When Facing the Falcons Which Quarterback You Feared the Most, Vick or Ryan? (2 Viewers)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
No dog jokes, please. Strictly on the field discussion.

Last edited:
Vick. If a defense couldn’t keep him in the pocket and harass him his running ability and his ability to hit the deep pass would kill a defense. If a defense could contain and harass, leaving him minimal rushing lanes and not allow enough time for the deep ball he was pretty ineffective.

Ryan is much more complete and consistent, but not the dangerous wildcard that Vick could be.

Ryan doesn’t scare anybody
IMO, he is one of those QB's that is only good as long as he has the guidance of a competent offensive coordinator.

Vick. No matter how well we could shut down their passing attack, Vick had the movement to escape blitzes and pocket pressure, resulting in him making plays with his legs.

I dreaded playing against Vick. If you pull up a highlight video of Vick with the Falcons, I promise you that a lot of the highlights in a video will include him vs the Saints. We used to almost always get into shoot out games with Vick. The Falcons swept us in 2002, including the back and forth shoot out game we got into with them where Vick killed us on the ground.

Ryan has never given me the feelings of dread like Vick would. He's a pocket passer and when we lose to him, it's usually an all around great team effort where their defense also comes up with big plays. Beyond his 2016 season, Ryan has been an average to slightly above average QB his whole career, ala Andy Dalton in a dome.

Vick in his prime, we simply didn't have the speed on defense to deal with this guy and he would turn a shutdown play into a 70 yd TD

Honestly, Vick used to kill the Saints with his arm as much as his legs. He could throw those left handed ropes no DB could defend.

Vick in his prime, we simply didn't have the speed on defense to deal with this guy and he would turn a shutdown play into a 70 yd TD

This is true and one of the main reasons the 2006 victory over them in the Dome was so memorable. Setting aside all the emotions we had at the time, Vick had pretty much owned us up to that point. We would often get in shoot outs with the Falcons where both teams would score 30+ points and Vick would run all over us. Come 2006 we shut him down and only allowed 3 points on the board for Atlanta. That felt huge at the time cause we got owned by Vick before that.

Honestly, Vick used to kill the Saints with his arm as much as his legs. He could throw those left handed ropes no DB could defend.

This is true. People criticized Vick's accuracy his entire career, though he had moments of brilliance at times with Atlanta. He had a cannon arm and could launch bombs down field. His accuracy issues are often highlighted in a manor in which people used to nitpick Randall Cunningham to death over the early years of his career (Cunningham proved his doubters wrong a number of times, but nothing was ever good enough for them)

In 2010, Andy Reid practically reinvented him and he posted his best accuracy numbers of his career with a 62% completion rate. He wasn't throwing check downs either, a lot of them were bombs down field to DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. I'll never forget that MNF game vs the Redskins, it's one of the worst blow outs I ever seen for a night game and Vick opened that game with a 70+ yard bomb to Jackson. Sometimes I wonder what Vick could've become if he had a descent coach all through his years in Atlanta. The potential was there for him to becoming the next Steve Young dual threat quarterback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom