What's Your Sports Background? (1 Viewer)

Kicks

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm interested in the demographics of this group. Many of y'all impress me with your knowledge of the game and it makes me wonder if y'all are coaching somewhere. Then there are a few others...LOL
My background:
8th grade basketball - City Champs
High School Football, starting offense & defense & special teams, letterman;
High School Track; ran the 880, letterman
College: Greek intrumurals: Football (QB), softball (2nd base), basketball, and volleyball.
Employer's softball team; pitcher, 2nd base.
Employeer's basketball team.
Coached Little League baseball 3 years. Finished 1st and 2nd place in league.
Taekwondo: 12 State Championship titles, 4 Regional Championships, placed 2nd twice at Nationals and 1st place once; U.S. Open International Championships 1st and 2nd place.
Currently teaching and coaching Olympic Sport Taekwondo with several regional and national Champion students.
Currently a sports photographer, freelance for NOLA.com
(ps. I won a ping pong tournament on a cruise ship on my honeymoon. LOL)

Uhh. I played Tennis in HS, but I didn't make the cut for the team... That's about as close as I ever got to ever being on a team or doing something sports related.

Other than that, I don't really have a background in sports at all. And TBH, they didn't really interest me while growing up outside watching football.

Only sport I excelled at:

Soccer. Forward.

Various travelling teams in my youth ( from u8-u18 )
Many individual awards (All City, All State, etc )
Jr. High- 7th/8th- starter
High School ( first one - Ben Franklin ) First freshman to make and start on Varsity team.
High School ( then the second one- OPW ) -started all three years...
Olympic development team in 1989.

then got disillusioned with the game.

Returned to it in 1991 - rec ball. played up until 1998. Lost a step.

football, bball, baseball, track at lakeview playground
football, baseball at Jesuit
but i found wrestling at Jesuit and that was a better fit for me (138lb at the time)
i wish there had been an opportunity for me to play soccer in my youth b/c i think that was the game i was supposed to play (it wasn't invented til like the late 80s, right?)
football & bball intramurals in college
and when i was in grad school in North Carolina we had lunctime bball games with all the coaches, coordinators, trainers THOSE were some good damn games
Started dancing in college and that (with wrestling) has been the most demanding physical training i've ever done (including trx training)

i never played organized sports. but depending on how many of my friends i could get together, we played pretty much anything we could. if there was only a couple of us, we played tennis. a few more, basketball. even more, football. we never really played soccer unless the world cup was happening. we never played baseball, i guess because not enough people had the equipment, or were interested enough.

Played the the big three as a kid (Football, Baseball, Basketball). As I got further along in HS I gravitated towards Basketball more. In College I pretty much spent all of my free time on the court but I also started getting into officiating Flag Football, Basketball and Softball. After College I picked up coaching youth teams and when my son started to show an interest in sports I have been coaching him in Baseball, Basketball and Soccer for the past 5 years.

I also scored 4 touchdowns in a single game when I played for Polk High.

Played football from 7-18, decent high school offensive lineman but too vertically challenged to want to continue to put my body through that. Played in the 1993 MS North/South All-Star football game with some future NFL players that blew my mind with their speed. Had the opportunity to play D3 ball but I was ready to move on. Also played golf and threw the shot put in high school, two sports you don't usually see with dual participants.

Earned a Bachelor's degree in Athletic Training from Southern Miss in 97 and a Master's in 99. Have been working on the MS Gulf Coast as a Certified Athletic Trainer since 97 at the high school, juco, and semi-pro levels. This means I've seen my share of cool injuries but also tons of boring sports.

I played football until I got into fighting then after that I went into golf.

I was starting RB and Safety my whole small era, 2-0 1 ko in my brief boxing career, still a scratch golfer but just don't have the money to play like I used to due to me building a home and etc..

I want to fight again, im 30 so I know boxing won't give me a chance so I have been falling back on my martial arts more I took from age 8 to 19 got 3rd degree in Shotokan, my brother is 8th degree which he always has to remind me of.

But hell I don't know if I will get into any sport, my music means more to me and the reason I quit fighting is cause I broke someone orbital in a fight and I just couldn't look myself in the mirror for awhile, I felt bad my greatest acheievement in football was back in the 90's I played for the old Gulfport Central junior high team, I lit Biloxi up for 4 td's and I don't even know how many yards and on one kickoff I hit this dude right off the feild of play so hard he fell into the bench and every one on the bench fell back including the water cooler, I still smile cause everyone was calling me the white Barry Sanders, man those were the days.

Thanks for this thread I have had a rough week and remembering like this put a smile on my face. :9:

I played football, basketball and baseball in high school. Then I was the starting quarterback at a large Catholic University and took them to an NCAA title. I was a 3rd round pick in the NFL draft and led my team to four Super Bowl victories. Then I spent a couple of years with another team before I retired. When all was said and done, I played in 8 Pro Bowls, was awarded NFL MVP twice and named greatest clutch quarterback of all time.

Seems to pale in comparison to most of you guys.

:mwink:

I played football, basketball and baseball in high school. Then I was the starting quarterback at a large Catholic University and took them to an NCAA title. I was a 3rd round pick in the NFL draft and led my team to four Super Bowl victories. Then I spent a couple of years with another team before I retired. When all was said and done, I played in 8 Pro Bowls, was awarded NFL MVP twice and named greatest clutch quarterback of all time.

Seems to pale in comparison to most of you guys.

:mwink:

:smilielol:

Really excelled at hockey. Played a lot of organized ice hockey (high school hockey included). Some organized youth football. Some intramural sports of course (Basketball, etc).

Currently coach youth teams in football and ice hockey.

Those summers in Rangoon, and luge lessons are all the sports background I need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom