What's with the running game? (2 Viewers)

Ruprict

Very Banned
Reaction score
Is it just that Deuce is a little banged up?

The OL not opening holes?

I love that we're 6-2 and I'm getting excited about how far we can go. The NFC is definitely a little down this year. I think Grossman will continue to get exposed. I also don't see why everybody thinks the Giants are so good.

If Hasselbeck and Alexander come back healthy....the Seahwks could be dangerous because they may be gelling and peaking right at playoff time.

This is as good a year as any for the Saints to make a deep playoff run. I think we're going to have to get back to being able to pound the ball when we need to.

What's up with the running game these last 3 games?

Teams are focued on making the Saints one dimensional by stopping the run (watching the Ravens gametape). They hope to make Brees' self destruct. So they're loading up the box, focued on the back. Hey, it worked for the Ravens....

A few more reasons - Deuce is still having knee pain and swelling from scar tissue. It'll take this wwhole season and the off season for Deuce's knee to be 100%. So he's not at full speed. Reggie Bush is still learning the pro running game. He's got to learn what worked for him in college won't in the pros. He can't bounce everything outside, pro LBs are just too fast. He also needs to learn that when you give ground trying to make a move all you've done is lost yardage. Bush needs to learn patience and to look for cutback lanes. To his credit every report out of the Saints locker room says that Bush smart/hardowrking so he'll learn.

Finally the OL is comprised of two rookies, a 2nd yr. vet. moved to LT, a versatile vet guard, and vet Center acquired in trade. Think about it - a true rookie, Evans, and a virtual rookie in Stinchcomb (with Streif it's three rookies). Run blocking takes time, theses guys have only been together for eight games. As they get more comfortable together, gain strength, learn technique run blocking will improve. Doug Marrone is doing an excellent job with the OL. At the rate he has them improving they're going to be one of the better units in the NFL for years.....

The Ravens jammed 8-9 men in the box, a la the Bears old 46 defense, and it worked.

The Bucs then proceeded to try the same thing, but (a) they don't have as much talent on their defense any more and (b) we were ready for it, and Brees passed them silly. We could have broken 50 if we kept throwing, but once we got up 31-14 we put a few things in our back pocket for later in the year.

The Steelers aren't nearly as good as the Ravens on D right now, andif they come at us like the Bucs did, I think we'll have success again.

The Ravens jammed 8-9 men in the box, a la the Bears old 46 defense, and it worked.

The Bucs then proceeded to try the same thing, but (a) they don't have as much talent on their defense any more and (b) we were ready for it, and Brees passed them silly. We could have broken 50 if we kept throwing, but once we got up 31-14 we put a few things in our back pocket for later in the year.

The Steelers aren't nearly as good as the Ravens on D right now, andif they come at us like the Bucs did, I think we'll have success again.

I agree, the Steelers secondary is suspect except for Polamalou (sp?). The linebacking corps isn't nearly as talented as Baltimore's. I expect us to come out the gates running, get Polamalou to commit to the run and burn them with play action down the seam. I expect Campbell to have a good game provided he catches the ball. Colston/Washington matchup should favor us heavily.

If we started gunslinging on the Ravens early we would have beat them too.

The honest truth is that teams have more respect for Deuce and Bush than they do for Horn and Colston. As long as that is true we need to Pass to set up the run.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good insight.

I was beginning to think this website was more interested in handing out player nicknames then actually discussing football.

BTW, what's Doug Marrone's background? I've heard his name a lot recently. Just wondering where he came from.

Thanks,

Thanks for the replies guys. Good insight.

I was beginning to think this website was more interested in handing out player nicknames then actually discussing football.

BTW, what's Doug Marrone's background? I've heard his name a lot recently. Just wondering where he came from.

Thanks,

It's probably just that most of us have been discussing the running game daily, so coming up with silly nicknames was a welcome distraction. I often forget just how young this line is.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/coachbio.cfm?coachid=314

It's probably just that most of us have been discussing the running game daily, so coming up with silly nicknames was a welcome distraction. I often forget just how young this line is.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/coachbio.cfm?coachid=314

Thanks for the link.

I scanned the whole first page and didn't see a single relevant football thread.

Most threads were about ESPN analysts, future headlines, or what Bucs and Falcons fans were saying.

Did you check page 2? heh I honestly believe that most pertinent topics get discussed here, and fresh material is always welcome.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom