What's the most important position in the 3-4 defense? (1 Viewer)

They say nose tackle but that was way back when every team basically ran the ball all day. Now in a spread league u can get away with a smaller nose tackle who is a penetrator plus the nose tackle is barely on the field with everyone passing the ball he isn't on the field when u run a nickel, bunkley is a freak and a great nose tackle go watch his game w the broncos vs thenjetsmin a 3-4 he absolutely owned nick mangold and was making insane plays

The whole point is getting pressure with a 3-4 so the most important position is if u run a 2 gap u need great linebackers if a 2 gap u need good linebackers and a good blitzes, my answer is outside linebacker

They say nose tackle but that was way back when every team basically ran the ball all day. Now in a spread league u can get away with a smaller nose tackle who is a penetrator plus the nose tackle is barely on the field with everyone passing the ball he isn't on the field when u run a nickel, bunkley is a freak and a great nose tackle go watch his game w the broncos vs thenjetsmin a 3-4 he absolutely owned nick mangold and was making insane plays

The whole point is getting pressure with a 3-4 so the most important position is if u run a 2 gap u need great linebackers if a 2 gap u need good linebackers and a good blitzes, my answer is outside linebacker

mostly this.

I think its linebackers in general. You middles need to be great sideline to sideline players that can shed blocks and drop into zone. Your outside line backers need to be good blitzers that are capable of dropping into coverage.

Overall, block shedding sideline to sideline linebackers that also excel in blitzing or dropping into coverage.

mostly this.

I think its linebackers in general. You middles need to be great sideline to sideline players that can shed blocks and drop into zone. Your outside line backers need to be good blitzers that are capable of dropping into coverage.

Overall, block shedding sideline to sideline linebackers that also excel in blitzing or dropping into coverage.

So, which positions do we already have the right player to fill the spot?

...if there is one

Nose tackle maybe?

A nose tackle that just takes up space. Doesn't require a lot of talent -- but must be big and immoveable. In this scheme, the free safety has to be a sideline to sideline roamer that can react to what he is seeing the front reacting to from the offense.

Look no further than the Dome Patrol and that'll tell ya what position is most important...it's your OLB's...Rickey Jackson and Pat Swilling Gangnum style......

We have most of the players. Cam hicks bunkley will be a great front 3 lofyon and Hawthorne wil be good inside. Tez will he playing his natural position only thibg I'm worries about is gallettw because I think he is better with his hand in the dirt
If we get a quick linebacker like dion jarvis mingo or ansah we will have a great dront 7

I don't care how good the linebackers are, if you don't have a decent nose the run game up the middle will eat you alive.

Safety is the most important position on defense. Want examples of great play from safeties? Please see the 2000 & 2011-2012 Ravens, 2005-2010 Steelers, 2009 Saints, 2011-2012 49ers.

Linebackers are the most notable in a 3-4 because they usually make the biggest plays in a game. And the position that makes the linebackers look good are the three, 2-gapping linemen that free them up to make plays. 1-gapping linemen can make plays themselves, but leave the (particularly the middle) linebackers out to dry.

Defense is only as good as the weakest link. One player can ruin the whole effort. Who cares how well #33 covered someone when #21 can't. Last year the Saints had multiple weak links.

But all that aside, in the end, Safety is the most important position on defense because they cover up for all the mistakes the 9 guys in front of them make.

Without that stout nt thhe lbs will be bullied by ol.. the nt has to occupy one and sometimes two bodies he can't get bullied and allow the center and guard to get up field to the lbs or thedefense will be abused all game

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom