What's more disrespectful: Confederate flag waving or kneeling, the pole (1 Viewer)

What's more disrespectful?

• Confederate flag waving: they waged war against the U.S. flag and the Republic for which it stands

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Kneeling during the National Anthem: disrespects the flag and the troops

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I find both disrespectful

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I don't find either disrespectful

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if this is going to be considered "political", but given what's happening in the SSF, I think it should be OK to ask this here.

The question is simple: what's more disrespectful to the U.S. flag and the troops? Waving a Confederate flag or kneeling during the National Anthem?

To me, no contest: The Confederacy waged a war against the U.S. flag and the ideals it stands for, and killed U.S. troops. Waving a Confederate flag, Confederate statues, etc. all of that is extremely offensive to the U.S. flag and the troops who wear Old Glory on their uniforms and died for it.

Let's hear some arguments.

Last edited:
The kneeling doesn't bother me. If I felt like it was solidarity in support of a worthy cause, I'd do it. I don't see it as disrespecting the flag as much as saying that our country can and should be better. It's certainly not meant to be an insult to our soldiers, or even necessarily police. I'm more about addressing injustice wherever I see it. Obviously, police brutality is the most visible form of injustice, but there's all kinds out there.

As for the Confederate flag, I don't care for it. Not a flag I can relate to.

I'm angry I didnt think of this first. I suspect the answers will be very interesting.

I am going to get crucified for this I bet, but I voted neither are disrespectful to me. Please be gentle to me and know that I am a first 1st gen American.

the confederate battle flag is a victim of being associated with hatred and bigotry. i don't believe in the values of the confederate army, but it was just a battle flag. today, idiots use it because of racism.

the swastika is another victim. the history behind it, pre-nazism, is that of peace. unfortunately, the nazi regime used it for a symbol of hatred.

kneeling for the anthem doesn't bother me at all. being quiet during it is much more important to me. i'm ok with people expressing their rights in a country based on "freedom." i don't see kneeling as a sign of disrespect.

the only time i'll agree with kaepernick (though the kneeling was more about the injustice of police versus minorities at the time, blame politicians for turning it into campaign crap); the anthem was written by a slave owner, pro slavery until death. i can sympathize with a person of colour finding it offensive.

i find this kind of history interesting. still, i stand for the anthem. i fully support what it ultimately stands for, the land of the free. though kind of ironic because of the man who wrote it.

What a great question..

It's an Honor and Privlege to know that the US forces defeated the Confederate Rebellion of 1861...

What I find even more interesting is a bunch of pirates taking up with Andrew Jackson in 1812...

I am completely blown away by the percentage of people that voted the way that I did, the confederate flag has no place in society, except maybe in the Museum of hate and intolerance, this coming from a Navy man who is more than willing to Kneel during the national anthem In public at any stadium USA. #KNEELFORJUSTICE!

Confederate flag waving.

I understand about heritage and that good people died fighting for it.

But it's time to let it go.

I'm from North Louisiana and I know the kind of people who would fly it or having it waving from their cars or trucks. Usually trucks.

So far I see 13 votes that are part of the problem.

There’s no room for tacoes on this poll.

If there was an other option, I'd pick that, but there wasn't...so...tacoes. :shrug:

To be clear, personally, like I mentioned earlier, I'm completely ambivalent about the Confederate flag for a number of reasons. But I completely understand the visceral reaction the flag evokes in the black community. It certainly is a reminder of a shameful time in our country's history. There are no redeeming qualities related to that flag.

I'd kneel if I thought it would bring attention to a worthy cause, and racism is definitely high on the list of ills in our society.

Last edited:
If there was an other option, I'd pick that, but there wasn't...so...tacoes. :shrug:

To be clear, personally, like I mentioned earlier, I'm completely ambivalent about the Confederate flag for a number of reasons. But I completely understand the visceral reaction the flag evokes in the black community. It certainly is a reminder of a shameful time in our country's history. There are no redeeming qualities related to that flag.

I'd kneel if I thought it would bring attention to a worthy cause, and racism is definitely high on the list of ills in our society.
Kneel, trust me it will bring attention.Just ask kaepernick.

It's not even the real Confederate flag to begin with. If people were to learn the history behind it and what the real CSA flag looked like then maybe they would stop waving it altogether.

Last edited:
the confederate battle flag is a victim of being associated with hatred and bigotry. i don't believe in the values of the confederate army, but it was just a battle flag. today, idiots use it because of racism.
It was a battle flag used by people who wanted to fight for the right to buy and sell people. It's not a victim of hatred and bigotry. It IS a symbol of hatred and bigotry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom