What's your biggest concern coming into this the offense or defense (1 Viewer)

Secondary in particular bc of lack of experience. That's why I'm hoping Finnegan makes the cut

For a team that has been and will be until Brees retires and that relies on elite guard play that gives him time to throw, the answer has to be the offense. In recent years if the defense would've been ranked about 18-22 we would have made the playoffs. If they offense finished worse than 8-10 we are looking at 6-10. The oline is currently no more figured out than it was on the first day of training camp.

Execution, Execution, Execution!

The offensive line is not getting manhandled as much as they're missing assignments. Yes we have some one-on-ones that we can't handle, but that's why you play as a team. Sometimes, a guard is going to need help, sometimes Strief is going to need help. If a matter of recognition and execution and we're not there yet.

We have the same problem on defense. These guys haven't played together and they miss things.

Really, physically I'm not worried about the offensive line, but they do have to learn to play together. I would have played the first team a lot more in preseason despite the "NFL wisdom" of avoiding injuries. A healthy team that can't execute yields the same results as a patchwork team. I don't think you can play football afraid of getting hurt. If you do, you're going to get hurt with a losing attitude.

The only thing I saw in preseason games that I found "concerning" aside from the poor execution, was the defense's ability to stop the off-tackle run. We looked like we were man-handled off-tackle. If I were game-calling against this Saint defense, I would run just outside the defensive end. Left and right. Not laterally. We have good speed to string things out. But off-tackle with a down hill component until they showed they could stop it. And if we have to do something special to stop it, that would open up something else.

History with this regime will show you that you don't ever worry about the offense. You worry about the defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom