What's the deal with the fascination with Loomis? (1 Viewer)

Score 150 plus on a standardised IQ test. And even then I'd be sceptical about the amount of involvement he has in the success of the football operation and or his supernatural ability to sign people to contracts that don't fit under the cap.

I just don't see the distinction between mickey and every other GM that knows how to restructure contracts or create automatically voiding years.

What in your opinion has he done to deserve the adoration?
I've never thought about it personally, but others have provided a plethora of reasons. In summary, he seems to be that dude who can literally make a dollar out of 15 cents.

I think in order to truly analyze Mickey's abilities we would need to know what other GMs are doing. Right now, one side thinks he's outperforming his counterparts and you think they're mostly performing the same.

As someone who doesn't keep up with that side of things, I would speculate that as an organization, the Saints aren't on par with most teams. Their output and production is above average. Likely because our key personnel are above average.

We can't easily quantify Mickey Loomis' contributions in wins or losses, completion percentages, etc. But in a lot of good organizations, that's usually the person or department who contributes the most/the key component: the one we don't see.

I find more logic in 'Genius Mickey' as opposed to 'Average Mickey' but I have no proof either way.

I also am curious. Apparently, there is the representation that Loomis is a frequent guest, if not a "regular," on WWL. How often does he do an interview for WWL? I am no longer a frequent listener to WWL, But in recent years, the only times I can remember Loomis giving an interview to the local media would be draft week and at the Senior Bowl.
I've stopped listening as well, but I rarely heard him on there as a regular. I believe 2004 was the last time he had a regular show.

There are things that I like and things I don't about Mickey Loomis.

The most important of those are the things I like. Loomis has the best skills of a leader: he knows his limits and surrounds himself with people that makes his job better. Khai Harley and Jeff Ireland are the best examples.

Mickey and Sean have been able to build two different very competitive versions of the saints. The first one brought a Super Bowl, the second has been very close.

The main characteristic of this tandem is to be aggressive, focus on the present, be competitive. Since they are in the sports industry, winning is the main goal.

There are also a couple of issues that I disagree with. One is avoiding to play the compensatory pick game, and also the willingness to trade resources (draft picks) in order to go and pick a player.

The other one is the constant playing with dead money, that (and of course bounty gate) killed the first version of their saints team. We were able to start rebuilding only until we were able to clean the cap. They don't mind closing their options in order to achieve the goal.

So as you see, the tandem Loomis-Payton main feature is to be aggressive, not to be patient. I am normally more conservative towards managing money, assets (present and future), debt and cash flow.

But if there is a single play that portraits how this tandem works, it is "ambush".The Saints play to win, they don't care about any other thing. They don't rest, they prefer to gamble than to stay still. And that outweighs any other thing I may not agree upon.

So if there is something I appreciate about Loomis and Payton is that they win, they do everything to win, and won't sit still. They are not afraid of the obvious mistake, they are more afraid to loose.

download.jpg

Why are people praising somebody just for being good at what he does and sustaining success for over a decade? What sort of crazy people do that?

Who needs Emeril , we have pepper at home ...

This thread is still going? I saw it the other day and thought for certain someone would have answered properly by now.

Q: What is the deal with the fascination with Loomis?

A: He makes IT happen and he makes IT happen like a boss.

tumblr_n09qy0uwMJ1t1xc0so1_400.gif

There are also a couple of issues that I disagree with. One is avoiding to play the compensatory pick game, and also the willingness to trade resources (draft picks) in order to go and pick a player.
I think that's on Payton. From memory, the only time I remember a trade happening (prior to Payton) was in 03 when we moved up to get Sully. Other than that I believe we kept our picks and drafted at the right spot.

Score 150 plus on a standardised IQ test. And even then I'd be sceptical about the amount of involvement he has in the success of the football operation and or his supernatural ability to sign people to contracts that don't fit under the cap.

I just don't see the distinction between mickey and every other GM that knows how to restructure contracts or create automatically voiding years.

What in your opinion has he done to deserve the adoration?

Why is it so hard to understand why a fan base would love the GM who has brought about the Golden Age of their team's existence?

But to answer the question, what has he done to deserve the adoration, I'll list a few things:

1. Hired Sean Payton
2. Signed Drew Brees
3. Helped build a team that won a Super Bowl

If those were the only three things he ever did then that alone would be worthy of adoration. Would you agree?

Why is it so hard to understand why a fan base would love the GM who has brought about the Golden Age of their team's existence?

But to answer the question, what has he done to deserve the adoration, I'll list a few things:

1. Hired Sean Payton
2. Signed Drew Brees
3. Helped build a team that won a Super Bowl

If those were the only three things he ever did then that alone would be worthy of adoration. Would you agree?

Pssh...I bet this guy's built quite the roster on Madden so how hard could actual GMing be?

Last edited:
You often see people on here referring to Loomis and his skills with the cap like he's some kind of hero. Where did this come from? It grinds me a bit when people make ridiculous suggestions with regards to signing players we can't afford and then just saying Loomis will figure it out when asked how we going to pay for them.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Loomis has no specific stand out skills in this regard. It's a fairly rudimentary maths problem that can quite easily be broken down into all it's component parts. While some people may be more inclined to this than others, it's definitely not an extremely rare skill.

If his skill was getting players to agree to contracts for less money than they are worth, then sure that is a very valuable skill set (see Bellichick). But the only player on our roster I have seen accept significantly less money than they could elsewhere is Drew Brees, and I am not convinced that this is due to Mickey Loomis.

All in all, it seems to me he does exactly the same thing with regards to the cap as every other GM, and gets mountains of praise from adoring Saints fans that can't necessarily fully articulate what it is that Loomis is good at.

1 Super Bowl and 2 other NFC Championship games. We had 1 playoff win prior to him in our entire history.

Pssh...I bet this guy's built quite the roster on Madden so how hard could actual GMing be?

It makes you wonder how old the OP is. Those of us who remember life before Loomis probably have a greater appreciation of what he's accomplished. The Saints had some really good teams before Loomis but they could never get over the hump.

It's hard to overstate how important Loomis' ability to manipulate the cap has been since Drew signed his first mega deal in 2012. Despite being in "cap hell" every offseason since then, Loomis has found a way to bring in quality free agents. And he's been able to keep the players they wanted to keep. The result has been one of the best rosters in football for the past three years.

You often see people on here referring to Loomis and his skills with the cap like he's some kind of hero. Where did this come from? It grinds me a bit when people make ridiculous suggestions with regards to signing players we can't afford and then just saying Loomis will figure it out when asked how we going to pay for them.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Loomis has no specific stand out skills in this regard. It's a fairly rudimentary maths problem that can quite easily be broken down into all it's component parts. While some people may be more inclined to this than others, it's definitely not an extremely rare skill.

If his skill was getting players to agree to contracts for less money than they are worth, then sure that is a very valuable skill set (see Bellichick). But the only player on our roster I have seen accept significantly less money than they could elsewhere is Drew Brees, and I am not convinced that this is due to Mickey Loomis.

All in all, it seems to me he does exactly the same thing with regards to the cap as every other GM, and gets mountains of praise from adoring Saints fans that can't necessarily fully articulate what it is that Loomis is good at.

He brought us a Super Bowl Championship.

I don't like Jerry Jones, and I am not sure what Dimitroff does. I am not sure what Loomis does either.

I just don't see how he has a massive impact and it seems no one else does either.

So far it seems the only unique thing he did was come up with automatically voiding contracts. It's clever, but I am not sure it makes him the kind of genius half the fan base thinks he is.

Why you are pretending to care about any of this is the real question.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom