What's on your "book Mount Rushmore"? (1 Viewer)

Dune
Lord of the Rings (I know this is a cheat, but I'm not eating up 3 picks with one story)
Watership Down
Confederacy of Dunces.
I have a title for that list: Books Dudes Like.

Though, I did start Confederacy of Dunces once. I should really finish it. Just the title alone is interest piqueing.

Watership Down
I've tried to get through Watership Down for years. I just can't get more than halfway through. I've always heard it's great, but it doesn't do it for me for some reason. It's still on my nightstand, maybe I need to try again.

As cliche as it is, for me it’s truthfully Catcher in the Rye
Catcher in the Rye is my easy favorite. I think probably because I didn't read it in school where I was forced to. I read it much later in life and I feel I probably understood it better then.

My other 4 favorite books:

The Kite Runner
Blood Merdian
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Sharp Objects

I'm not well read enough, so that will bias my picks.
Neither am I . I can fake it with enough Cliff's Notes info but I know I miss out. I have a mental list of things I'd like to read again, things I need to finish, and things I was supposed to read but didn't because I could Cliff's Notes fake it.

I tried Wuthering Heights and because I'm very aural, I could not get beyond hearing Joseph's Yorkshire dialect in my head and feeling like I needed subtitles.

Catcher in the Rye is my easy favorite. I think probably because I didn't read it in school where I was forced to. I read it much later in life and I feel I probably understood it better then.

I was younger when i read it, about 13, but it wasnt assigned in school, i too read it on my own- which i agree does make a difference.

I realize that this thread is specific to books- but one other incredibly impactful thing that happened at right around that same formative age for me, actually within the same few months that i read Catcher- was the movie Ferris Bueller‘s Day Off…. To this day, it’s the only movie ive ever sat through twice in a row in a movie theater.. While Holden Caulfield is a memorable, profoundly unique character- i never really aspired to be like him (though i did like his casual, /non-phony’ communication style)…. Whereas, with FBDO- all my life i have aspired to be like Ferris…. “Cameron, you realize if we’d played by the rules, we’d be in gym class right now?”.. Just trying to beat the system every day, in my own little ways.

Though, I did start Confederacy of Dunces once. I should really finish it. Just the title alone is interest piqueing.
it's really one of those books you have to force yourself to get through the first 50 pages or so

one of the books on my list, Foucalt's Pendulum, was like that for me - picked it up/put it down 4 different times before i finally caught the gear

The opinions of some of authors on my list do not represent any of personally held beliefs.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
The Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
If - Rudyard Kipling
The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors "This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can"

Chickenhawk
A Higher Call
Endurance
11/22/63
A Confederacy of Dunces
Slaughterhouse Five

Neither am I . I can fake it with enough Cliff's Notes info but I know I miss out. I have a mental list of things I'd like to read again, things I need to finish, and things I was supposed to read but didn't because I could Cliff's Notes fake it.

The internet has absolutely destroyed my attention span.. I blame you people ! Seriously, i cant remember the last time i read a book…. But when i was younger, i was a very avid reader, and i started reading very early.. my favorite books back then were the Hardy Boys, and the Judy Blume books aimed at boys, like Then Again, Maybe I Won’t…. Also Freckle Juice and Superfudge .. But my absolute favorites were the Encyclopedia Brown series.

Even as a young adult, though he’s kind of looked down upon down- i really enjoyed John Grisham’s novels.. The Firm is still one of my all time favorites (cant stand the last 1/3rd of the film version to this day since they changed it so much.)

The Holy Bible
Pilgrim's Progress
Antichrist and a Cup of Tea
Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul

Someone gave me a book in the parking lot, after I went surfing, forget the book's name, but maybe you guys can help me with the title.

The bit I remember about the book was, a daughter of rich man, lived in the Amazon, but I believe the father died, and the estate was looking for the daughter. Does this sound familiar? I think it was a popular book, not sure.

Last edited:
I've tried to get through Watership Down for years. I just can't get more than halfway through. I've always heard it's great, but it doesn't do it for me for some reason. It's still on my nightstand, maybe I need to try again.

My other 4 favorite books:

The Kite Runner
Blood Merdian
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Sharp Objects
I forgot The Kite Runner. That would be right up there for me too.

Just went back and edited my original post since i am kind of out of it today and it went totally over my head that any Mt Rushmore should include FOUR books.. so i added A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and The Firm, to go with my other two.

In no particular order

Shantaram
The Paladin (Garfield)
Jitterbug Perfume (really, anything by Tom Robbins, but that was the first I read)
The Dark is Rising series

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom