What's your take on this year's draft? (1 Viewer)

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I've been following the draft process for the past 4 or 5 years, and I have to say that I've never seen this much uncertainty on first round prospects.
Why do you think that is?

I'll give you an example, based on the QB position:

Either Smith or Barkley are top 10 picks, or they aren't first round worthy. How is this possible?
I watched Shaun King today on a PFT segment, and he said Geno Smith had a TD/INT ratio of 44/6, and close to a 70% completion rate, or something like that, and people still downgrade him (considering that people didn't question Gabbert or Sanchez the years before, that's incredible).
Barkley, on the other hand, was a tier below Andrew Luck and RG III last year, and now he seems to fall out of the first round. The same thing happened to Jake Locker's stock, and he ended up being selected 7th overall.

What's going on then?

Very polarizing draft.

Everyone has gaping holes are issues they are dealing with. No sure fire, cant miss talents here. This is not to say none of these guys will become All-pro starts, just hard to project with any of these guys.

Jarvis Jones, puts out outstanding tape and production the last few years, but has a spine problem and slow 40.
Geno has all the numbers but questionable tape.
Matt Barkley has all the pedigree but weak arm.
Dion Jordan is a physical freak but where was the production? Same for Mingo?
Damontre Moore had solid production but where is the athleticism?
Tavon Austin was a dynamo by he is small.
Patterson is a great athelete but stuggles at runnign routes and catching the ball.
Star Latuleli (sp?) has a heart condition and questionalbe motor.
Tank Carradine has great production but blew out his knee.
Eddie Lacy has done nothing in the pre draft proccess dealing with a hammy.
Lattimore looked All-World in college but had a terrible injury and is rehabing.
Ziggy Ansah has started 9 FB games only learned about football 3 years ago, yet is a physical beast.
Sharrif Floydd put out outstanding tape, but has real short arms.

There are just question marks about everyone. Joekel, Fisher, and Johnson seem like the only clean prospects.

I've been following the draft process for the past 4 or 5 years, and I have to say that I've never seen this much uncertainty on first round prospects.
Why do you think that is?

I'll give you an example, based on the QB position:

Either Smith or Barkley are top 10 picks, or they aren't first round worthy. How is this possible?
I watched Shaun King today on a PFT segment, and he said Geno Smith had a TD/INT ratio of 44/6, and close to a 70% completion rate, or something like that, and people still downgrade him (considering that people didn't question Gabbert or Sanchez the years before, that's incredible).
Barkley, on the other hand, was a tier below Andrew Luck and RG III last year, and now he seems to fall out of the first round. The same thing happened to Jake Locker's stock, and he ended up being selected 7th overall.

What's going on then?

Team need dictates that they will either be top 10 picks or not first round picks at all.

And to say no one questioned Gabbert that's pretty inaccurate, he had huge question marks over him and the same with Ryan Tannehill and Christian Ponder.

Locker had a bad senior year by his own standards so that caused his stock to fall the same goes for Barkley he didn't light it up like he had before and then he went down Injured.

I think when all is said and done Barkley and Smith still go top ten.

this is really normal, but in the past few years they didn't have a rookie cap, so they tried to sign these guys early and you would have a better feel for who was going first.

I kind of have the feeling as well that the rookie wage scale has changed things. Does this mean that teams will gamble more in the early parts of the draft?
I don't get, for instance, why Jarvis Jones and Lotulelei who have been cleared medically, still fall out of the top 10 on some mock drafts... weren't they considered "sure" picks before?

I think the rookie scale makes the first 10 picks more valuable , you don't have to pay the kind of money you used to. but this draft doesn't have that many sure fire picks, so we shall see, I think Oakland would like to trade down, but who would want to trade up and for who?

I kind of have the feeling as well that the rookie wage scale has changed things. Does this mean that teams will gamble more in the early parts of the draft?
I don't get, for instance, why Jarvis Jones and Lotulelei who have been cleared medically, still fall out of the top 10 on some mock drafts... weren't they considered "sure" picks before?

Only teams can "clear" a guy at this point. And no one knows if teams have cleared those guys yet or not. I know Star worked out at his pro-day but that doesnt mean anything. We'll see on draft day who is cleared and who isnt. If Jones tumbles than there are some huge issues with his medical because from a tape standpoint he is a top 15 pick.

Really deep in the defensive front 7, full of tweeners with holes, no overwhelming dominate player.

Lot of solid athletes at the tackle spots.

Other than Cam Newton-lite (Geno Smith, who I am calling Cam Newton-lite not because he is black or because he plays like Cam Newton, but because he's a polarizing player, much more-so than Luck or Griffin were, who were universally loved by all) a depressingly weak QB class......depressing, that is, unless you're already set there :hihi:

Little light on offensive skill players, RB, WR, and TE. I know people say it's "deep" at TE and WR but I don't see it as much, especially on the top end.

It's a good defensive draft. It's a good trench draft. And it's a good draft to be picking in the middle of the first. Without the clear cut "best at his position and it's not even close" guys we've had in the past, there are decent odds you'll get as good a player at 15 as you would at 5.

This year may be the year where I am more into the "party" instead of the draft itself (annual draft party that I attend).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom