What's for lunch and Restaurant Reviews thread... (2 Viewers)

I concur on the best steak being the NY strip at Mr. John's Steakhouse. Took my FIL there last Father's Day and I dream of going back.

I went to Bistro Daisy for a date night with the wife 3 weeks ago. Top 3 dinner I've had in my 14 years here. Apps, Wine, 2 Entrees and tax = $85 before tip. I had this:

braised lamb shank over gnocchi, arugula, Nicoise olives, roasted
onion and pine nuts with tomato, mint and rosemary ragout

I took a bite and melted into my seat at the deliciousness.

Nice job, B!

I can't go out on Valentines. Can't afford to pay retail for the special occasion champagne and, for some odd reason, my tiny wife always wants steak or Veal Chops on VD so I'm certainly not going to one of the marginal local steak joints paying through the nose for bottles of champagne or red wine.

So, instead, it's one of the times I cook.

This year, we had 2 other couples and served filets for the ladies and bone in strips for the doods.

I made a demi glace a few weeks back so prep was easy.

creole mustard, shallots, a little champagne, thyme and champagne vinegar got the heat then mixed into the DG with some butter for sauce.

Did a red rice side with proscuitto wrapped asparagus with some fresh sage crisped and sprinkled.

Apps were simple sundried tomatoes, blue cheese puffs in fillo over mixed greens and sprinkled with vinaigrette.

By the way, anyone who has a Primo ceramic grill needs to buck up and buy the fan assist. It rocks. I was able to get my fire up over the 1000 degree max my laser pointer reads and was very happy with it. I don't know where she got it, but that was a great VD present.

Oh, and the 2007 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan was far and away the hit of the show, but the jalapeno cheetos dipped in chocolate were close!

I concur on the best steak being the NY strip at Mr. John's Steakhouse. Took my FIL there last Father's Day and I dream of going back.

I went to Bistro Daisy for a date night with the wife 3 weeks ago. Top 3 dinner I've had in my 14 years here. Apps, Wine, 2 Entrees and tax = $85 before tip. I had this:

Bistro Daisy is great, but the crowd is so old! It isn't wrong, just kind of bizzare. I've never really noticed it before in most other restaurants, but in Bistro Daisy I am usually the youngest patron by about 30-40 years, easy.

We had Bistro Daisey a few weeks ago after colleagues talking about it. We enjoyed ourselves. I would concur about it being in my "top" list. Although, it would probably be in my top ten, not top three. The gnocchi stole the show. You think you felt old. We called ahead and they said they were kid friendly....Ha. Our one year old had no business being there. Although you wouldnt know he was there by his actions, we were seated by the door and most grandparent aged people stopped to play with him before moving on to there tables. Food was excellent, service was good to very good, wine list was good and we really liked the atmosphere (minus the age gap).

If you liked this you may like Patois, Dominiques, Lilette. All of which are in my top ten eats in NOLA.

Made the trek all the way down to Verti Marte today for the first time since it re-opened. I was getting a little worried during the wait if I had built it up in my head a little too much. I brought a friend from work and this was a big concern. Then they compounded it by forgetting my sandwich all together! After a hurry fix of my sandwich, we were off to the French Market to sit and eat. As we're on our way there my friend said "this better be _____ worth it!"

Well we sat down, she took her first bite of her Philly cheesesteak and . . . "oh yeah, this was totally worth it." I was saved. I got the Ernie's Powerhouse, which was pretty good, but not one of my favorites from there. I'm glad it is back in business!

My wife and I ate at Juniper in Mandeville for lunch today with some friends and the food was excellent. I had heard good things about Juniper, but this was my first time eating there.

We shared 2 appetizers:

Blackened wedge of French brie over homemade bluberry compote served with warm crustinis with grilled shrimp and Three flash fried green tomatoes topped with Creole sauce and melted smoked Gouda

The 2 soups we had were the Gumbo with chicken, andouille and alligator and also the crab and broccoli.

We both had the same entree which was
two flash fried crab and crawfish cakes over capellini pasta finished with a wild mushroom ragout.

Everything was really good, but the gumbo, the broccoli and crab soup and the entrees were outstanding. I would definitely recommend Juniper to anyone looking for a fine dining Creole restaurant on the Northshore.:9:
http://www.juniperrestaurant.net/index.html

Ate at Bayona for lunch. I was trying to keep it easy so I just had a bite of someone else's sweet breads (delicious) and a duck/cashew butter/pepper jelly sandwich. Unbelievably good.

I don't get to the Northshore to eat much, but I've had dinner at Juniper once, and it was very good.

Had dinner tonight at a crawfish boil in Houston :covri:, but I did get to see a band do an AC/DC/Zeppelin/zydeco medley.

I don't get to the Northshore to eat much, but I've had dinner at Juniper once, and it was very good.

Had dinner tonight at a crawfish boil in Houston :covri:, but I did get to see a band do an AC/DC/Zeppelin/zydeco medley.

Did they have that awful Mayo and Ketchup mixture that is "100% authentic?"

Duck confit club sandwich with manchego & chorizo fries at Capdeville. I'm gonna burst.

Ham melt with onion jam and Abita mustard at Cochon Butcher; washed it down with an LA 31 pale ale.

Four beans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom