When did "have gone" turn into "have went"? (1 Viewer)

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
More and more I hear/read "have went" "instead of "have gone", which, even though I don't believe there is an English language governing body, as far as I know, is incorrect grammar.

I remember the first time I heard Ray Lewis use "have went" during a broadcast of the Fox pregame show, then soon after everyone else started using it.

Have went, took, shook, spoke... every time I hear it or read it, I cringe.

Last edited:
More and more I hear/read "have went" "instead of "have gone", which, even though I don't believe there is an English language governing body, as far as I know, is incorrect grammar.

I remember the first time I heard Ray Lewis use "have went" in a broadcast of the Fox pregame show, then soon after everyone else using it.

'Have Gone' went to the same linguistic dungeon as 'Should Have'. The new 'should of' really makes me :jpshakehead:
I suppose it just easier for people to copy others than to learn/understand correct grammar and rules of speech.

But of course, when I was young the kids used to make fun of others who had holes running down the legs of their pants.
Now people willingly pay a lot more for those same tattered jeans. :shrug: Give it up. You can't fight fads and trends.

Last edited:
using ray lewis as an english language example is like epstein have went suicidal.
Try having to produce a verbatim transcript of someone who talks like this where you can't clean it up and you have to randomly throw in punctuation to try to make it readable.

'Have Gone' went to the same linguistic dungeon as 'Should Have'. The new 'should of' really makes me :jpshakehead:
I suppose it just easier for people to copy others that to learn/understand correct grammar and rules of speech.

But of course, when I was young the kids used to make fun of others who had holes running down the legs of their pants.
Now people willingly pay a lot more for those same tattered jeans. :shrug: Give it up. You can't fight fads and trends.
The "would/could/should of" drives me nuts. I stop reading posts/comments if I see that.

The "would/could/should of" drives me nuts. I stop reading posts/comments if I see that.
At least folks could just write: "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" this way, and they can then claim to be quoting Jim Mora Sr. :hihi:

Yeah, this is the one that gets me. I made my peace -- sort of -- with no one ever using "it's" or "its" right. But "should of" has only been a thing since the internet has been a thing.

I remember the first time I heard Ray Lewis use "have went" in a broadcast of the Fox pregame show, then soon after everyone else using it.

tenor.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom