What's on your "book Mount Rushmore"? (1 Viewer)

• ASOIAF
  • Anne Rice's vampire series except tale of the body thief.
  • The Expanse
  • Conan the Barbarian books (I know not fancy, but they got me reading and I'll never forget that.)

When I was graduating high school, my English teacher was retiring. She had been teaching since before the school was built. She had taught the parents of many of my classmates. She knew how to make literature come alive. Very few people missed her classes.

As I was leaving on our last day she opened a closet and started handing out paperbacks. She gave me Watership Down. I didn't get it. I had judged the book by its cover. I kept the book for years before I read it. I couldn't believe that we didn't read that in class. I guess that she thought that it was more beneficial for us to be exposed to Shakespeare. She made it fun, but people would have been amazed by Watership Down.

Outside of that, The Autobiography of Malcolm X,
I could do a whole thread about biographies

Personal favorites

Steve Jobs

Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela

The Fish that Ate the Whale - Samuel Zummury. This one was about Sam the banana man who was a poor Russian who came to NOLA and built a fruit empire. He ended up getting bought by United Fruit but in turn became the president. He was instrumental in CIA tactics, Tulane University and founding the Islamic state. The Tulane president now lives in his house (which he donated to the school - the big White wedding cake house on St Charles Ave)

Other than that I would also include Walden by HDT. I’ve read that a bunch of times and it always speaks to me. Thoreau wrote what could be a training manual for navigating the modern world, especially in this country.

Last edited:
I have never been much of a reader but wanted to see if any of my favorite books as a kid were on anyone's list.....they weren't. I've bought these books for all of my kids although none have ever thought much of them.
Where the red Fern grows
Summer of the monkeys
Call of the wild
And any s.e. hinton book but that was then this is now was my favorite.

My Mount Rushmore of fiction...
Lord of the Rings - Tolkein considered it one volume, not a trilogy

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Watership Down - Richard Adams

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

For non-fiction...
Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad - William Craig

Hamilton - Ron Chernow

Fighting for the Confederacy - E. Porter Alexander (and Gary Gallagher)

All The President's Men - Woodward & Bernstein

In high school when I was supposed to be reading To kill a mockingbird, Jane Eyre and Mrs. Mike, I was actually reading everything Stephen King wrote and clif noting the required. After my teenage smoke filled brain grew up I enough to wrap my head around Jane Eyre I read all 3 of those multiple times.
Now I read whatever is on sale cheap on the Kindle.

Lonesome Dove
Slaughter House 5
LOTR
The Dream and the Tomb

In no particular order:

LOTR
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
To Kill a Mockingbird
Rebecca

Now I’m not going to say Mount Rushmore, but anytime you get an idiot like me to read a book multiple times, let alone once, that’s really saying something.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

LOTR
The Wizard of Oz
To Kill a Mockingbird
Rebecca

Now I’m not going to say Mount Rushmore, but anytime you get an idiot like me to read a novel multiple times, let alone once, that’s really saying something.
The Wizard of Oz was a book?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom