Moines or Dubuque, It was over the top. My gumbo was reasonably good, but there was one piece of mystery meat that no one at my table could identify. It kind of looked like a burned piece of shrimp, but the inside meat was orange and stringy. I tried a tiny piece, but I also couldn't identify it (possibly turtle????) so I just left it at the bottom of my bowl. I ordered my steak "pink" because they routinely screw up the temperature when you order via traditional calls (rare, medium-rare, medium-well, etc.) figuring I'd get something between medium and medium rare at worst. Wrong! It was "brown" and the edges had been burned to a crisp rendering that delicious steak fat worthless. Nothing like having a high expectation for a steak and it ends up tasting like leather. :shrug: Fortunately, a couple of guys ordered their mashed sweet potatoes and creamed mashed potatoes, both of which made for much better eating than the steak did.

My cafe au lait was good albeit a bit watery, and the cafe au lait ice cream (du jour) was the best thing I had.

IMHO, Dickie Brennan's is fortunate that I give them 2 stars (out of 5) witha price at about 4.5. Can I reiterate? OVERRATED This continues the +/- 50% visits being horrible or having major flaws.

TPS

how much money do you spend a week on dining out? must be nice to have five pockets full of money...

i think you go out to eat more in one week than we do all year.

thesmallbrownpaperbagsandziplockbaggiescanbefoundinislenumber9

hahaha. Very little it turns out. My dad and I go out at least once a week and he demands that he treats (unless it's his birthday). I go out with my youngest brother every couple of weeks. And I might have lunch with killah tomorrow somewhere downtown or uptown depending on if both of us have the time.

Overall, I eat out about 3 times a week (not including fast food 3 other meals). And hell, my stomach hasn't been this skinny (maybe a 31 waistline) since I was 16. I found the fountain of midsectional youth (reducing beer consumption meant 4" off the belly with no effort at all).

:rock:

TPS

hahaha. Very little it turns out. My dad and I go out at least once a week and he demands that he treats (unless it's his birthday). I go out with my youngest brother every couple of weeks. And I might have lunch with killah tomorrow somewhere downtown or uptown depending on if both of us have the time.

Overall, I eat out about 3 times a week (not including fast food 3 other meals). And hell, my stomach hasn't been this skinny (maybe a 31 waistline) since I was 16. I found the fountain of midsectional youth (reducing beer consumption meant 4" off the belly with no effort at all).

:rock:

TPS

when you make it up here next time..take my sidekick out to Salvatore's Italian Gardens...since we have a 100 gift certificate that has been sitting on the microwave since last spring. I have no interest in putting on a collar shirt,slacks and i tie and have a waiter stand over me watching my every move.

i just yelped down to her that SuperSteve is going to take you out with that dinner coupon..

she said "Fine,id probably have a better time with him than i would with you" :(

inthedoghouseagain

Saints#34, come say hi to me next time you're at Martin's. Just don't ask for me by "moderator". I don't usually go by that over here. ;) You've got to try brunch here one day. The menu is usually quite fun. I'm all over the white chocolate pancakes with pure cane syrup, dried cherries and pecans. Yum.

Went to Whole Foods on Vets for lunch today and picked up a pound of smoked brisket, some wheat buns, Hoffstadt Farms (Kentwood, LA) winter tomatoes (the best you can find in the area by far), house guac, tortilla strips and a fresh bottle of Austin's Own (Medium) Texas-style BBQ sauce [the kind you would love if...].

I was mostly buying that stuff for my kids for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow, but I couldn't resist sampling a sandwich for myself. Mmm.

TPSleepy

Cool Al's in Jackson, MS for Lunch today

This place used to be called Stamps II Superburger. Some of you probably ate there during training camp this summer. There is some family dispute over the name and menu, hence the name change.

I got the "small" burger, lemon-pepper seasoned fries and a diet coke. The burgers are about 1/3 to 1/2 pound and fully dressed. I couldn't finish all the fries, which appear to be hand-cut with some skin on. However, the burger was completely consumed in all its cholesterol-laden goodness.

This is not your linen table cloth, low-calorie type of establishment, but I highly recommend it as a good burger joint.

Hey Air Horn-

Last time I was in Jackson, I ate at a really good hole-in-the-wall type greek place, somewhere right around Millsaps. Do you know this place & have you tried it out?

This place used to be called Stamps II Superburger. Some of you probably ate there during training camp this summer. There is some family dispute over the name and menu, hence the name change.

I got the "small" burger, lemon-pepper seasoned fries and a diet coke. The burgers are about 1/3 to 1/2 pound and fully dressed. I couldn't finish all the fries, which appear to be hand-cut with some skin on. However, the burger was completely consumed in all its cholesterol-laden goodness.

This is not your linen table cloth, low-calorie type of establishment, but I highly recommend it as a good burger joint.

Now you're talking..that's my kind of place and i've always loved the Jackson area..good down to earth people there from what i remember. And nothing like going to a place that your not afraid to slop up your t-shirt because you went to heavy on the mustard,relish and ketchup.. and i love to hit the bottom of a french fry bag and find a small piece of crispy fish or a hush puppy that was deep fried the day before.

I never heard of the place before,Horn...

but if they serve cold beer and mississippi mud pie or slices of any pie with those burger and fries..i'd be in heaven.

the heck with those suit and tie "trying to impress" places.

>>>Hey Air Horn-

Last time I was in Jackson, I ate at a really good hole-in-the-wall type greek place, somewhere right around Millsaps. Do you know this place & have you tried it out?>>>

I think Keifer's is the place. Gyros and other such Greek gastonomic goodies across the street from Baptist Hospital. Been a fan for a long time.

>>>Now you're talking..that's my kind of place and i've always loved the Jackson area..good down to earth people there from what i remember. And nothing like going to a place that your not afraid to slop up your t-shirt because you went to heavy on the mustard,relish and ketchup.. and i love to hit the bottom of a french fry bag and find a small piece of crispy fish or a hush puppy that was deep fried the day before.

but if they serve cold beer and mississippi mud pie or slices of any pie with those burger and fries..i'd be in heaven.

the heck with those suit and tie "trying to impress" places.>>

Amen, Bro! I wear jeans or shorts every day and find plenty of GOOD places to eat. I'll share my Jackson soul food picks later if anybody is interested.

I'm pretty sure you can get a brew at Stamps, err Cool Al's, but the dessert offerings are limited. You won't have to go far to get something sweet!

>>>Hey Air Horn-

Last time I was in Jackson, I ate at a really good hole-in-the-wall type greek place, somewhere right around Millsaps. Do you know this place & have you tried it out?>>>

I think Keifer's is the place. Gyros and other such Greek gastonomic goodies across the street from Baptist Hospital. Been a fan for a long time.

>>>Now you're talking..that's my kind of place and i've always loved the Jackson area..good down to earth people there from what i remember. And nothing like going to a place that your not afraid to slop up your t-shirt because you went to heavy on the mustard,relish and ketchup.. and i love to hit the bottom of a french fry bag and find a small piece of crispy fish or a hush puppy that was deep fried the day before.

the heck with those suit and tie "trying to impress" places.>>

Amen, Bro! I wear jeans or shorts every day and find plenty of GOOD places to eat. I'll share my Jackson soul food picks later if anybody is interested.

I'd be interested in your reads. Hey,nothing like a mom and pop true-blue southern place that slow cooks the ribs over a pit out in the back..we don't get that up here. And i'll tell you that it's almost impossible to sides like collared greens..made the old fashioned way. with the vinegar and chopped bacon and grease added when the leaves are still hot and just out of the boiling water. We went to a place called aly-ops up here which most think is the best..i would rate the place 2 stars out of 5 at best.my biggest "beef" is that they claim to have hickory ribs..they use a hickory flavored sauce after grilling but don't use hickory chips? You need that smoke flavor..and also they serve regular dough biscuits instead of corn bread/muffins.

and trying to get a slice of pecan or mississippi mud pie is almost impossible!

and speaking of some good place for bbq down in the gulf coast area..one of the best places that i've ever been to was in orange beach (big white bull in front),called Jakes. That was the first time i introduced my wife and son to alligator..i told them they were chicken nuggets.. LOL...they weren't happy in the beginning when i told them but they did enjou and cleaned off the big platter plate.

give me your best places to hit in MS..i'll get down there sometime in the near future and will give them a "test-run".

No buffet places though :)

If your in the Quarter, Irene's is a must-the duck is absolutely to die for. For a quick bite the Coffee Pot next to Pat O's. Cafe Maspero's is 1 of the best deals in the qtr. Verti Mart & Matassa's are only good for delivery. Angeli's for pizza and spinach sandwichs. ZydeQue is surprisingly good bbq. Ruth Chris in Metairie just isn't the same. If your in Metairie Drago's for oysters, Bravo's has a wonderful pork chop, Maple Cafe is very good. Salavtorie's great trout.
We eat out a couple times a week also, not counting lunch. My son is destined to be a food critic.

Saints#34, come say hi to me next time you're at Martin's. Just don't ask for me by "moderator". I don't usually go by that over here. ;) You've got to try brunch here one day. The menu is usually quite fun. I'm all over the white chocolate pancakes with pure cane syrup, dried cherries and pecans. Yum.

I certainly will...you work every day?

Also, do they only serve brunch on sunday? That would make sense, just curious though...

Mmm. I went to Vincent's for lunch today and it was as good as ever. They start you off (at lunch only) with delicious house garlic and herb bread. I had some rootbeer while waiting for dad. I then got the stuffed mushroom appetizer. It was the 3rd time I'd been since lunch and the 3rd time it was prepared differently. No complaints (even though the 2nd time I went it was the best ever). This version was done with shrimp and crawfish stuffing over some type of herbed-cream sauce. Mmm. I had the house salad with the standard in-house Italian dressing to go along with my entree'. I got the jumbo lump crabmeat and shrimp done in a champagne beurre-blanc sauce over pasta with fresh grated parmesian and asked for it without the parmesian. They, instead, brought it to me without the pasta and in a bowl. But I didn't care. I used a spoon to gobble up the delicious jumbo lump crab. Man was that good (would have been better on pasta, but I'd never have been able to eat even half of it).

Service was very attentive as always, and 2 of the proprietor's family members came out to check on us while we were eating.

Vincent's on St. Charles remains an outstanding 3 beans (out of 5) and a 3 $$$ though you can easily get great stuff on their menu for cheaper.

I can't wait to go back soon.

TPS

ranch sunflower seeds, lance crackers, and mountain dew code red...

/toodangbusytoleave

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom