What's The Difference? Payton's 1st Year Saints & Haslett's 1st Year Saints? (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Forget for a moment how the Haslett Era ended, and think back to his first year with the Saints in 2000.

Coach Payton's 1st year team & Haz's 1st year team definitely had a few similarities.

For example, after twelve weeks, both teams were 7-4, and whether we want to admit it or not, most of us thought back then that Haz was a very good coach.

Both team's also made use of a lot of FA pickups, draft choices, and trades that year to be 7-4 after 12 weeks...

Yet, when I look at both teams, there's still something very different about Sean's 1st year 7-4 Saints...

How about you? Are they really different, or are we just "thinking" these 2006 Saints are a cut above Haz's 1st year team?

Last edited:

Surviving Saint

NFL Fan
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but we are a different team under Payton. You can look at the offense, defense, draft and free agency from this past offseason and know that this coach has the brains to keep this up. If Has wasnt so player friendly he would probably still be HC here. Paytons no nonsense approach wont change year in and year out. The way I see it we will only get better and we are pretty good right now.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Forget for a moment how the Haslett Era ended, and think back to his first year with the Saints in 2000.

The similarities between Coach Payton's 1st year team & Haz's 1st year team definitely had a few similarities.

For example, after twelve weeks, both teams were 7-4, and whether we want to admit it or not, most of us thought back then that Haz was a very good coach.

Both team's also made use of a lot of FA pickups, draft choices, and trades that year to be 7-4 after 12 weeks...

Yet, when I look at both teams, there's still something very different about Sean's 1st year 7-4 Saints...

How about you? Are they really different, or are we just "thinking" these 2006 Saints are a cut above Haz's 1st year team?
Substantially better QB
Substantially better HC
Substantially better Play-Caller
Worse Offensive Line
More pass/big-play oriented RBs (better overall)
Better WRs

Slightly worse defensive line
Substantially worse LBs
Slightly better secondary

They're pretty distinct and unique

Colin311

I want 5 of your years!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Payton completely revamped this entire team with only keeping 10 people from the regime before him. These are Payton's guys.

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Win or lose, you don't see Payton on the sideline with that defeated look on his face.

Team unity seems to be much stronger also. I know the players liked Haz for a while and played hard for him, but I wonder if they learned a few thigs about him after a year or so.

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One word: Discipline

Edit:

Two words: Discipline; Accountability

johnnyd

Ikea boy.
Reaction score
Haz' team were scrappy lucky no names.

Payton's team are seasoned pros and above average rookies who could win every game they play if they hold on to the ball.

BIGPOPPA

Goodell BLOWS!!!!!
Reaction score
I always thought that Haslett was a good coach that first year but, he didn't appear to have the control of the team that Payton has. The discipline, I guess that's the big difference.

Paul

Professional
Reaction score
It all starts with the QB, IMHO. With Brees, it's like having an additional coach on the field who happens to be lethal with the football in his hands.

I think kfran brings up an interesting question, however. I also remember that Has seemed to instill discipline in the team during his first year, similar to Payton, but I think that the difference is that Payton disciplines & teaches to correct problems and maximize each player's value, whereas Has just pretty much yelled and that was about it.

choozer

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but seems like the rookie Coach Haz's team thrived on creating turnovers and making a lot of unorthodox gambles, like an onside kick to start the half. And they played with a chip on their shoulder, playing up emotion as underdogs. Payton's team has won despite not getting turnovers, their hallmark is playing smart and with few mental errors, gained respect early instead of late, and continued playing well after no longer being underdogs. Only time will tell the rest.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing - but I think the difference this time we have a proven (yet still young) QB instead of a Cinderalla story QB.

Also I think our leadership and character is much better. When you think about Brees and McAllister, they are world's better than Brooks and Ricky were, and I don't see that changing.

OP
kfran

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All great answers. The only reason I asked the question is because I knew I wasn't the only one thinking it. It's good to get other fans' insight.

I try to be as objective as possible, but I also remember how most of us were ready to "annoit" Haz after we beat the defending world champion Rams in our first year under Haz, and with our franchise's first playoff victory ever.

Yet, I also agree, while there are some similarities, the differences in this year's team and Haz's first year team are just as glaring.

Dragon

Official SR Twitter Team
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the main difference is that this team is build on CHARACTER, and with that comes everything else.....

This is a TEAM, who are willing to go the extra mile
They voluntairely show up on their days of to get even better
This team has leadership and they keep each other accountable

All of them when interviewed downplay the "ME/Star" part and know that everybody from the 5th backup and up, are ready to give their best for this team.

Most of all - This team WANTS to win and NEVER QUIT

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this team plays with discipline. we have limited the stupid penalties and STAY IN OUR DAMN LANES!!!

i suspect that if this team can replicate what they have done on the offensive side of the ball, on the defensive side of the ball, this team will be DOMINANT!!!

and notice how that team went to crap after Mueller left??? Haz couldn't get a grip on the team, whereas Malcom in the middle won't let it slip away (I hope). he was taught by the tuna, and that speaks volumes!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Payton: 2 straight losses a 'gut check' for Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton is to blame Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Saint Kamara I will repeat, Sean Payton is missing out on the true utilization of Taysom Hill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
UFCSaint This one is on Payton and the Refs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
ktmoze Saints need Bold and Aggressive Sean Payton vs. Packers Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Dan in Lafayette While Sean Payton revels in Taysom Hill’s diverse skills, Matt LaFleur and Packers can only wonder what might’ve been SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Sean Payton on the Packers Offense, Week 3 prep | Saints vs. Packers Week 3 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Sean Payton: I get caught up in the game and forget about the mask Saints RSS News Feeds 0
I know why Coach Payton has lost his play calling mojo... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Sean Payton on the late Gale Sayers: 'He was so explosive and dynamic' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton accepts blame for not wearing mask on sidelines, addresses Saints issues ahead of Packers test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fine, Sean Payton admits he needs 'to be more diligent' with face covering during games Saints RSS News Feeds 0
cue180 Payton delayed trip home in order to review game film Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 73
Saints, Sean Payton reportedly fined $350K total for failure to wear face coverings on sideline Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Gruden, Payton fined for mask negligence Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL fines Jon Gruden, Sean Payton for not wearing masks Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton and Gruden fined $100k for not wearing masks; organizations fined $250k Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
This is How Sean Payton's Teams Start - Unexplainable No Show Losses- In Great Seasons Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Sean Payton: Saints’ offense is “average at best” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Saints Payton post game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
How Sean Payton's career was shaped by mentors Jon Gruden, Bill Parcells Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No sleep, all football: How Sean Payton got his foot in the NFL door thanks to Jon Gruden Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Talks Offensive Strategy, Week 2 prep | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Payton hasn't ruled out MT13 against the Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Payton refuses comment on Thomas injury, cites strength of special teams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ndcc Saints Nick Wright torches Sean Payton in this vid (...calls him a jerk) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 68
Saints defense looking for answers after allowing 37 points to Packers: 'We've got to get it fixed' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Aaron Rodgers on lack of Superdome noise after beating Saints: 'Definitely helps us out' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints making things too hard for themselves, too easy for opponents Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Aaron Rodgers on lack of Superdome noise after beating Saints: 'Definitely helps us out' Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Walker: Saints' normal Sunday night supremacy enough to get them back on track Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara Shines, As Saints Fall to Packers 37-30. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara's huge night not enough to end Saints' early-season funk Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Alvin Kamara follows lead block, hurdles him for TD Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Packers ride big arm of Aaron Rodgers past dink-and-dunk Saints SR News Page Articles 0
What we learned, what's trending and final thoughts from the Saints 37-30 loss to Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints lean heavily on Alvin Kamara in loss to Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Packers top Saints in Superdome, New Orleans loses back-to-back games for 1st time since 2017 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints miss chances, fall to Packers in primetime, 37-30 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints struggles continue as they fall to Packers at home SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints lose back-to-back games for the first time in three seasons SR News Page Articles 0
Packers pull away late to beat Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Dome @ Home - Saints Postgame Show | Packers Week 3 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
renegadewa As much as I love my Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Packers and Saints keep trading blows Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Jared Cook hurt on first-down catch against Packers, heads back to locker room Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints guard Andrus Peat carted off the field; out for game Saints RSS News Feeds 0