When I get to Heaven, I'm going to give Tom Benson a kiss on the cheek - My Tribute to Tom Benson (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
I'm an Old Timer. What I mean is that I'm a Die Hard Saints fan, that bleeds Black n Gold, from the beginning. Even have my Saints tatoo! This means I'm always in my Saints Colors!

Being an old timer, I have seen it all. Bad teams that go 1-15.....Paper bags with the word Aint's on it.....QB that could have been a HOF'er....you name it, I've seen it.

I watched as we drafted great players, then turn right around and trade them away a few seasons later. The whole time I was thinking, maybe this is the player that will finally get us over the hump and give us a winning season. Never happened.

I watched as we brought in winning Head Coaches. The same coaches that won Superbowls - or got close to it - came in, and flopped in New Orleans. Then, these same guys would come in and do even more to break my heart by getting rid of Archie Manning, and replacing him with a washed up Kenny STabler. Or worse, bringing in a washed up, beat up RB in Earl Campbell to replace a great young talent in George Rogers.

But, then something great happened. A miracle. And, that miracle had a name. Tom Benson! He bought my Saints, and the rest was history.

This is my Tribute to him. I will always remember him for this: He loved the people of Louisiana and Mississippi. He proved that with the way he not only conducted his business with the Saints, but in the way he treated the fans.

I remember coming down for TC one time, and Mr. Benson came out on a Golf Cart to meet and greet. Most other would have been doing that for their own Glory. But, not ole Tom. He did it because he wanted to spend time with other Fans. It wasn't all about money for him. This is what made him so great.

I was thinking about this because of where we are as a team right now. We are worried about the Niners, and rightly so. But, if it hadn't been for Tom Benson buying this team, we would instead be worried about Cincinnatti having a higher draft pick than us!

Before Tom arrived, we never worried about what Seeding we would have in the playoffs. Why? Because we never really came close to making the Playoffs!

So, when I get to Heaven one day, I'm gonna walk up to ole Tom, and kiss him right on the cheek! Geaux Saints!

I was thinking about this because of where we are as a team right now.

One of the greatest things he did IMO was leave the Saints to Gayle. It's no coincidence how messed up things were when Rita had her hands on part of the organization. If Tom would have left the Saints to Rita they would be in San Antonio or Vegas right now.

Last edited:
One of the greatest things he did IMO was leave the Saints to Gayle. It's no coincidence how messed up things were when Rita had her hands on part of the organization. If Tom would have left the Saints to Rita they would be in San Antonio or Vegas right now.
I'm not so sure about that. I liked Rita. Still, there was definitely something going on behind the scenes.

I met Mr. Benson on the Natchez Riverboat when Bush was in town for the Republican Convention. He had just bought the team, and I was in High School. He spent 15 minutes with a kid, talking about Saints and his plans for making them a winner!

I was just thankful he stepped up to keep the team in NOLA.

Tom Benson was a true New Orleans Gentleman, and savior of the Saints in New Orleans. We would not be enjoying these winning years without him!

WHO DAT Mr, Benson!! I hope you are still doing the Benson Boogie in Heaven!!

I was just thankful he stepped up to keep the team in NOLA.

Tom Benson was a true New Orleans Gentleman, and savior of the Saints in New Orleans. We would not be enjoying these winning years without him!

This is generally correct and Benson was no doubt an asset in his later years, but I’m pretty confident the only reason the team didn’t relocate to San Antonio after Katrina was because Paul Tagliabue wouldn’t allow it. The biography on Benson released a couple of years ago and (if I recall correctly) a member on this site with knowledge of how the discussions unfolded went into a bit of detail about this.

Mrs Benson seems to be more unconditionally committed to the city. But no doubt we owe a debt of gratitude to Tom for making us winners.

I'm an Old Timer. What I mean is that I'm a Die Hard Saints fan, that bleeds Black n Gold, from the beginning. Even have my Saints tatoo! This means I'm always in my Saints Colors!

Being an old timer, I have seen it all. Bad teams that go 1-15.....Paper bags with the word Aint's on it.....QB that could have been a HOF'er....you name it, I've seen it.

I watched as we drafted great players, then turn right around and trade them away a few seasons later. The whole time I was thinking, maybe this is the player that will finally get us over the hump and give us a winning season. Never happened.

I watched as we brought in winning Head Coaches. The same coaches that won Superbowls - or got close to it - came in, and flopped in New Orleans. Then, these same guys would come in and do even more to break my heart by getting rid of Archie Manning, and replacing him with a washed up Kenny STabler. Or worse, bringing in a washed up, beat up RB in Earl Campbell to replace a great young talent in George Rogers.

But, then something great happened. A miracle. And, that miracle had a name. Tom Benson! He bought my Saints, and the rest was history.

This is my Tribute to him. I will always remember him for this: He loved the people of Louisiana and Mississippi. He proved that with the way he not only conducted his business with the Saints, but in the way he treated the fans.

I remember coming down for TC one time, and Mr. Benson came out on a Golf Cart to meet and greet. Most other would have been doing that for their own Glory. But, not ole Tom. He did it because he wanted to spend time with other Fans. It wasn't all about money for him. This is what made him so great.

I was thinking about this because of where we are as a team right now. We are worried about the Niners, and rightly so. But, if it hadn't been for Tom Benson buying this team, we would instead be worried about Cincinnatti having a higher draft pick than us!

Before Tom arrived, we never worried about what Seeding we would have in the playoffs. Why? Because we never really came close to making the Playoffs!

So, when I get to Heaven one day, I'm gonna walk up to ole Tom, and kiss him right on the cheek! Geaux Saints!

Saved the team from moving and, in the process, delayed the NFL's arrival in Jacksonville by a decade. If memory serves, the Pritzker empire out of Chicago was interesting in buying the team from Mecom and moving the franchise to Jax.

I am grateful for all TB has dome for the organization. Keep in mind after Katrina if TB would of had his way we would be in San Antonio. BBballs Goodell didn't have the gonads to make a decision. Paul Tags stepped in and swayed the decision to stay in NO. Benson did a hell of a job after that decision. just sayin. I am also an old timer, just hit the 70. I'll be givin' Tags a peck on the cheek

After Katrina, Tom could have taken the team and moved them permanently to Texas. He didn't. He loved Louisiana, and he kept our team here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom