When did you realize Brees was going to be special? (1 Viewer)

Kicks

All-Pro
Reaction score
Go back to 2006. When did you realize that the Saints had acquired someone special, someone who was really good? Then, when did you realize he was destined to be great?

In college actually. His poise and the kind of numbers he would put up. I told people that he was going to be the best QB ever.

I did not know how special, but I was immediately excited about both he and Payton coming on board.

Knew he was a great college QB, but I didn’t know if he could make it in the NFL until his first really great season, where he kept Rivers on the bench the whole year, even though AJ Smith wanted Rivers to play in the worst way. He just refused to let him see the field. I think it was 2004. (Yep, just checked, up until that year I wasn’t sure he could make it in the NFL, and after that year I knew he was special.)

When I attended his first public training camp. I’ll never forget the moment I realized this guy was a WIZARD throwing the ball down field. The QBs were struggling against the defense that practice and Brees comes in with eyes full of fire. Takes the snap, looks right suddenly left and flicks the ball 30 yards down the field dropping the ball just over the outstretched hands of the db (who was in great position) right into the bucket of his tight end. All my years of watching football I’d never seen THAT kind of accuracy. The angle the ball took to drop right down there looked like it was against all physics in the known universe. I looked back at Brees and he was nonchalantly walking back to his place in line behind the backup qbs like it was as common as shooting a paper ball into the trash can.

It was a horrible year for qb’s but I liked him a lot coming out of college. I think were he 6’3, he’d have gone number one. Vick took that spot.

I think he still holds a lot of Purdue and conference records.

Interestingly, and off topic, I don’t think LSU had a single player make a team in that draft.

2nd game at Green Bay. The medium out TD to Devery Henderson.

Suddenly we had Payton coaching, rookie Colston, rejuvenated Henderson, a returned from injury/rehab Deuce, and rookie Reggie Bush. All commandeered by a smart, accurate passing star who was not supposed to be able to throw after what was termed a devastating injury.

Yeah, the 42-17 Cowboys game in primetime was when it started to click for me that we had something special about to happen. Easily my favorite Saints regular season game of all-time. That was the night the Payton-Brees Saints became officially on the map, I thought.

I knew he’d be a Hall of Famer in 2008 against the Raiders. He made a throw to a double covered Lance Moore, who jumped into the air between two guys and turned around with the ball hitting him in the hands.

It was insane. Best throw I’d ever seen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom