When being "woke" goes wrong (1 Viewer)

Alyssa Milano tried to show how connected she is to the marginalized of society, but it didn't go well. What a tone-deaf post and even more tone-deaf "apology."

I think it's all a bit unfair to her, frankly. She wasn't claiming to be those things so that she could go claim marginalization for herself - she didn't claim to be oppressed, personally. Her intent was clearly to say that we are all in this together and no one should be marginalized. It's obviously not literal, and it was obviously well-intentioned.

If you go back and look at the civil rights marches, there are white people in the march. They are singing "we shall overcome" right along with Dr. King and the others. They weren't claiming to be African American. They weren't claiming to be oppressed. They were actively demonstrating their personal belief that Jim Crow and segregation were wrong and that America should be better than that. And that kind of support from the "mainstream" or non-marginalized community can be very valuable. I don't think anyone looked at them and said, "Wait, why are you saying we shall overcome? "

I think Milano is clearly trying to be an active supporter of equal rights and equal treatment. She's not trying to get some kind of leg up for herself by claiming to be personally marginalized. Attacking well-intended friends of a cause is rarely productive, IMO.

I think it's all a bit unfair to her, frankly. She wasn't claiming to be those things so that she could go claim marginalization for herself - she didn't claim to be oppressed, personally. Her intent was clearly to say that we are all in this together and no one should be marginalized. It's obviously not literal, and it was obviously well-intentioned.

If you go back and look at the civil rights marches, there are white people in the march. They are singing "we shall overcome" right along with Dr. King and the others. They weren't claiming to be African American. They weren't claiming to be oppressed. They were actively demonstrating their personal belief that Jim Crow and segregation were wrong and that America should be better than that. And that kind of support from the "mainstream" or non-marginalized community can be very valuable.

I think Milano is clearly trying to be an active supporter of equal rights and equal treatment. She's not trying to get some kind of leg up for herself by claiming to be personally marginalized. Attacking well-intended friends of a cause is rarely productive, IMO.

of course you are right, but that is our culture now. People prowling social media just waiting for an excuse (real or fabricated) to be outraged

of course you are right, but that is our culture now. People prowling social media just waiting for an excuse (real or fabricated) to be outraged

Yeah, definitely some of that going on.

Yeah, definitely some of that going on.

Truth is that we don't need some artificial intelligence to force us into the matrix to live a fake life...we seem to be doing a good enough job of it all on our own

If you go back and look at the civil rights marches, there are white people in the march. They are singing "we shall overcome" right along with Dr. King and the others. They weren't claiming to be African American. They weren't claiming to be oppressed. They were actively demonstrating their personal belief that Jim Crow and segregation were wrong and that America should be better than that. And that kind of support from the "mainstream" or non-marginalized community can be very valuable. I don't think anyone looked at them and said, "Wait, why are you saying we shall overcome? "

I agree with what you are saying, but she comes off a little naive not realizing how people would react in this PC culture.

Great minds think alike.

You beat me so I guess I owe you a coke.

Last edited:
That's what I thought when I saw it. How does anyone think someone saying "I'm a lesbian" and "I'm a gay man" is speaking literally? It's just a flowery way of saying, "We're all human." More "English comprehension gone wrong" than "woke gone wrong".

That just what I was gonna say... 2019 and social media... Even when the people on the same side gotta argue and complain about what you posted.

I agree with what you are saying, but she comes off a little naive not realizing how people would react in this PC culture.

I think she would stand by the spirit and intent of her original comments. I don't think it's naive, I think she said exactly what she meant. I think the responses are misguided, not the original post. I think she probably thinks that too, but she's smart enough to walk it back a bit, but stand by the purpose . . . which is what she did. If anything, I don't think she should have said "sorry", that signaled an apology when that wasn't her intent.

I think she would stand by the spirit and intent of her original comments. I don't think it's naive, I think she said exactly what she meant. I think the responses are misguided, not the original post. I think she probably thinks that too, but she's smart enough to walk it back a bit, but stand by the purpose . . . which is what she did. If anything, I don't think she should have said "sorry", that signaled an apology when that wasn't her intent.
This is part of the game with the outrage mob. Turning on your own and eating your allies to boost your own woke points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom