What's more disrespectful: Confederate flag waving or kneeling, the pole (1 Viewer)

What's more disrespectful?

• Confederate flag waving: they waged war against the U.S. flag and the Republic for which it stands

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Kneeling during the National Anthem: disrespects the flag and the troops

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I find both disrespectful

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I don't find either disrespectful

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't misunderstand, i agree. it is just unfortunate that a simple flag had become a symbol of hatred. the flag was just a flag. it is not responsible for what it has become decades after as a poster child for hatred. the "south" was in the wrong. i also disagree with erasing history, but it is hard when people abuse it. that is what the confederate battle flag has become.
That's not what is has become. That's what it was since the first day it was conceived. It didn't undergo some transformative process from a symbol of hope to a symbol of racism. It's always been a symbol of racism.

That's not what is has become. That's what it was since the first day it was conceived. It didn't undergo some transformative process from a symbol of hope to a symbol of racism. It's always been a symbol of racism.
you are right. i won't dispute that.

i'm just trying to point out it was merely a flag. it was used by a bunch of ignorant butt crevasses that at the time, were stupid. unfortunately after the fact, even more ignorant dumbarses used it to the extremes.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
It's not even the real Confederate flag to begin with. If people were to learn the history behind it and what the real CSA flag looked like then maybe they would stop waving it altogether.

confederate flag was blue circle with 13 stars on the red background....the flag everyone so wrongly associates with racism is the confederate battle flag

confederate flag was blue circle with 13 stars on the red background....the flag everyone so wrongly associates with racism is the confederate battle flag

All the flags used by the confederacy are racist. One isn't more racist than another. They're all deplorable. Jesus Christ, I dont give a sheet if it was the knock-off version of the flag that was only sold at Mississippi general stores on Sundays in 1863. It's racist.

All the flags used by the confederacy are racist. One isn't more racist than another. They're all deplorable. Jesus Christ, I dont give a sheet if it was the knock-off version of the flag that was only sold at Mississippi general stores on Sundays in 1863. It's racist.

That's an interesting way to put it. I mean, I don't know. I'm not a historian so I don’t know the full history of the battle flags. I'd at least want to know the origins and reasons things were created and why they became the symbols they are over time. Some symbols deserve their reputations, and some don't. I'd rather we not forget our history, not because it's sacred, but rather because it's something we can learn from, least we repeat mistakes made in the past.

I'm not saying the battle flag isn't racist. I'm just saying I'm not up on the history of it.

That's an interesting way to put it. I mean, I don't know. I'm not a historian so I don’t know the full history of the battle flags. I'd at least want to know the origins and reasons things were created and why they became the symbols they are over time. Some symbols deserve their reputations, and some don't. I'd rather we not forget our history, not because it's sacred, but rather because it's something we can learn from, least we repeat mistakes made in the past.

I'm not saying the battle flag isn't racist. I'm just saying I'm not up on the history of it.

Of course, every flag ever used officially or unofficially by the confederacy has a history. But like all images and flags used by Nazi Germany, there's no arguing they're racist because of the organization that they represent.

A confederate flag that was used unofficially is STILL unAmerican and disrespectful. The distinction being drawn here is superfluous to the intent of the conversation.

Of course, every flag ever used officially or unofficially by the confederacy has a history. But like all images and flags used by Nazi Germany, there's no arguing they're racist because of the organization that they represent.

A confederate flag that was used unofficially is STILL unAmerican and disrespectful. The distinction being drawn here is superfluous to the intent of the conversation.

The swastika was around long before Nazi Germany came around as a religious symbol though. So symbols get corrupted and changed all the time. Same with language. Bad words morph into good ones and vice versa. The swastika on it's own is amoral. Money is amoral. Words are amoral. But how things get used and the intent is what determines meaning. I acknowledge it's a bit of a nitpick, but i think people get obsessed with symbolism when they should be more concerned with the thinking that drives people to be racist, or hateful, or oppressive.

It's a thought anyway.

That's an interesting way to put it. I mean, I don't know. I'm not a historian so I don’t know the full history of the battle flags. I'd at least want to know the origins and reasons things were created and why they became the symbols they are over time.
It is very simple: it is any flag that represented the CSA.

=I'd rather we not forget our history, not because it's sacred, but rather because it's something we can learn from, least we repeat mistakes made in the past.

No one is saying we should forget history. But you don't see Germans plutting up statues of Josef Mengele or fly Nazi flags to remember their history.

The swastika was around long before Nazi Germany came around as a religious symbol though. So symbols get corrupted and changed all the time. Same with language. Bad words morph into good ones and vice versa. The swastika on it's own is amoral.

A hooked cross all on its own may be amoral (although I'd argue that, historically, it is a religious symbol, and therefore it has some level of morality attached to it), but you tilt it, put it inside a white circle, then you put that inside a red square, you very well know exactly what that means.

It is very simple: it is any flag that represented the CSA.

No one is saying we should forget history. But you don't see Germans plutting up statues of Josef Mengele or fly Nazi flags to remember their history.

A hooked cross all on its own may be amoral (although I'd argue that, historically, it is a religious symbol, and therefore it has some level of morality attached to it), but you tilt it, put it inside a white circle, then you put that inside a red square, you very well know exactly what that means.

I guess it's human nature to attach meaning to symbols. I just don't really get attached to symbols much. I have a more visceral reaction to the ideology than to the symbols themselves.

Even if you remove the racism attached to confederate flags, they still represent violent seditionists.

They were fighting for states' rights? Those states' rights were afforded by the constitution and the federal government it created.

If you actually believe in our union as a nation, the United States, you cannot in good faith support flying any confederate flag. You cannot call yourself a patriot and support flying any confederate flag. The only place they belong is in a museum to set an example for current and future generations on what not to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom