What's up with Wil Lutz (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
I've asked this many seasons and every time I receive pushback. And yes, after last season I am very happy that we have Lutz back. But it HAS to be annoying to some of yall by this point that Lutz has the potential to be a great kicker but his inconsistencies always rear their ugly head.

Every training camp he looks like he's on the path to being the best kicker in the NFL and then when the bright lights are on, he misses big kicks. He makes big kicks too. I get that. The ATL game is almost very fitting of him. Missed a crucial kick for us but then made THE crucial kick for us.

This isn't a "Cut Lutz" thread. I KNOW that after last year we should be appreciative of Lutz. But the missed kick yesterday was pretty significant. I wish he could play to his potential all the time and I think it's ok to call out that he doesn't.

Lutz made everything in training camp. He is obviously being affected by the same negative vibes that’s running through our entire team.

He’s still a great kicker. But he will certainly lose the confidence everyone has in him if these makeable kicks continue to miss the target. Perhaps he is just putting a lot pressure on himself to be the spark for this anemic offense.

Lutz made everything in training camp. He is obviously being affected by the same negative vibes that’s running through our entire team.

He’s still a great kicker. But he will certainly lose the confidence everyone has in him if these makeable kicks continue to miss the target. Perhaps he is just putting a lot pressure on himself to be the spark for this anemic offense.
See, we can't call him a great kicker though. He's a good to very good. He has potential to be great which makes his inconsistencies maddening. I don't "call him out" cuz I dislike the guy, I "call him out" because we KNOW he can be a top 3 kicker in this league but its like he gets nervous/in his head for mundane kicks and only makes game winners lol. He's let Younghoe Koo leap him in a short time as best kicker in the division.

They were mentioning in pre-game that he was struggling making his kicks, but they blamed it on the wind that was coming in the stadium. He missed one or two while Deuce was talking about it. Could that have gotten to him?

They were mentioning in pre-game that he was struggling making his kicks, but they blamed it on the wind that was coming in the stadium. He missed one or two while Deuce was talking about it. Could that have gotten to him?
Heard the same thing. They said he hit the upright twice and then right as Deuce and Hoss were talking about it, he hit it a 3rd time.

They were saying there was no wind on the field but up in the air there were gusts.

Heard the same thing. They said he hit the upright twice and then right as Deuce and Hoss were talking about it, he hit it a 3rd time.

They were saying there was no wind on the field but up in the air there were gusts.
This is concerning… I really hope he doesn’t have the yips

Could be some truth to this. It does seem many FGs hit the upright these days. Not saying this about Lutz’ warmups, but in general

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom