Wheel of Time - Cast Predictions/Wishlist (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm only through the first one so far. A little cringy, but so far better than I feared.

I don't think this is spoilery, but the Two Rivers is diverse ah. LIke it's supposed to be this really isolated, insular region where Rand sticks out because he doesn't look exactly like everyone else. But this Two Rivers looks like a NOLA magnet school. Diversity is great until it makes no logical sense in the narrative. The implication here is that for 1000 years, black citizens only bred with black citizens and Asian-appearing citizens only bred with other Asian-appearing citizens, and so forth.

I'm not a fan of the casting in general, but I think Rand looks pretty much exactly how I pictured from the books

Anyone else getting a little concerned that they're setting up Egwene to be the Dragon?

Anyway, the wife is bought in, so I imagine we'll be sticking with it.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm only through the first one so far. A little cringy, but so far better than I feared.

I don't think this is spoilery, but the Two Rivers is diverse ah. LIke it's supposed to be this really isolated, insular region where Rand sticks out because he doesn't look exactly like everyone else. But this Two Rivers looks like a NOLA magnet school. Diversity is great until it makes no logical sense in the narrative. The implication here is that for 1000 years, black citizens only bred with black citizens and Asian-appearing citizens only bred with other Asian-appearing citizens, and so forth.

I'm not a fan of the casting in general, but I think Rand looks pretty much exactly how I pictured from the books

Anyone else getting a little concerned that they're setting up Egwene to be the Dragon?

Anyway, the wife is bought in, so I imagine we'll be sticking with it.

Ok, you've piqued my interest, because the Rand in my head is a 6'6 Viking and the guy in the trailers is a WC prettyboy with all the gravitas of Woody Allen.

Reaction score
Ok, you've piqued my interest, because the Rand in my head is a 6'6 Viking and the guy in the trailers is a WC prettyboy with all the gravitas of Woody Allen.
I presume he will fill out some as he's trained. But he's tall with the red hair. I always got the picture that he was "pretty" in the books as well.

FL_Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I watched first two episodes. I was worried about this, but I don't . . . hate it. So far. The biggest cringe I have . . .

Perrin, married? Then kills his wife? WT . . . ?

I am fine with just about everything else. But that scene was not necessary for the story. Unless they are going to flesh that our more later.

Look, I get that this is likely considered "better" tv than the story that was written 20 years ago. This is also going to be competing with other fantasy type shows coming out soon.

Reaction score
I watched first two episodes. I was worried about this, but I don't . . . hate it. So far. The biggest cringe I have . . .

Perrin, married? Then kills his wife? WT . . . ?

I am fine with just about everything else. But that scene was not necessary for the story. Unless they are going to flesh that our more later.

Look, I get that this is likely considered "better" tv than the story that was written 20 years ago. This is also going to be competing with other fantasy type shows coming out soon.
100%. Just...why? I assume it's building to some characterization later on, maybe a reluctance to develop a relationship. But I had the exact same thought. Just why?

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't hate it. Didn't love it either, but it wasn't terrible. They do a lot of telling instead of showing... and when they do show, it's pretty hamfisted ("Look at the heron on the sword.... look at it!!!!")

Rand definitely did not start out like that. He was definitely described as a pretty, but clueless boy, tall, sweet, backwards. The actor they got, does that pretty well... now can he grow into the guy you're picturing? I never pictured him as a Viking though...not exactly sure, just someone very hard edged and powerful.

I thought Mat's casting was pretty good.

I wish they'd shown Tam being a bit more of a badass... they hinted at it, but not enough.

I agree having a very ethnically diverse Two Rivers makes little sense, particularly when they even mention the "old blood", both in the books, and the show, it's supposed to be very isolated. I'm good with changing ethnicities from books to shows, but it ought to make sense. But whatever, it wasn't that jarring as presented in the show.

I'm not sold on Moiraine. I think they did ok with Lan so far.

totally agree with the odd change with Perrin's storyline. Not sure why they made that change... maybe something to do with how he treats Faile later, especially when she gets kidnapped by the Shaido, maybe?

Anyway, it's good enough that i'll probably watch the second episode when i'm folding laundry at some point, but not good enough that i immediately need to watch the next episode.

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
Well, after the disappointment of La Brea and Intergalactic, this was pleasant surprise. At least I’ll make it past the first episode.

Reaction score
We’ll see. I’m not a huge Moraine fan…so I can see her being the central character leading to disappointment. Madeleine Madden just doesn’t do it for me. There is nothing that I find attractive about her…sorry. It’s like the creators of the show has a checklist of ethnicities and it’s just not realistic. Again, sorry.

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It is about as awful as I anticipated
I almost couldn't get past the first episode. The lines/script are bad, acting bad. Rand reminds me of Hayden Christensen for all the bad reasons

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
It is about as awful as I anticipated
I almost couldn't get past the first episode. The lines/script are bad, acting bad. Rand reminds me of Hayden Christensen for all the bad reasons
I was going to comment about Anakin being in this, uncanny lookalike.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I finished the first 3 episodes. I was hoping it would get better. It does not. I don't mind the cast... but the script is really just poor.

It really is weird watching shows make the same mistakes over and over again. They actually spent money on this too, which makes it all the more disappointing. Makes me nervous for Amazon's Lord of the Rings show.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I finished the first 3 episodes. I was hoping it would get better. It does not. I don't mind the cast... but the script is really just poor.

It really is weird watching shows make the same mistakes over and over again. They actually spent money on this too, which makes it all the more disappointing. Makes me nervous for Amazon's Lord of the Rings show.
I haven't been able to watch it yet. this isn't making me excited...

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Before anyone gets attached to Mat.. they already recast him for season 2.

Why the hell is Perrin married? And why the hell isnt Thom at Bel Tine?

Yea the diverse Emond Field threw me off.

But i had low expectations. And so far this show has at least surpassed them.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch it yet. this isn't making me excited...

If they don't slow down and do some character development, and allow the world to explain itself instead of through clunky exposition, then don't bother. I'm not optimistic.

Reaction score
So this seems to be one of those ones where men and women differ greatly in their interest in this. So far, my wife included, the women I see taking about this tend to be enjoying it. The men are all "meh to middling" on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom