Whats the relationship between LSU and Saints fans? (1 Viewer)

I love both teams, but I'm a Saints fan 1st. I went to SLU but was raised on LSU's campus. Mother went to school there from the time i was age 2 - 7. My brother is the exact opposite of me.. he's a die hard LSU fan & a casual Saints fan. I'm pretty much a fan of any Louisiana team. I'm a homer..

I'm a native New Orleanian who lives in Baton Rouge now. I am an LSU alumnus and am a huge Tiger fan and Saints fan. I married a native from BR, and I KNOW there is a lot of resentment, if not disdain for New Orleans in general and apathy, at best, for the Saints from many in BR. Many also believe that the Saints don't generate enough money to justify the state subsidy. I defend this often to in-laws and others. I am not sure that drafting an LSU stud will change anything, but I would love Dorsey and may sway the diehard Tiger fans who are only casual Saints fans.:idunno:

The relationship? The LSU threads go on the SR.com Collegiate Sports Board and the Saints threads go on the
SR.com Super Forum. Simple. :hihi:

I love both of them. I hate when either one of them lose. I bleed black and gold and purple and gold. I truly support both of Louisiana's football teams.

Lots of North Louisiana Fans of LSU are Cowboys Fans, Drafting Dorsey would not oly solidify the middle of the defense, but add to the fan base across the state.

Got to be honest your wrong on that. I live in monroe and its about 70-30 Saints to Cowboy fans. A majority of the Cowboy fans in north la are in the Shreveport area while most of NELA is Saints.

I'll take it one step further. I host a 3 hour Sports Talk Call in show here in Monroe which happens to be on the largest All sports station in the state and most phone calls are about the black and gold.

Northeast Louisiana is a Saints Hotbed..Lots of folks here have season tickets.

Cowboys fans EVERYWHERE in Shreveport/Bossier..alot of it has to do with they show the boys instead of the Saints on tv there.

Last edited:
Baton Rouge residents resented the Saints having to use their facility the '05 season...I know many and they all had this feeling and would remark about it everytime I saw them.

I tell you what, I never saw the resentment. As a Baton Rouge resident, an LSU season ticket holder, and a Saints season ticket holder, me and my group of friends had a great time in Tiger Stadium.

I think its more of a myth than anything. Every Saint fan I know in Baton Rouge is also a huge Tiger fan.

Agreed. I'm obviously a big LSU fan, have been for a long time. Winning championships doesn't hurt either, although I had season tickets through the Hallman/Dinardo years too. That said, I've been a Saints fan for as long as I can remember and would probably trade the BCS championships for a Saints Superbowl win. But I can cheer for both. And judging by the number of fleur de lis stickers I see on cars in BR, that's true for many here.

I love both teams, but I'm a Saints fan 1st.

This sums me up exactly. Saints were my first love growing up in NO, was a Tulane fan very early on :covri: , got into LSU when my family did an intervention at about age 7 and went to my first game in Tiger Stadium (7-0 win in the pouring rain vs. Kentucky) when I was 11. Later attended LSU and enjoyed everything that went with that, but the Saints remained #1 in my heart and my allegiance. Used to be you could tell a lot about someone by the way they answered the follwoing question: What would make you happier-- the Saints winning the Super Bowl, or the Tigers winning the National Championship?? Now that the Tigers have won a couple, things have become a little convoluted. But I always answered "Saints Super Bowl" every time.

I'm a huge Saints and LSU fan. I've been a fan of both since I was 6 years old (almost 40 years now). I've flown in 21 straight years for a LSU / Saints weekend since leaving Louisiana after graduating from college.

I cannot choose. It's been easier to be an LSU fan the last 5-6 years but I still get upset if either lose.

I can say there is nothing like a gameday experience in Baton Rouge. The game just is lagniappe.

In spite of that I would give up 3 straight LSU losing seasons to see the Saints win a Superbowl. Provided the Tigers win another NC this year. :)

Most LSU fans I know are either 1) a Saints fans also or 2) could care less about the NFL or any one team.

Got to be honest your wrong on that. I live in monroe and its about 70-30 Saints to Cowboy fans. A majority of the Cowboy fans in north la are in the Shreveport area while most of NELA is Saints.

I'll take it one step further. I host a 3 hour Sports Talk Call in show here in Monroe which happens to be on the largest All sports station in the state and most phone calls are about the black and gold.

Northeast Louisiana is a Saints Hotbed..Lots of folks here have season tickets.

Cowboys fans EVERYWHERE in Shreveport/Bossier..alot of it has to do with they show the boys instead of the Saints on tv there.

Ok than Change my statement to read lots of Northwest LA fans and it is true.

/split hairs

besides what is shown on TV here, Cowboys have been a very successful franchise, and its 3 hours to dallas versus 6 hours to New Orleans.

Lots of LSU fans here though, and Saints drafting Dorsey would create more fans in the north[west] part of the state.

FWIW I have lived in NELA, and I would hardly call it a "Saints Hotbed" sure your reginal radio show will get a lot of callers who are saints fans, and sure there are more saints fans in that area than fans of any other team but I think calling the greater monroe metro area a "Saints Hotbed" is a bit of an exaggeration.

When LSU was losing in the early 90's and the Saints were winning, LSU fans were Saints fans. I remember leaving tiger stadium after yet another loss...I passed by the student section as they were leaving and they were singing the "who dat" song. It made me feel good. problem is...saints lost the next day, which made me feel bad.

Grew up in Gonzales, then move to West Monroe for High School.
Always been a LSU Tiger and Saints fan.

I also root for all Louisiana teams college and pro . Voodoo, Hornets, LaTech , ULM, Tulane, Cajuns, McNeese St. ... Ect.

Living in Florida now, I also keep pace with the Semi-Noles and USF bulls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom