What's for lunch and Restaurant Reviews thread... (1 Viewer)

>>I had sea scallops with some sort of buttery citrus white wine sauce on top of a mushroom risotto. It was very good but at least two of the scallops had just a bit of sand still in them...its a prep problem but it definitely takes away from the dish to crunch a grain of sand.

Dude, that's one of the very best meals in the city. Too bad you had some sand on yours, but fresh is fresh ;). When I tried that (was out with a rich atty friend of mine who was in town with his family from Lafayette), it was the first time I'd ever eaten sea scallops. That dish was instantly my favorite seafood dish I'd ever eaten (upscale anyway because bbq shrimp is still #1).

But the wood-fired grill does something to the scallops. I love GW Fins. Had you mentioned the sand particles, they probably would have comped you your entree. They get them in daily from New Bedford. FWIW, if you catch Whole Foods sea scallops fresh in from Glouchester (a day or two after delivery), you can do some amazing things with 'em. I'd taken to blackening them and eating them on salads. Problem is, it's gonna cost you because at $17.95/pound and +/- 10 to a pound, it can get expensive.

Glad to hear about the August experience. I've still never eaten there. Pocket Hercules was a front waiter over there after he left Commanders or wherever he was working before. He was making a mint for waiting (> $50k). I know he had to split after the storm and I heard he was hippying it up in VT, but he doesn't post much anymore. :shrug: He always recommended it highly.

TPS

We had a Halloween Pawty at our palacial, marble-encrusetd St. Charles Ave. offices today. It included hot dogs with chili and homemade vegetable soup (which was quite good after adding some milled mixed peppercorns). Desert was my favorite cake, the Pillsbury chocolate chunk brownie slab like you would love if you have ever been to Sam's along with homemade style Vanila Icecream and chocolate shell. I even had a rait drink (aka red drink, aka cream soda) and a small cup of coke and a hit off the whipped cream dispenser bottle :shrug: . I'm bursting at the seams. Ugh.

TPS

Dude, that's one of the very best meals in the city. Too bad you had some sand on yours, but fresh is fresh ;). When I tried that (was out with a rich atty friend of mine who was in town with his family from Lafayette), it was the first time I'd ever eaten sea scallops. That dish was instantly my favorite seafood dish I'd ever eaten (upscale anyway because bbq shrimp is still #1).

But the wood-fired grill does something to the scallops. I love GW Fins. Had you mentioned the sand particles, they probably would have comped you your entree. They get them in daily from New Bedford. FWIW, if you catch Whole Foods sea scallops fresh in from Glouchester (a day or two after delivery), you can do some amazing things with 'em. I'd taken to blackening them and eating them on salads. Problem is, it's gonna cost you because at $17.95/pound and +/- 10 to a pound, it can get expensive...

TPS

I might have mentioned it had everything else not been so good. But even with the sand the whole experience was really enjoyable, so it wasn't worth mentioning.

I have had scallops several times and I agree, great seafood. They have a lingering sweetness to them, and I love the texture. Never had them blacked though, might have to give it a try. When I get them at the store I usually just saute them up with some butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Sounds pricey but I like to make something a little fancy at least once a week. I've been going fishing on fridays so I've had fresh trout fillets the past two weeks, but I'm ready to try something else. I'll have to give the scallops a try...

As for August, like I mentioned, I think it really is a top 5 restaurant in the city, which is saying something. You have to try and get over there, for someone like you who seems to really enjoy good food its a can't-miss...

If you do make it, you absolutely have to get the crab meat gnocchi...don't miss out on that..

Half and half from Domilise's today. I'm flying out to Raleigh in a little bit.

:)

>>Half and half from Domilise's today. I'm flying out to Raleigh in a little bit.

Say hello to CLAMO for me and don't let him horde the saki.

:shrug:

TPS

Keep it coming :worthy:

Going to NOLA in december and already planning to eat at GW Fins based on your reviews and their website.

All ideas welcome....

>>Going to NOLA in december and already planning to eat at GW Fins based on your reviews and their website.

Just remember that Fins isn't a typical New Orleans style restaurant. It's different from anywhere else because of the ingredients connections they have and the preparation. The first time I went, I had some black drum done up in a cream sauce and it was fantastic (I don't usually like cream sauces either). But the woodfired scallops over the risoto with the wild mushroom ragout is a must at some point.

I haven't been out in a few days, but I'm supposed to be having lunch with an attorney (hopefully not at Dickie Brennans) on Thursday, another one on the 17th and maybe something quick and dirty on Friday if I hook up with killah.

As for New Orleans traditions, I usually take November 1st off (All Saints Day), have lunch with my youngest brother, and go visit my grandparents' tombs just to say hello. Can't make lunch tomorrow since I got a dental appointment with all 3 kids at 1, so we're supposed to be hitting up the cemetaries sometime between 10-12 tomorrow. :shrug:

I need to eat out more.

We had a Halloween Pawty at our palacial, marble-encrusetd St. Charles Ave. offices today. It included hot dogs with chili and homemade vegetable soup (which was quite good after adding some milled mixed peppercorns). Desert was my favorite cake, the Pillsbury chocolate chunk brownie slab like you would love if you have ever been to Sam's along with homemade style Vanila Icecream and chocolate shell. I even had a rait drink (aka red drink, aka cream soda) and a small cup of coke and a hit off the whipped cream dispenser bottle :shrug: . I'm bursting at the seams. Ugh.

TPS

do you have a recipe for hot dog chili?

before anyone replies with Hormel in a can, I want homemade stuff.

>>do you have a recipe for hot dog chili?

I'll PM you aunt fifi's recipe when I can get it from her. It's astoundingly good. Though today she had a tub of pre-made hormel type dog-food stuff. I asked her why, and she said, "Gammy don't have no enagee." :shrug: But she do have the recipe so when I can get it from her, it's all yours.

TPS

A'ite Oates, and I can swear by this as far as hotdog chilli (this ain't chunks of prime beef in a bowl style chilli).

She said:

Fry down your meat and strain and possibly blast quickly with super hot water to get out the grease (not all cause it won't taste good). Return the meat to the pan and if you're including fresh onions, cook them down with the meat at that point (simmer-to-low). Add gawlick powda, a little salt, chilli powder, cumin and/or whatever you want at that point. She said she usually buys 1 Alawm aw 2 Alawm which apparently is a mix that comes in a packet that can go in at that point and makes it very authentic for hotdog chilli. She said she just follows the instructions from there which usually means a can of tomato sauce/rotel or whatever you want to use.

I know there are some better ones on Food Network dot com that include beer and such, but most of that is what I call "bowl" chilli and not so much hot dog chilli. Trust me, if you get it close to what this woman can do, you're going to enjoy it.

TPS

Another quick review:

I went to Martin's today for lunch. Was passing by to go to Sport's Authority after class and decided to grab a bite. I had my chem book so it was nice to sit down for a little while and do some reading while I waited.

I had a roasted chicken quarter over some fingerling potatoes, thin green beans, and baby arugula. It was pretty tasty but not spectacular. But it did remind me of when I went a few weeks ago with a few friends and had duck confit with sweet potatoe (e or no e...always forget) gnocchi in some kind of bechemel or something. Now that was very, very good. One of the best lunches I've had in a while..

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there. I live in Mid-city and come from UNO in the mornings. I finish school around 11 and work at 1 so every now and again I try and grab a bite (Mona's, Liuzza's, Parkway) in the area that's fairly quick. I've just moved back to NOLA and when I was here in high school I had never been to Martin's, so its a fairly new experience for me. So far I've really enjoyed it..

by the way, I picked up their november menu, and two days really stick out to me.
I forget the dates, but one is mussels with saffron risotto, the other is crab meat stuffed flounder. Hopefully those are good days for me so I can get over there, because they sound tasty, and I like having a "dinner-type" meal at lunch every now and again.

edit: Do we have sticky's on the EE? Because this would be a good one. I'd love to get a permanent purely restaurant review page. Our own Tom Fitzmorris style thread...I'm sure there was a similar one on the old skin, I just wasn't in NOLA to add to it or enjoy it.

Last edited:
>>I went to Martin's today for lunch. Was passing by to go to Sport's Authority after class and decided to grab a bite. I had my chem book so it was nice to sit down for a little while and do some reading while I waited.

I've always loved their Roast Beefs over there. Ask for our esteemed moderator Brennan next time you're over there (one on Vets). I've been meaning to get over there for a bite and also in that same area to Fury's for the allegedly great fried chicken (per Tom Fitzmorris a bit after the storm).

Went and did the classic New Orleans All Saints Day tradition with my little brother today. We usually go to lunch, and I'll take the afternoon off to go with him to our grandparent's cemetary plots and wall condos (St. Roch, St. Patrick, Hope). Today, my dad came along and I brought all 3 of my kids with me. Grandma's in St. Rock was okay, the headstone at St. Patricks was cracked, grandma & grandpa (2nd floor at hope) were fine and mom (Lakelawn) who had been flooded out in Katrina had some loose brass letters and some corrosion on them. I wanted to pass the tradition onto our kids and also give them an idea of where the various plots/walls are for future reference. :9: We went to Zeke's afterwards. We all got some onion rings and a few dozen raw oysters. I had the fried shrimp and fries with a salad. It was as good as always (2-2.5 out of 5) and the Abita draft was ice cold. Tomorrow is my first trip to Dickie Brennans (which I can't freaking stand) since Katrina, so hopefully they've improved over the numerous bad meals I've had there over the years (never ever paid the 10-15 times I've eaten there). :shrug: I'll post a report tomorrow afternoon.

TPS

I went to McDonalds today and it was pretty mcgood. It was lunchtime and I was too lazy to prepare anything for myself, so I decided that a Big Mac was in order. I stood in line for about 3 minutes before mcgiving my order to the fat cashier. I immediately started wondering why McDonalds has fat cashiers, when Cane's right down the road has hot coeds. Cane's pays minimum mcwage, so why the difference? I definitely think that McDonalds needs to up their hiring standards. I want a perky 18 year old brunette repeating my order, and winking as she asks if I want ketchup. (I always say no, because I have some ketchup at home. Plus, Cane's sauce is better for fries anyway)

So after I got the Big Mac, I brought it back to my apartment. I hate eating in fast food restaurants. I always feel that if I stay in those buildings for longer than 7 minutes, I will never be able to get the mcsmell off of me for the rest of the day.

So, I unfurled my little wax papered Big Mac and commenced eating. The hot, salty fries mixed with my cold ketchup really was a mcparty in my mouth. I always eat the fries first.

Moving on to the Big Mac, which was prepared with a nice secret sauce in addition to some mclettuce and cheese, I was impressed with the quality of the sesame crusted bread. It really was a nice touch, which I will be sure to emulate in the future. I really need to get my hands on this secret sauce recipe, I assume it is based on mayonnaise? There is some relish in there, too. There is something else that I cannot put my finger on. Thousand Island dressing, perhaps. Mais, je ne sais pas.

All in all, I give it 5 out of 7 stars. It was a good lunch, and well worth the (pretty cheap) price of 5 bucks. Even if they did spit in your drink, you have the last laugh because you drink their spit. And that's kinda like you mcmaking out with them.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom