When are the 1st cuts made? (1 Viewer)

A team can cut any player at any time. In practice, teams wait until after the final preseason game to make all their cuts from 90 to 53. The bottom of the roster rookies who are let go have to clear 24 hours of time before they can either be picked up by other teams (there is a pecking order of teams). If no team claims a player after the 24-hour period, the team that let him go can then sign him to the practice squad if they so choose. For veterans released, I don't think the 24-hour waiting period applies. I could be wrong there. Maybe someone else can chime in corrections.

A team can cut any player at any time. In practice, teams wait until after the final preseason game to make all their cuts from 90 to 53. The bottom of the roster rookies who are let go have to clear 24 hours of time before they can either be picked up by other teams (there is a pecking order of teams). If no team claims a player after the 24-hour period, the team that let him go can then sign him to the practice squad if they so choose. For veterans released, I don't think the 24-hour waiting period applies. I could be wrong there. Maybe someone else can chime in corrections.
Correct. Vets are released. Players with less than 4 years are waived. "Cut" is a term fans use for either basically.

I would surmise that most cuts are made about 3rd quarter of game 3.

But they won't be announced until Aug. 31st. ?

Correct. Vets are released. Players with less than 4 years are waived. "Cut" is a term fans use for either basically.

Yep.

Technically the term is 'vested veteran' - which is any NFL player with four or more 'accrued seasons'. An accrued season is earned when the player gets six or more game checks in a season.

Vested veterans go straight to free agency at any time that they are released by a team. Players who are not vested veterans must clear waivers. Vested veterans also have their full season salary guaranteed if they are on the active roster for week 1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom