What's the most important position in the 3-4 defense? (1 Viewer)

Most of the starting NTs in the NFL weren't first rounders. There is a far higher premium on pass rushers.

Try and go back and study the Dome Patro. That was a well oiled 3-4 machine. In that scheme the linebackers stood out. I'd say linebackers over NT

They say nose tackle but that was way back when every team basically ran the ball all day. Now in a spread league u can get away with a smaller nose tackle who is a penetrator plus the nose tackle is barely on the field with everyone passing the ball he isn't on the field when u run a nickel, bunkley is a freak and a great nose tackle go watch his game w the broncos vs thenjetsmin a 3-4 he absolutely owned nick mangold and was making insane plays

The whole point is getting pressure with a 3-4 so the most important position is if u run a 2 gap u need great linebackers if a 2 gap u need good linebackers and a good blitzes, my answer is outside linebacker

The year Bunkley played with the Broncos was actually a 4-3 system but it was not a traditional 4-3 like Spags it was more of a multidimensional 4-3 with some 3-4 like Greg Williams. Bunkley played NT 0 and 1 tech and was lined up in the 1 and 2 gap so essentially he played the same position as any 3-4 NT. Here is film study I did last year of him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SH8xSzhZpqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bunkley dominated the best center in the league in that game^^

Try and go back and study the Dome Patro. That was a well oiled 3-4 machine. In that scheme the linebackers stood out. I'd say linebackers over NT

I agree but the Dome Patrol didn't just happen in 85 when Mora showed up here. Bum Phillips drafted all the linemen (Wilks, Warren, Clark, Elliot, Geathers) and Rickey along with a few marginal LBs (Del Rio and Kovach) that were from Bum's era. These guys had the experience to make a difference and were moving into their prime.

When Mora arrived he brought in Bobby, Sam, and Vaughn. These guys filled in and made the team viable in his first year as coach. Mora's first draft was all offense (except Swilling) because he already had the defense front 7 set and experienced.

Also looking at Parcells when he was with the Giants, it took a couple years before he had a winning record, after he implemented the 3-4 his first year, even though he had Lawrence Taylor there from the start.

You need experience in the D line and more than one rush LB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom