Whats the deal with IPHONE and flash (1 Viewer)

ChopperSaint

Official gum of champions
Reaction score
Flash is a huge part of the WWW.

Im sick and tired of getting a message saying I need to install Flash on my IPHONE everytime I visit a site.

Is flash some evil company that Apple refuses to deal with?
Or is the Mac operating system not capable of running flash?

I cant get over some peoples love affair with Apple when you cant even use 25% of the sites on the internet.

I would love to buy an IPAD. I love the idea of the IPAD, but I sure as heck am not going to guy one until APPLE gets off its high horse.

Apple needs flash more then flash needs Apple.

As a matter of fact, im about to get a DROID if they dont change this.

Yeah, having flash on the DRIOD is really nice. I live stream stuff all the time. Its great.

HTML 5? We are several years away from a fully mobile platform having the horsepower to render HTML5 video from what I have seen of it. It challenges current desktop cpu power. Don't have a dog in the hunt but typical Apple hardheadedness as the world turns.

false

Apple doesn't care.

Sure they do.
Or at the very least, sure they should.

Who would have thought 2 years ago Droid would have took out this much of Apple's marketshare.

I remember when people were predicting that DROID would only hold 3% of the market if they were lucky.

They better care

It's my understanding they kept flash off of the iPhone and iPad because it was such a drain on battery usage.

I haven't kept up with the story much, but from what I hear several news related news sites have started considering other ways of delivering video than flash. And I was surprised to see youtube come out with some site or version that allows iphones and ipad to be able to play youtube videos without flash. I've visited some sites that were delivering video without flash, using HTML5 maybe ? I think the videos are in like that h.xxxx format ?

Personally I don't care either way. Currently don't have an iPhone or an iPad. My Mac seems to play all video types without problems. All I care about is good streaming times and playback quality.

Whole thing reminds me when Apple started shipping computers without floppy drives and including USB and Firewire ports... nobody thought that would catch on.

I would like to see something like Adobe improve flash and fix whatever causes the battery drainage issue. Or Apple turn around and allow flash on these devices.

Writing web related software and trying to maintain all the differences between web browsers and OSes can be such a pain at times :)

Apple doesn't care.

They care. They may not be planning a mass suicide because of it,but they definitely do care. There will be better options than Flash coming out by maybe end of 2011. Until then they should of just sucked up their pride and went with flash. I love Apple products,but their arrogance is a weakness.

Flash sucks. It's so unreliable and inconsistent among the different platforms. Jobs is right.

Sure they do.
Or at the very least, sure they should.

No they shouldn't. You're completely ignorant regarding the flash issue, other than the fact that you know the iPhone doesn't support it. You have no clue why some consider this a good thing, no idea of the dynamic between Apple and Adobe, no clue about how Apple's weight can change the tech scene and why they would choose to do this. Sure there is a genuine debate about it, but you aren't aware of the merits of either side.

All this info is a quick google away, btw. It wouldn't be hard for you to get informed and then decide to side with the pro-flash people. But then Apple still wouldn't care if you bought from them, so you might not want to bother.

Who would have thought 2 years ago Droid would have took out this much of Apple's marketshare.

I remember when people were predicting that DROID would only hold 3% of the market if they were lucky.

They better care

Apple is the largest tech company in the world. They're doing just fine. Better than ever, actually. One might say they are dominating faces off. They've turned the smartphone industry into a monster, and they make much more money off each phone they sell than the competition does. There's no buy-one, get-one with Apple. No discounts. And they went from 0 to 3rd in market share, just recently passing RIM (for good).

I think they are quite capable of deciding what they should or shouldn't care about. They probably don't have to listen to advice from some uninformed dude on a tech forum on a football website.

:mad: whether I'm wearing my uniform or not.

Everyone should listen to you regardless of clothing decisions. Unless they're networking their 360, in which case the governing factor should be the amount of toasters the neighbors use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom