What's the deal with the fascination with Loomis? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
You often see people on here referring to Loomis and his skills with the cap like he's some kind of hero. Where did this come from? It grinds me a bit when people make ridiculous suggestions with regards to signing players we can't afford and then just saying Loomis will figure it out when asked how we going to pay for them.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Loomis has no specific stand out skills in this regard. It's a fairly rudimentary maths problem that can quite easily be broken down into all it's component parts. While some people may be more inclined to this than others, it's definitely not an extremely rare skill.

If his skill was getting players to agree to contracts for less money than they are worth, then sure that is a very valuable skill set (see Bellichick). But the only player on our roster I have seen accept significantly less money than they could elsewhere is Drew Brees, and I am not convinced that this is due to Mickey Loomis.

All in all, it seems to me he does exactly the same thing with regards to the cap as every other GM, and gets mountains of praise from adoring Saints fans that can't necessarily fully articulate what it is that Loomis is good at.

You often see people on here referring to Loomis and his skills with the cap like he's some kind of hero. Where did this come from? It grinds me a bit when people make ridiculous suggestions with regards to signing players we can't afford and then just saying Loomis will figure it out when asked how we going to pay for them.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Loomis has no specific stand out skills in this regard. It's a fairly rudimentary maths problem that can quite easily be broken down into all it's component parts. While some people may be more inclined to this than others, it's definitely not an extremely rare skill.

If his skill was getting players to agree to contracts for less money than they are worth, then sure that is a very valuable skill set (see Bellichick). But the only player on our roster I have seen accept significantly less money than they could elsewhere is Drew Brees, and I am not convinced that this is due to Mickey Loomis.

All in all, it seems to me he does exactly the same thing with regards to the cap as every other GM, and gets mountains of praise from adoring Saints fans that can't necessarily fully articulate what it is that Loomis is good at.
Supposedly he is the only GM with an accounting degree. He became “worshipped “ when we were against the cap and he still brought talent in.

He also has shown an aggressive nature by trading up every draft. He also is very active early in Free agency so Payton can have the players he wants.

Supposedly he is the only GM with an accounting degree. He became “worshipped “ when we were against the cap and he still brought talent in.

I am assuming he did it the same way as every other GM int he league? By restructuring existing players contracts to move cap hits to later years? Seems like a rather arbitrary thing to start worshiping someone for.

I am not suggesting he is bad; he may even be very good. But he definitely isn't special when it comes to managing salaries.

He also has shown an aggressive nature by trading up every draft. He also is very active early in Free agency so Payton can have the players he wants.

Is it Loomis making the decisions on whether to trade or not? Surely those decisions are better left up to Sean?

He’s the KID down the street that no one wants to play kick the can because he’s never it!

He’s not only good at accounting and moving numbers, but he’s extremely creative. The deals he was signing with automatic voids to push the cap, he was the first to do this, some of the ways he restructures deals can be pretty creative as well.

Other GMs in bad cap situations are never able to be as productive as he is. Which tells me he’s better at his job than they are.

Complaining about Loomis? That's really where we're at in this pandemic? Loomis is probably the most important person to this team...without him coach doesn't have the talent to work with. There's a reason Tom asked him to do both football and basketball for him. Guy is a contract genius.

Part of it is people joking around, especially after borderline ridiculous signings with negative cap space (I think any Saints fan knows who I'm referring to). The other part is that it's quite true, though usually exaggerated for the memes.

I love the guy, but we will be paying the piper soon as it seems we love to kick the can down the road each year. Eventually we will have to pay, at least I think we will. Lol I’m definitely no expert.

He's kicking the can down the road, but each year the cap continues to grow and thus softening the impact on the cap. Whether that changes due to COVID or not is yet to be seen.

Part of it is people joking around, especially after borderline ridiculous signings with negative cap space (I think any Saints fan knows who I'm referring to). The other part is that it's quite true, though usually exaggerated for the memes.

He's kicking the can down the road, but each year the cap continues to grow and thus softening the impact on the cap. Whether that changes due to COVID or not is yet to be seen.
True. And I fully admit I have no clue about how to manage a cap. Hats off to the guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom