What's the deal with censorship of old TV series Quantum Leap? (1 Viewer)

saints4eva

We are the Who Dat Nation-we will always persevere
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was happy to see Quantum Leap is being shown on Comet TV. I dvr'd some episodes and was shocked to see they had bleeped out anything that might be considered racially sensitive language. I mean every single word. The episode about Sam leaping into a newly inducted member of the Klan was so replete with bleeps it was downright ridiculous.

The whole episode was a commentary on racism and yet even in its attempt to tell a story with lesson, the crux of it was wiped out in one fell swoop by censorship.

It burns my biscuits that they're doing this... for NO GOOD REASON. Can't see the forest for the trees smh.

Chime in your own take.

It looks like it's a thing with Comet TV, and not specific to Quantum Leap. Quick check of the Intertubz shows they've done stuff like this to many of their shows.

Comet TV is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Their HQ is a little over 30 minutes from my house. They own many, many TV stations, with a bunch of them as local FOX affiliates. Oh, and side note, they also own a bunch of the Bally's regional sports networks.

They have a particular slant, and they are...very conservative.

It looks like it's a thing with Comet TV, and not specific to Quantum Leap. Quick check of the Intertubz shows they've done stuff like this to many of their shows.

Comet TV is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. Their HQ is a little over 30 minutes from my house. They own many, many TV stations, with a bunch of them as local FOX affiliates. Oh, and side note, they also own a bunch of the Bally's regional sports networks.

Thanks for the info I didn't know that.

Hopefully another network will show Quantum Leap. I love the show

Super, I want to personally thank you for your efforts to correct past injustices by actually rectifying these real said events directly subtly, or perhaps more assertively. Although not a quantum physicist, these dogged, persistent efforts were misunderstood by select members of your family, or long-time friends. It was maddening and it extremely frustrating to have these feelings or realize you're trapped by these misconceptions by those once very close to you have towards you.

But, still your persistence and adherence to these meaningful, deeply rooted values has not wavered. And with each kind, altruistic act of compassion, empathy, and dogged pursuit of justice will be the leap of faith for those holdouts back home....

Last edited:
Fantastic show. Networks have the right to censor their own content. Censoring that is stupid in my opinion as it was clearly an anti racist episode but whatever. Are we censoring amazing works of media like Roots and The Color Purple next?

I still haven’t seen Straight Outta Compton, the movie that came out a few years ago, becuase every time i see it‘s being aired, it’s on USA network or something where i think to myself ‘Why bother?’ since half the entertainment from a movie about NWA, i would imagine, would be the nonstop string of expletives.. i honestly can’t understand why a basic cable network like that , or it’s parent company, would even buy the rights or attempt to air a movie like that with all the dubbing and bleeping that has to be done.. obviously there are viewers that wouldnt be bothered by all the editing , I’m not one of them.

But i guess i dont wanna see it enough to pay the measly $3.99 or whatever i could probably rent it for lol.. that reminds me, i need to see if it’s come to any of the streaming services yet, last time i checked it hadnt.

I thought Sinclair sold the regional Fox Sports networks and the new owner put it under the Bally's umbrella.

(Learn something new everyday.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom