What's more disrespectful: Confederate flag waving or kneeling, the pole (1 Viewer)

What's more disrespectful?

• Confederate flag waving: they waged war against the U.S. flag and the Republic for which it stands

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Kneeling during the National Anthem: disrespects the flag and the troops

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I find both disrespectful

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I don't find either disrespectful

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I feel like the Confederate Flag is the one thing our Freedom of Speech/Freedom of Expression rights should not protect, and it should be considered treason or some sort of crime to brandish it, but that's just me.

To me, it is a symbol of treason, it is a symbol of division, and it is symbol of a segment of society that literally went to war because they did not want to give up their free black slave labor.

I believe it should be banned, and people should face fines or jail time for displaying it in public. Don't care what others think, and don't care if that sounds anti-American to do. This flag or any symbol of the Confederacy of the United States has no business being glorified on United States soil.

Maybe, but Nothern Virginia was only a part of the CSA. Splitting hairs maybe, but to be accurate, they are not one and the same.

For crying out loud ...

Yes, Northern Virginia was only a part of the CSA, which makes the battle flag of Northern Virginia a battle flag of the CSA.

And again, today, that battle flag of Northern Virginia is the flag that's waved to represent the "heritage" of the CSA

Seriously... wtf

Those things don't really highlight anything other than wonton violence and looting because criminals will be criminals and take advantage of a given situation. The protests intent is to highlight injustice. The criminals intent is to get theirs regardless of the message.
also ProudBoys are going to incite violence every time they can

Personally, I feel like the Confederate Flag is the one thing our Freedom of Speech/Freedom of Expression rights should not protect, and it should be considered treason or some sort of crime to brandish it, but that's just me.

To me, it is a symbol of treason, it is a symbol of division, and it is symbol of a segment of society that literally went to war because they did not want to give up their free black slave labor.

I believe it should be banned, and people should face fines or jail time for displaying it in public. Don't care what others think, and don't care if that sounds anti-American to do. This flag or any symbol of the Confederacy of the United States has no business being glorified on United States soil.
i'd be interested to read/hear someone describe the difference between US and German counts/speech laws and swastika vs stars and bars

I can agree with that. But I'm not sure we should be banning speech. You can find and read Nazi books and materials same as any other speech.

What we can do, and have been doing to some extent is as a government, not sanctioning or using funds to allow it in public forums. I.E. removing statues from public spaces and changing laws that allow discrimination.

The Confederate States were a rebellion and attempted to split the Union in two, and certainly in no small part to Lincoln's efforts, preserved to Union.

I always did wonder what the world would look like today had the CSA succeeded in splitting from the Union. I don’t think it would have been pretty.

i'd be interested to read/hear someone describe the difference between US and German counts/speech laws and swastika vs stars and bars

Counts? Did you mean courts? Just curious.

As for Nazi and CSA speech, I don’t see a whole lot of difference between the two, and both should be given the same treatment.

Counts? Did you mean courts? Just curious.

As for Nazi and CSA speech, I don’t see a whole lot of difference between the two, and both should be given the same treatment.
yes couRts
i'd love to make some Count von Germanname joke, but i'm a bit nappy now

It was a battle flag used by people who wanted to fight for the right to buy and sell people. It's not a victim of hatred and bigotry. It IS a symbol of hatred and bigotry.
don't misunderstand, i agree. it is just unfortunate that a simple flag had become a symbol of hatred. the flag was just a flag. it is not responsible for what it has become decades after as a poster child for hatred. the "south" was in the wrong. i also disagree with erasing history, but it is hard when people abuse it. that is what the confederate battle flag has become.

Well, this is a start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom