What's the deal with the fascination with Loomis? (1 Viewer)

Would you rather Jerry Jones or Thomas Dimitroff running our team?

I don't like Jerry Jones, and I am not sure what Dimitroff does. I am not sure what Loomis does either.

I just don't see how he has a massive impact and it seems no one else does either.

So far it seems the only unique thing he did was come up with automatically voiding contracts. It's clever, but I am not sure it makes him the kind of genius half the fan base thinks he is.

Facepalm, Clown or Dislike.

That was a very tough decision.

Loomis is a flat out Cap Master and don't think he does not make some great deals besides that. Without him, this franchise would have been nowhere near as successful as it has been. Without question, one of the top five front office guys in the NFL.

When is the appropriate time to use the Facepalm, dislike, clown, and dead falcon?

I believe it was either 2003 or 2004 that he was a regular on WWL. I listened in a few times and the fans called and gave him hell. It was around that time people discovered that listening to a Loomis interview was really a waste of time. He never really went in depth about anything and only provided surface answers. Since then, I don't think he's been a regular on a TV or Radio show since.

I give Loomis credit for knowing how to work the cap (that was his original title before Mueller got fired) and for bringing in Sean Payton. He's also smart enough to allow Payton to run the show. If Loomis had to be a traditional GM and make personnel choices, there's no way we would have been a winning team. Just look at the 2003, 2004 & 2005 teams for example.

He is still a regular guest on wwl, I listen to his interviews literally all the time. :shrug:

I'm convinced that we are living in the matrix... everyone has their own versions of reality

Much of it has to do with expectations and connection with winning the Superbowl with Payton and Brees. We had gotten extremely excited about all the wonderful things that Randy Muller was going to do to transform the team and put it in the big leagues. When he was fired, Loomis was hired... a bean counter.... not a football guy.... an unimpressive, ho hum, business as usual, below average choice. Then the team with he, Payton, and Brees became the one it is today, far exceeding expectations. He is as much a part of that as the other two. That is why we respect him.

He is still a regular guest on wwl, I listen to his interviews literally all the time. :shrug:

I'm convinced that we are living in the matrix... everyone has their own versions of reality
To be fair, I haven't listening to WWL consistently in a long time. So if he's a regular on there, then that is news to me. I recall when I was listening to the show regularly, he was no where to be found. The only time you would really hear from him is when it's draft time, or maybe if a free agent was signed.

I don't like Jerry Jones, and I am not sure what Dimitroff does. I am not sure what Loomis does either.

I just don't see how he has a massive impact and it seems no one else does either.

So far it seems the only unique thing he did was come up with automatically voiding contracts. It's clever, but I am not sure it makes him the kind of genius half the fan base thinks he is.

Well, Loomis is essentially the CEO of an organization that has has been top five in the league in terms of sustained success, won a Super Bowl, and maintained stability, financial success, and extremely elusive sustained year-in year-out success.

So even if you're having trouble understanding some of the concepts people have explained to you in regards to Loomis' mastery of accounting and the salary cap, end of day, he's one of the five most successful GMs in the league. When you're the top person at an organization, you are the results you get. Period. Elite results = elite GM. It's pretty simple.

I also am curious. Apparently, there is the representation that Loomis is a frequent guest, if not a "regular," on WWL. How often does he do an interview for WWL? I am no longer a frequent listener to WWL, But in recent years, the only times I can remember Loomis giving an interview to the local media would be draft week and at the Senior Bowl.

What are some examples of things he would have to do in order for you to think he's a genius and/or worthy of the praise?

What are some examples of things he would have to do in order for you to think he's a genius and/or worthy of the praise?
Score 150 plus on a standardised IQ test. And even then I'd be sceptical about the amount of involvement he has in the success of the football operation and or his supernatural ability to sign people to contracts that don't fit under the cap.

I just don't see the distinction between mickey and every other GM that knows how to restructure contracts or create automatically voiding years.

What in your opinion has he done to deserve the adoration?

I think the ‘adoration’ ,as you call it, comes from the fact that the franchise has been quite succesfull under his watch. On and off the field. There is a winning record, there are nummerous play-off appereances, there is a SB ring, there is a high rate of succes at drafting (especially lately) there has never been a FA we could not get (for the number we wanted) despite being strapped against the cap, there is magic going on with voidable years, the Dome got renovated, revenue is going up and I am probably forgetting stuff.

How much of this we can attribute to him is unclear I agree. But wouldn’t you agree that he at least set the ground rules for the franchise to succeed.
Loomis is the GM under which this franchise has flourished for the past 14 years. Besides the Pats which other franchise has had more succes if you take that entire 14 year period?

Also, one might observe the quality of the saints facilities in general pre and post Loomis as GM.

Loomising: It's in Webster's dictionary. " To pull off salary cap magic that nobody else would think of or dare."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom