When a team is wildly inconsistent, that points to one thing. Coaching. (1 Viewer)

Not to be that guy, but you guys realize that this was the first true egg we have laid all year, right??? This was the first game we were out of it in the 4th quarter. MOST teams have a few games like this a year. Unfortunately for us, with the unlucky breaks with Special Teams and officiating, we couldn't afford even one.

Stop with the "we have sucked all year" deal

Here's the thing , the lions came in with one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL right ? Isn't it amazing to see what competent coaching /coaches can do in game planning and scheming etc . Our coaches are absolutely a big part of the problem .

No it's not, it's pretty simple here to see what the problem is. If you have different players making the same mistakes over and over again in different seasons then it's coaching. If your team is again unprepared for important games, then again it's coaching. If you again have the same time management and lack of urgency issues then again IT'S COACHING. Just because teams like the Rams have decided to settle for 7-9 or in this season's case maybe worse, we as fans should not. I was never sold on this team turning it around after the 0-3 start even when we were 4-4. At the beginning of the season I predicted a 6-10 finish and man Sean Payton is determined to prove me right. The real 2016 Saints are the ones who blew the Raiders and Broncos games and didn't show up for the Panthers (road) and Lions games. Thanks Sean!

trying to boil down highly complicated issues into simple/single bullet solutions is silly

No it's not, it's pretty simple here to see what the problem is. If you have different players making the same mistakes over and over again in different seasons then it's coaching. If your team is again unprepared for important games, then again it's coaching. If you again have the same time management and lack of urgency issues then again IT'S COACHING. Just because teams like the Rams have decided to settle for 7-9 or in this season's case maybe worse, we as fans should not. I was never sold on this team turning it around after the 0-3 start even when we were 4-4. At the beginning of the season I predicted a 6-10 finish and man Sean Payton is determined to prove me right. The real 2016 Saints are the ones who blew the Raiders and Broncos games and didn't show up for the Panthers (road) and Lions games. Thanks Sean!

the same coaching staff that coaches wins coaches the losses
the same players that win the game lose the game
the same GM that looks likes genius when some unknown FA has a spectacular play looks like an idiot when that same player costs us a game

Drew doesn't flub the shotgun snap and we get the 1st go down and score or Sterling Moore picks off that pass and scores a pick 6, the game could just as easily gone a completely different way -- neither of those things is "coaching"

i get the impulse to make things simple, it's comforting in a way b/c we can then make ourselves believe that with a "simple" change we can make things better, but it's just not the case

In my opinion, I am not saying "we have sucked all year" when I agree with the OP. But what I feel (and I think others do as well) is that there is something wrong with the coaching on this team. For this type of game to happen, there is only one other way to look at it besides putting it all on Coach..and it's something every athlete has, and that's simply a bad day.

But I don't look at the way this game played out as "bad days" across the board. It's bad strategy, woeful playcalling, poor usage of players and match-ups, and of course what's been talked about heavily in this thread, proper motivation and emotional involvement (really caring).

Am I saying Sean needs to be fired? No. But I do think we are stuck in a rut and usually the only way out of a rut is a major change in some way or true change of philosophy.

The last game was the anomaly, not this game. The game versus the Rams was such a pleasant and unexpected surprise, it reminded everyone of the golden days and what this team could be with the proper game plan and motivation and the team's ability to execute it. But this is not the norm.

This game was I'm sad to say. Again, this is just what my gut is telling me. I rarely get into these discussions, but I couldn't help myself in this occasion.

I'm not saying it's all on coach, some players are still having brain farts or just have poor IQ (i.e. was it Sterling Moore on that long Tate reception?). Of course...the coaches decided to put this player out there with that responsibility...and it didn't work.

In conclusion of my thoughts on this....I truly hope I'm wrong, but as mentioned, until a major change occurs, this team will not have a "good year" and go 11-5 (heck, probably never 9-7) or better and win the division with Sean again. I understand and agree there is no other coach out there I could point at and say he could/would light the fire that's missing, but I do believe what you see is what you will continue to see until a major change occurs.

Defense held its own for the most part. This could have been a really lop-sided loss. Were they motivated and the offense wasn't?

How much should have to go into motivating a veteran like Brees so he doesn't throw three interceptions, and so the offense doesn't misfire on multiple occasions?

And how much of it is because of the opponent? I thought the Lions' defense played well, and especially the defensive front which consistently got disruptive pressure throughout the game.

I think yesterday was a clearer indication that this team still isn't talented enough and that they had to kick the can down the road on some players and areas of the roster that still need improvement.

I would not say that the defense held its own. We were fortunate they held in the red zone, but Detroit moved at ease and dominated the game.

I would not say that the defense held its own. We were fortunate they held in the red zone, but Detroit moved at ease and dominated the game.

It wasn't a great effort, or even a good enough one by the end of the game, but I stick by what I said. The defense kept the game winnable until late in the fourth quarter, and just didn't get much help from the offense.

Bottom line Saints fans is that we need more talent. Injuries, suspect coaching and a myriad of other things all play a part in this teams demise. Perfect world, we win out, whether that means a playoff birth or not. Let's spend wisely in free agency and take some ballers in the draft and let the chips fall where they may in the 2017 season

The Lions had the perfect game plan. Keep the ball out of the offense's hands and it worked out great, though they didn't really need to. The offense was horrid. Stafford sure did make for a boring game taking the clock down to near 1 every single play.

Our offense hasn't really lost anyone except Armstead, so using the lack of depth as a reason for the play yesterday is dumb. The defense held them enough times for the amount of time they were on the field.

One of the biggest issues is SP not being able to adjust. He sticks to his game plan whether it works or not.

Defense held its own for the most part. This could have been a really lop-sided loss. Were they motivated and the offense wasn't?

How much should have to go into motivating a veteran like Brees so he doesn't throw three interceptions, and so the offense doesn't misfire on multiple occasions?

And how much of it is because of the opponent? I thought the Lions' defense played well, and especially the defensive front which consistently got disruptive pressure throughout the game.

I think yesterday was a clearer indication that this team still isn't talented enough and that they had to kick the can down the road on some players and areas of the roster that still need improvement.

Bolded is all the problem really is.

If Cam Jordan gets the INT, or Moore is Marcus Peters and thats an INT...momentum is the other way.

We've gotten better but the injuries early on hurt and when we face more talented teams with solid coaching (Raiders) we have problems. Just a few more pieces. Swimmers thread is a solid one. The 2017 team will look better.

Enjoy the ride and the moderately solid Draft pick we'll get that will get us another talented player on a team that spent most of its golden years picking in the mid 20's on average. Vs teams like the Rams/Lions that have been picking top 5-10 for 8 years.

Those are the questions you ask one person and that's the head coach.

Someone did (thought it might have been Tripplet) and he was chewed out for it.

This coach has very few expressions every time you see him on the camera. Winning, losing, anything, this guy has the same face. Several times during our beatdown yesterday, he still had this same face...

Detroit seems to be faring pretty well and they don't even have the best talent.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 74
I'm not the only one that notices this either, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 80

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom