When did Goodell become one of the saviors of keeping the Saints in NOLA? (1 Viewer)

He was just carrying out Tags' orders. And any role he played in that does NOT excuse what he did this season. He deserves every boo and every piece of produce that gets thrown at his lying, condescending, self-righteous, smirking face.

He became our savior after the Conference Championship games two weeks ago. Search for his name in ANY article involving the Saints returning to New Orleans after Katrina, and you'll likely come up empty.

Now suddenly he's Ginger Jesus.

Is there any doubt that the league office sent out a press release to the media outlets saying as much?

I am guessing that the instructions on how to write the story came with their press credentials. No fawning story-no credentials.

He was just carrying out Tags' orders.

Exactly. If Tags had ordered Goodell to facilitate a move to San Antonio ASAP, Goodell would have done that too. And probably with more prominence and energy.

It's amazing to witness the power of the NFL over the media. The NFL sends out a suggestion that the media should focus on Goodell's role in keeping the Saints in N.O. Suddenly there are a half dozen articles all saying the same thing.

I'd suggest Goodell did have a major role in keeping the Saints in N.O. But it wasn't out of sympathy for the citizens of New Orleans. My guess would be that it was Goodell's role as NFL PR hack that motivated him. He saw that allowing Benson to move the team to San Antonio was going to be a major PR disaster for the NFL (not to mention the fight Jerry Jones and Texans owner McNair would put up). Goodell could envision a future of the nation becoming disgusted with the NFL being all about the bottom line as Benson makes stadium demands from S.A. and Jones/McNair fight to keep Benson out of their market.

Goodell made the right call. The Saints became a rallying point for a suffering city. They helped the community. A bright spot. Because of this I guess Goodell thought the city "owed him one" and decided to use them to distract the media's attention away from the concussion lawsuits and show how serious the "new" NFL is about player safety. So the Saints got vilified and hammered all for Goodell's PR campaign. He's certainly no hero.

Goodell didn't save New Orleans in any way. He did his job. Now we are doing ours. The great city of New Orleans survives because of people like Drew Brees, Tom Benson, Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis -- and countless others. NOT GOODELL!

Things change whenever it is convenient for them to change. Roger Dodger is doing every thing he can to avoid harm/slander/humility while he is in New Orleans. Thats why the mentioning of the Saints not getting their 2nd round pick caught me off guard. The timing of that had to have been the worst PR move in history.

Ehhh, at best, it was the 2nd worst, right behind "I hereby uphold my previous ruling(s) regarding player suspensions..."; possibly the 3rd worst, if one considers "trust me, I have over 50,000 pages of documented evidence and proof. for reasons i can't go into right now, i can't show it to you, but rest assured i have it."

It's amazing to witness the power of the NFL over the media. The NFL sends out a suggestion that the media should focus on Goodell's role in keeping the Saints in N.O. Suddenly there are a half dozen articles all saying the same thing.

I'd suggest Goodell did have a major role in keeping the Saints in N.O. But it wasn't out of sympathy for the citizens of New Orleans. My guess would be that it was Goodell's role as NFL PR hack that motivated him. He saw that allowing Benson to move the team to San Antonio was going to be a major PR disaster for the NFL (not to mention the fight Jerry Jones and Texans owner McNair would put up). Goodell could envision a future of the nation becoming disgusted with the NFL being all about the bottom line as Benson makes stadium demands from S.A. and Jones/McNair fight to keep Benson out of their market.

Goodell made the right call. The Saints became a rallying point for a suffering city. They helped the community. A bright spot. Because of this I guess Goodell thought the city "owed him one" and decided to use them to distract the media's attention away from the concussion lawsuits and show how serious the "new" NFL is about player safety. So the Saints got vilified and hammered all for Goodell's PR campaign. He's certainly no hero.

He's certainly no hero.

Re: the subject/title of this thread...

I have wondered that since it came out. Tagliabue got Benson to keep the Saints in New Orleans. Goodell may have done some "leg work" on it, but he's not the one who saved the team. I remember distinctly all the press about Tags saving the Saints for New Orleans. Now Goodell's PR machine (his experience is in PR, after all) has started re-writing history.

Re: the subject/title of this thread...

I have wondered that since it came out. Tagliabue got Benson to keep the Saints in New Orleans. Goodell may have done some "leg work" on it, but he's not the one who saved the team. I remember distinctly all the press about Tags saving the Saints for New Orleans. Now Goodell's PR machine (his experience is in PR, after all) has started re-writing history.
Me too. NEVER was Goodell's name in the forefront in saving the Saints or the Super Dome. Tagliabue was the savior.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom