When Antartica scientists go wild (1 Viewer)

I just saw a special talking about hillbillies, and the term redneck was originally a compliment. It meant you were a good coal miner. They would wear a red bandana around their necks, thus redneck.

I just saw a special talking about hillbillies, and the term redneck was originally a compliment. It meant you were a good coal miner. They would wear a red bandana around their necks, thus redneck.

Close.

I was under the impression that if enough people try to make an entry, then you can have wiki say anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe(d) that wiki isn't reliable.

While I haven't read that entire link just yet, I'm glad you brought it to my attention. How can a History channel come out and give information that's incorrect? I can understand how people can be wrong, but to put together a special and be totally wrong? I just might have to stop watching the channel because they could be wrong about anything they show.

The History Channel should be renamed The Supernatural Channel to reflect all the UFO, bigfoot/cryptid, and religious programming. My viewing list has been whittled down to Modern Marvels.

From your link:

A popular etymology says that the term derives from such individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The effect of decades of direct sunlight on the exposed skin of the back of the neck not only reddens fair skin, but renders it leathery and tough, and typically very wrinkled and spotted by late middle age.

That is what I have always thought the term meant - a Caucasian, often with limited education, who made his living working the land.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom