What's The Difference? Payton's 1st Year Saints & Haslett's 1st Year Saints? (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Forget for a moment how the Haslett Era ended, and think back to his first year with the Saints in 2000.

Coach Payton's 1st year team & Haz's 1st year team definitely had a few similarities.

For example, after twelve weeks, both teams were 7-4, and whether we want to admit it or not, most of us thought back then that Haz was a very good coach.

Both team's also made use of a lot of FA pickups, draft choices, and trades that year to be 7-4 after 12 weeks...

Yet, when I look at both teams, there's still something very different about Sean's 1st year 7-4 Saints...

How about you? Are they really different, or are we just "thinking" these 2006 Saints are a cut above Haz's 1st year team?

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing, but we are a different team under Payton. You can look at the offense, defense, draft and free agency from this past offseason and know that this coach has the brains to keep this up. If Has wasnt so player friendly he would probably still be HC here. Paytons no nonsense approach wont change year in and year out. The way I see it we will only get better and we are pretty good right now.

Forget for a moment how the Haslett Era ended, and think back to his first year with the Saints in 2000.

The similarities between Coach Payton's 1st year team & Haz's 1st year team definitely had a few similarities.

For example, after twelve weeks, both teams were 7-4, and whether we want to admit it or not, most of us thought back then that Haz was a very good coach.

Both team's also made use of a lot of FA pickups, draft choices, and trades that year to be 7-4 after 12 weeks...

Yet, when I look at both teams, there's still something very different about Sean's 1st year 7-4 Saints...

How about you? Are they really different, or are we just "thinking" these 2006 Saints are a cut above Haz's 1st year team?

Substantially better QB
Substantially better HC
Substantially better Play-Caller
Worse Offensive Line
More pass/big-play oriented RBs (better overall)
Better WRs

Slightly worse defensive line
Substantially worse LBs
Slightly better secondary

They're pretty distinct and unique

Payton completely revamped this entire team with only keeping 10 people from the regime before him. These are Payton's guys.

Win or lose, you don't see Payton on the sideline with that defeated look on his face.

Team unity seems to be much stronger also. I know the players liked Haz for a while and played hard for him, but I wonder if they learned a few thigs about him after a year or so.

One word: Discipline

Edit:

Two words: Discipline; Accountability

Haz' team were scrappy lucky no names.

Payton's team are seasoned pros and above average rookies who could win every game they play if they hold on to the ball.

I always thought that Haslett was a good coach that first year but, he didn't appear to have the control of the team that Payton has. The discipline, I guess that's the big difference.

It all starts with the QB, IMHO. With Brees, it's like having an additional coach on the field who happens to be lethal with the football in his hands.

I think kfran brings up an interesting question, however. I also remember that Has seemed to instill discipline in the team during his first year, similar to Payton, but I think that the difference is that Payton disciplines & teaches to correct problems and maximize each player's value, whereas Has just pretty much yelled and that was about it.

I could be wrong, but seems like the rookie Coach Haz's team thrived on creating turnovers and making a lot of unorthodox gambles, like an onside kick to start the half. And they played with a chip on their shoulder, playing up emotion as underdogs. Payton's team has won despite not getting turnovers, their hallmark is playing smart and with few mental errors, gained respect early instead of late, and continued playing well after no longer being underdogs. Only time will tell the rest.

I have been thinking the same thing - but I think the difference this time we have a proven (yet still young) QB instead of a Cinderalla story QB.

Also I think our leadership and character is much better. When you think about Brees and McAllister, they are world's better than Brooks and Ricky were, and I don't see that changing.

All great answers. The only reason I asked the question is because I knew I wasn't the only one thinking it. It's good to get other fans' insight.

I try to be as objective as possible, but I also remember how most of us were ready to "annoit" Haz after we beat the defending world champion Rams in our first year under Haz, and with our franchise's first playoff victory ever.

Yet, I also agree, while there are some similarities, the differences in this year's team and Haz's first year team are just as glaring.

I think the main difference is that this team is build on CHARACTER, and with that comes everything else.....

This is a TEAM, who are willing to go the extra mile
They voluntairely show up on their days of to get even better
This team has leadership and they keep each other accountable

All of them when interviewed downplay the "ME/Star" part and know that everybody from the 5th backup and up, are ready to give their best for this team.

Most of all - This team WANTS to win and NEVER QUIT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom