What's the biggest hole on the roster? I say backup T (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
You've got Peat, but that's it. I have no confidence in Ola, the just waived Wozniak. Not even sure who else there is.

Bottom line, Peat goes down, I think we're fine with Easton/Tom/Clapp. Armstead goes down, we can survive with Peat. They both get nicked like last year, team's in trouble. Ram goes down, and uh oh because Peat sucks on the right side.

On paper, this is clearly the weakness of the team. Backup LB might be second imo. You've got Robertson and Ellis is promising but not much else. Biegl by some indications is looking decent.

Team needs a swing tackle who can spot start. Always roster cuts may provide better then what we got in camp. But yeah key spot we a little thin at. Say Tackle and WR deph

Was looking at one guy's 53 man roster projection. STACKED across the board. Very exciting. But I would agree, biggest holes are probably backup LT and 3rd string RB.

Didn't we sign a veteran T at the start of FA? I know we did, actually. I just can't remember his name. Now I do...Marshall Newhouse. I'd say he's better depth than Bushrod was last year. He's only started half of the games in his career, but we signed him to be a backup, not a starter, so I don't think it's an issue. Like with any backup T, we'll have to give them help with a TE or a chip from a RB.

Most people are projecting Marshall Newhouse as the backup tackle. He has 72 games of experience as a starting tackle.

This. Any time you have a player with starting experience as a backup, that's a good thing. You hope you never have to start him but if he does have to start a few games at least you know he isn't going to embarrass himself and get the QB killed.

You're right though, if Armstead and Ram both get nicked up then we're in trouble. But how many teams in the league would be fine losing both starting Tackles? Probably not that many. Having Peat around makes me feel better about the annual Armstead injury. Peat might not be a great Guard but he's one helluva backup LT.

Most people are projecting Marshall Newhouse as the backup tackle. He has 72 games of experience as a starting tackle.
And OL have long careers too. He's 9 years into his career but only has half the wear and tear that he would if he'd started the whole time. For a backup, I think we could do a lot worse. There's a reason we signed him so early in FA.

Forgot about Newhouse. Know nothing about him. Hopefully, he can be a decent stop gap in an emergency. Bushrod was just ok last year and started fading the more he played.

The only spot up for grabs seems to be PR, everything else is a go

Armstead goes down we can slide Peat over to LT and we have plenty of interior line depth to handle the LG duties.
And THAT is about as good as it gets in the NFL.

If Armstead AND Peat are out, we'll still be good, but basically in the same boat we were in last season. Just gotta hope that week we don't play against a team with a top RDE. No team in the NFL would be okay if their 1st and 2nd string LT were out.

If Armstead AND Ramczyk both go down, we'll be starting Peat at LT and whoever our other OT is on the right side. We could survive that for a short time, and even THAT is better than almost any NFL team can say.

If Armstead, Peat, and Ramczyk would all be out, then we'd be in a pickle. Same pickle we were in last year when Peat, Bushrod, and Armstead were all out... and Ramczyk, Warford, and Unger were all playing wounded. No team has the OL depth to absorb missed time by multiple starters. In fact, that issue has absolutely killed seasons for many really good teams over the years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom