Whats the deal with IPHONE and flash (1 Viewer)

Apple is really controlling about execution on its platform. It doesn't like Flash because it would allow execution of code that has not been Apple certified. There are probably other reasons as well, such as not wanting to pay licensing fees.

Apple tried to explain this by saying that their problem with Flash is that it is not based on an open standard. The irony with this statement is that Apple has been known to adopt open standards and give them a proprietary twist to claim them as their own.

Apple has shipped non-standard USB extension cables with some of their computers, for use with the included Apple USB keyboards. The extension cable's socket is keyed with a small protrusion to prevent the insertion of a standard USB plug, while the Apple USB keyboard's plug has a matching indentation. The indentation on the keyboard's plug does not interfere with insertion into a standard USB socket. Despite the keying, it is still possible to insert standard USB plugs into the extension cord. The protrusion can also be shaved off with an appropriate blade, or crushed with locking pliers.

I was told there was another example, but I'm finding it difficult to locate.

Apple tried to explain this by saying that their problem with Flash is that it is not based on an open standard. The irony with this statement is that Apple has been known to adopt open standards with a proprietary twist.

OSX is based on an open standard (*bsd) with proprietary twists.

Hey dude, this has nothing to do with the fact that Flash may suck, or that HTML 5 is the wave of the future. We will burn that bridge when we get there.

Just because Apple does not have a high opinion of Flash does not mean that they should not have flash support on there phone. Bottom line is not having flash prevents me from doing 20% or more on the internet that I want to do.

That would be like buying a 1080P tv without the ability to watch standard 480i resolution.

Just because my 5k Pioneer has the best picture on Earth, does not mean that I dont want the ability to watch a black and white version of Leave it to Beaver on 480I.
My HDTV being able to transmit signals from yesteryear does not in any way shape or form hinder the progress of tommorows technology.

HTML 5 will one day overtake Flash 100%, and this will not be an issue.

But until then they should at least allow it in there OS.

Bottom line is I can do 20% more from a droid phone then an IPHONE.

And thats all this guy from a football message board has to say about that.

It has everything to do with flash sucking. If it didn't suck, Apple would include it.

Your analogy doesn't work. Watching 480i on your Pioneer (I'm a Pioneer man myself - good stuff) doesn't mess things up. All it does is provide the crummy picture. Flash is bloated and sucks battery life and potentially allows malicious stuff. That's not the same as just enduring bad quality to watch Leave it to Beaver.

And the 20% number is a bit of reach.

Apple wants its users to have a specific type of experience with their product. Flash doesn't provide that experience, so Apple decided to leave it out. People are free to choose whatever device they want, and there's been no shortage of people willing to choose Apple's device. So the flash thing isn't really the big deal you're making it out to be.

Also, if nobody puts pressure on flash to stop sucking, it won't. If nobody puts pressure on people to adopt HTML5, they won't. Apple made a conscious decision to make an issue out of flash's suckitude, and I think it moved everyone closer to HTML5, even if only marginally.

You should email Steve Jobs to thank him.

Other than flash, what can the android do that the iphone can't?

i don't mean "flash custom roms" or "omglol open market". What am I missing?
The custom roms is a huge deal. :idunno:

I'm not saying you can't be happy with an iPh*ne, or that it's not great, but being able to pick and choose between high-customization many options, or sleek lean and long battery life is a very nice feature. I get about triple the performance out of my "old outdated" Droid 1 than I did when I got it.

There are a lot of choices for how you want your phone to look/run. If you prefer the OOBE from Apple, that's perfectly sane, but plenty of people love personalization/optimization and the Android platform is good at that (via lovely "fragmentation").

I've honestly only known a handful of people who weren't satisfied/loyal to their first purchase of iPh*ne/Android. Only one that went over to iPhone with the 4 and she's happy, and only two that went the other way, and they say they're very happy. I've been on Verizon forever, so, though it's coming too late, Apple never really was an option for me, but I'm perfectly happy with my Droid and Galaxy Tab.

Ok so you added appearance and battery life.

I haven't had any battery problems with the iPhone4 (it's actually pretty good). And while I know wdf spends a large part of his day searching for sparkly snowflake backgrounds and running speed tests, I'm not much one to do a lot of customizations. I've had the same wallpaper since I got my 3GS and I just changed my text message notification to a typewriter sound (that was very exciting).

I'm not trying to pick - I'm not particularly Apple-loyal, but I'm still searching for that function that I wish I had but don't.

It's more than appearance, it's functionality and interface style: custom launchers, different ways of cataloging installed apps/accessing them, custom dialers, completely different contact management systems - it's a pretty big set of variations. I've even seen things where guys have made their launcher over into a W7P clone (why I'll never know) with tiles and all. Of course it makes it even worse for "mine is better than yours" scenarios where folks swear by feature sets they love/hate about the different ones. If you're looking for something that's insane between the two, you're not going to find it, and there are very few on either side foolish enough to claim the other isn't a worthy alternative if you like what goes with it.

If you don't like trying out/tweaking constantly altering your phone, then you might not be interested, which is fine.

Oh, and the number one difference for me has nothing to do with rooting/customizing: widgets. I'm sure that has to come eventually, especially for the iPad. I love having status things/news things that update without having to open up an app. I'm sure they are bad for battery/whatever that keeps Apple from having them, but I'm a widget junkie. I've cut back to less than a dozen, but I used to use 20+.

Ok so you added appearance and battery life.

I haven't had any battery problems with the iPhone4 (it's actually pretty good). And while I know wdf spends a large part of his day searching for sparkly snowflake backgrounds and running speed tests, I'm not much one to do a lot of customizations. I've had the same wallpaper since I got my 3GS and I just changed my text message notification to a typewriter sound (that was very exciting).

I'm not trying to pick - I'm not particularly Apple-loyal, but I'm still searching for that function that I wish I had but don't.

I can overclock my processor from 1ghz to 1.6ghz which improves the speed of everything and takes a big steamy pile of poo on your iphone.

http://phandroid.com/2010/10/27/lat...-unlock-achieving-78-0-breaks-3k-on-quadrant/

Add that to being able to change almost every single visual element to my phone.

while I know wdf spends a large part of his day searching for sparkly snowflake backgrounds and running speed tests, I'm not much one to do a lot of customizations.

Did you see the numbers I was pulling Tuesday? I went over 7Mbps d/l. Tmobile's network is so freaking fast on the MyTouch 4G it practically gives me an erection. Hence the profusion of speedtests and my inability to walk around most of the day.

...and my snowflake wallpaper saturates me with jaunty holiday cheer.

Here's the changelog of the ROM I'm running. As you can see, it's more than just a new background and ringtone.

Upcoming changes:
- Rebuilt on JPU
- Cogkernel2 JPU Support
- Fixed JPU bluetooth

Build 8 Changelog:
- xcaliburinhand's headset jack fix
- Voodoo LagFix updated (c1f5dd5d1a3c2216a381)
- Updated ClockWorkMod Voodoo Edition
- Gingerbread Keyboard (thanks to kennethpenn)
- Added Voltage Control 2.0-rc2
- Fixed APN settings crash

Build 7 Changelog:
CogKernel2:
- raspdeep's 1280Mhz OC/UV v217 kernel patches (I will have a non-oc version for those who don't need it)
- hardcore's kernel patches
- correct framework from jk3, accidentally put jj4 framework in build 6
- bluetooth all working correct again (messed up due to jj4 framework from build6)
- Removed ULF
- Added Voodoo5 Stable (e9dc810ed3e6695c767a)
- Added Supercurio's CWM Voodoo edition
- Reoriented
- Removed multitouch keyboard (missing or very well hidden keys)
- Added stock Froyo keyboard
- Added BLN control - Free
- Home button fix (no longer acts as back button)
- Custom boot image(by me), replaces the AT&T logo (thanks to morfic), You still get the at&t screen for about 1 second until we can edit the boot.bin, that won't change.
- Based on JPM Froyo kernel
- Voodoo5 Stable by Supercurio http://project-voodoo.org/lagfix
- Custom CWM Voodoo Edition by Supercurio
- 341MB RAM and all features should work
- Includes neldar's BackLightNotification 2.2 from https://github.com/project-voodoo/ba...ernel_patches/
- Sharpness & color fix for UI, inspired by supercurio's work on Voodoo
- SpeedMod: Replaced kernel jhash2 with jhash3
- Includes hardcore's Startup Tweaks from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=813309
- Adjusted kernel HZ value to (hopefully) balance battery life & smoothness
- Uses BFQ IO scheduler by default, from http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paol...ed/sources.php
- Updated ext4 code in kernel from http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker.../ext4-patches/
- Added Tiny RCU patch for better speed and efficiency from http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=ker...90160a18caf95d
- Optimized compiler flags: -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard -fno-gcse -fprefetch-loop-arrays --param l2-cache-size=512 --param l1-cache-size=64 --param simultaneous-prefetches=6 --param prefetch-latency=400 --param l1-cache-line-size=64

In case you're wondering where I got those compiler params from, some of them are from here: http://ctuning.org/dissemination/grow10-03.pdf
Build 5 Changelog:
Added AppWidgetPicker
SetiroN i9000 SuperOptimized ReOriented v1.4.2
Replaced the creepy eye (I asked the creator for permission, since I take donations he didn't like that.)
Added even bigger APN list ~1900 (thanks to knightnz)
Changed file system settings to jfs+ext2 loops back, helps some apps work better, no negative side effects.
The ext2 loops are done like so, they are not done like OCLF where they sit on top of another file system

Build 4 Changelog:
Fixed Locale (US only apps may not work, thinks the phone is in Canada) (thanks to for.digit for a proper fix)
Fixed APN auto selection
Fixed Market not working for some (thanks to hansmrtn for the tip)
Added Titanium Backup to /data/app
Added Rom Manager to /data/app
Lagfix enabled by default
CLShortFuse's GPS Fix v006

Build 3 Changelog:
Fixed RIL that I broke in Build 2
Fixed video player crashing while playing recorded videos
Fixed Random no data on first boot (you might have to select the apn, read below on how to do that)
Fixed Voice Search (Just FC's right now)
Added redbend_ua (bmlwrite is having a hard time flashing modem)
Added Email w/less security (thanks to Fenny)
Fixed Sdcard (showing up as cd-rom drive)
Updated Maps
Updated Flash
Updated Market
Updated Youtube
Removed TouchWiz30Launcher and TwWallpaperChooser
Moved Launcher2 and VoltageControl_1.98b to /data for easy removal

Oh, and the number one difference for me has nothing to do with rooting/customizing: widgets. I'm sure that has to come eventually, especially for the iPad. I love having status things/news things that update without having to open up an app. I'm sure they are bad for battery/whatever that keeps Apple from having them, but I'm a widget junkie. I've cut back to less than a dozen, but I used to use 20+.

Yeah, this is a pretty big deal for me as well. I'm running LauncherPro (and have been for a long while now on both my old Nexus One and the current Droid X) so I'm using several of those widgets that come with the "plus" version of the app.

The "Friends" widget is great for checking status updates for both Twitter and Facebook at a glance (and it's scrollable) and means I hardly ever have to open up the actual apps themselves unless I want to look at pics, etc.

The "Calendar" widget lets me view all my agenda crap that's synced with Google Calendar right at a glance. Gtasks has a nice little widget that syncs with Google Tasks.

Countless music widgets, quick note taking widgets, widgets that let you cram four app icons into the space of one, power management widgets, etc etc etc.

And you're right - they definitely have an effect of battery life, but I use them so much that I just don't care. Ever since I had the original Touch Pro an accepted part of my life is plugging in every night no matter what. And there's a few adjustments I can make on the fly if I know I'm going to be away from power all day and using the phone heavily.

And Buzd, you mentioned legitimately looking for features (and I want to make the disclaimer that I'm not necessarily trying to sway you at all). The free Google Navigation integrated into Google Maps has been fantastic for me. I've been driving a pretty good amount for work over the last 5 months or so and I don't own a TomTom or anything of the sort. I bought a cheap suction mounted universal car dock and have never been lost since. Even since I updated my vehicle (the new one has a nav system) I still use it regularly since the maps and everything are almost always updated. It's really a killer feature for me.

The only sites where I ever run into flash issues on my iphone are usually trying to find a menu for a restaurant while on the go. So guess what- that restaurant doesnt get my business. And its their own fault- not because they dont support my iphone, but because they hired a webdesigner who is more concerned about sparkly colors and birds flying around the screen than actual website usability.

Unfortunately in this scenario the site owners are either unaware of this effect on their business or they are willing to deal with the loss as it can be impractical at this time to create a "mobile friendly" site just to satisfy <5% of total traffic.

Unfortunately in this scenario the site owners are either unaware of this effect on their business or they are willing to deal with the loss as it can be impractical at this time to create a "mobile friendly" site just to satisfy <5% of total traffic.

I've been hating websites done entirely in Flash since before I couldn't read them on my iphone. Yuck.

And Buzd, you mentioned legitimately looking for features (and I want to make the disclaimer that I'm not necessarily trying to sway you at all). The free Google Navigation integrated into Google Maps has been fantastic for me. I've been driving a pretty good amount for work over the last 5 months or so and I don't own a TomTom or anything of the sort. I bought a cheap suction mounted universal car dock and have never been lost since. Even since I updated my vehicle (the new one has a nav system) I still use it regularly since the maps and everything are almost always updated. It's really a killer feature for me.

Ah, OK, here we go. Nav and widgets (and tnx to GB34 for mentioning those, too).

Nav - I have the TomTom app for the iphone which essentially turns the iphone into the equivalent of the store-bought device. Works great. The Google GPS is OK on the iphone, but it's pretty terrible for on the fly navigation.

As far as the widgets, that might be the only advantage that Droid has so far (for me). When I had my jailbroken 3GS, I had a mod that displayed my calendar on my lock screen which I really liked (I haven't jailbroken the 4 yet). I miss the calendar, but I don't see the widgets as enough reason to upgrade yet. I can see where they would be nice, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom