What's the scoop on Kaare Johnson? (1 Viewer)

gerry v has been on since monday i think....i listen to 1280 on the ride home every day.....he's traveling with the hornets so his show is off and on depending on the hornets schedule......he still is the best sports talk show in the area

By in the area, you mean OKC?

/NoJive

Oh, and best sports talk in the area is a dubious distinction don't you think?

I personally don't like Gerry's personality and I don't think he gives out very good Saints information. His Hornets info is top notch, but frankly I care much more about the Saints and despite Kenny Wilkerson and Bobby Hebert being annoying, and Hokie not caring, they do have much better Saints info.

Last edited:
He hasn't done that since the storm, as far as I know. After the storm, he was covering the city and did some of the best and most important reporting I've ever heard, or ever will hear. Annoying sports show or not, I've got a soft spot for him since those times.

I have to agree about Kaare. I really was never a big fan of his, but I did listen to The Game a lot because I was often listening to the radio when it was on and it was local sports talk, but his delivery was highly annoying.

I thought he hit his stride as a radio news reporter. He was doing a really good job with that, and he probably could have been a better "news" host than Spud McConnell, who I find highly annoying. The thing with Kaare is that he is a smart guy, he knows sports and news, it's just that he has an annoying personality.

Since some of you guys miss him so much you ought to call him on "the cellular device."

My favorite was when he'd try to turn a random caller into a little mini-commericial by asking the caller if they'd been to Drago's, used such-and-such product, etc.

I did because I was out in New Orleans East looking for a good restaurant.

..."Out in the East, where the rents are the least." I haven't heard the guy in 6 or 7 years, but I do remember that little catchphrase, and how he was always urging people to live in New Orleans- Uptown, Mid-City, lakeview, whatever- instead of moving out to Metairie or the Northshore. it was his own mini-cause, I guess....

Kaare could be annoying at times, but overall I liked his show. He had some pretty funny regular callers like that one dude from Calliope that always called and the biggest nerd I've ever heard "Mr. X." That kid seriously has no life.

Kaare was the only one of the WWL staff that knew about anything other than the Saints. Plus, his rants on New Orleans East were classic.

"I tell you what, that Saints offensive line does a great job at pass protection and keeping the QB's jersey clean...speaking of clean, I had a bottle of Abita Springs water the other day, and let me tell you. That is the best tasting water I've ever had. It's fantastic. You haven't lived until you've tasted Abita Springs water..."

"I tell you what, that Saints offensive line does a great job at pass protection and keeping the QB's jersey clean...speaking of clean, I had a bottle of Abita Springs water the other day, and let me tell you. That is the best tasting water I've ever had. It's fantastic. You haven't lived until you've tasted Abita Springs water..."

..............:_rofl:

Never did care for him that much when he was sports only, but he did do some good post K reports, so he gets a +1 for that. That said, I'm still not a big fan of 870's sports talk. Like everyone else, I get tired of 20 minutes of actual sports sandwiched between 40 minutes of commercials, traffic, weather and news at the top and bottom of the hour. Gerry V is so so, but his shtick gets old, ans with the hornets on the road he goes MIA from time to time. Sports radio in Nola is pretty sad as a whole. Your mileage may vary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom