When is it okay to drink alone? (1 Viewer)

Just walk down to your local bar.

That presents some interesting questions-

Does "drinking alone" simply mean that no one else is there? Can you go to a bar where you don't know anyone and be considered to be "drinking alone"? Does it matter if you actually talk to someone? What if you only talk to the bartender in ordering a drink?

I'm not sure. It's thought provoking.

I guess that I think that unless you have extended conversation with someone there, it's still drinking alone. But again, I don't see anything wrong with drinking alone unless its a sign of something deeper.

That presents some interesting questions-

Does "drinking alone" simply mean that no one else is there? Can you go to a bar where you don't know anyone and be considered to be "drinking alone"? Does it matter if you actually talk to someone? What if you only talk to the bartender in ordering a drink?

I'm not sure. It's thought provoking.

I guess that I think that unless you have extended conversation with someone there, it's still drinking alone. But again, I don't see anything wrong with drinking alone unless its a sign of something deeper.

Agreed. I'd say going to a bar by yourself and getting sloshed is the same as at home.

And as for intent being the problem, isn't that always the case? Isn't getting hammered because you're depressed still a problem if friends are around? What is it about drinking "alone" that creates the issue?

I think its sad to drink alone - and I don;t mean a couple of drinks. I mean getting buzzed and drunk. So I guess it comes down to quantity for me. Plus, there is no excuse. Just walk down to your local bar.

I don't understand this mentality. How does going to a smoke filled bar, filled with people that I probably don't know and probably won't like, and paying triple the price for the drinks, make it better? Particularly when my goal was calm and quiet relaxation in the first place?

When is it ok to drink alone? When no one else is around.:ezbill:

I understand that it can be thought of as a depression issue because there is no one around to keep you from digging yourself in deep, but that's not always the case. Frankly, I don't care if anyone is around or not. If I want a beer or 5, then it's me that makes the decision and it's me that's drinking them. The whole thought is done soley by me. So why should it matter if I act on it alone?

Agreed. I'd say going to a bar by yourself and getting sloshed is the same as at home.

And as for intent being the problem, isn't that always the case? Isn't getting hammered because you're depressed still a problem if friends are around? What is it about drinking "alone" that creates the issue?

Well that's a good point too. I guess its because you're not being totally introverted about your problem. Medicating with alcohol with friends is better than doing it alone because at least there's the possibility that they can console you or at least know if you've got a real problem and need help. (? just thinking out loud) But if you're seriously depressed and getting hammered by yourself, nobody knows about it but you. Which probably just makes you more depressed.

You don't have to drink alone. Get drunk and post on SR. I do it all the time. Of course, most of you have figured that one out already.

it's ok to drink alone if you love living in mississippi :9:

I don't understand this mentality. How does going to a smoke filled bar, filled with people that I probably don't know and probably won't like, and paying triple the price for the drinks, make it better? Particularly when my goal was calm and quiet relaxation in the first place?

I agree. I've had some of the best "times" drinking and doing something alone--like cooking, watching football, or even reading. [or surfing the net and pui on sr.com :hihi:]Of course, activities which require some degree of thought or dexterity--one can't get absolutely smashed. But there's nothing like drinking some wine, cooking, and listening to some music on a weekend afternoon.

:9:

I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Wiser
That's all I ever need
'Cause I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's
And his partner Jimmy Beam
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
But I stayed home instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
And his brothers Black and Red
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me feel oh so bad
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear old granddad
And we drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

George Thoroughgood - who probably falls into the category of "shouldn't be drinking alone".

But there's nothing like drinking some wine, cooking, and listening to some music on a weekend afternoon.

That's crazy. All this time, I thought you were a dude.

I keed, I keed.

Every summer my wife and son go away to her parents for a week. My wife's a teacher and my son is on summer break, so I'm not expected to partake. As soon as they're gone, I load up the fridge with beer. I'll typically have 3-4 a night after work and whatever house project I'm in the middle of. I'll just sit out in the backyard in the garden and enjoy the quiet and the evening with some cold ones. I'll usually get together with friends or neighbors a night or two as well.

I have absolutely no problem with peace, quiet and several cold beers. It's a better choice than going out, speding too much, then getting behind the wheel.

I love my family, and miss them when they're gone. I'm certinaly ready for them to come home, but while they're away, I try to catch up on quiet time, movies, and beer!

I agree. I've had some of the best "times" drinking and doing something alone--like cooking, watching football, or even reading. [or surfing the net and pui on sr.com :hihi:]Of course, activities which require some degree of thought or dexterity--one can't get absolutely smashed. But there's nothing like drinking some wine, cooking, and listening to some music on a weekend afternoon.

Or working in the yard, washing the truck, listening to some good tunes and having a few cold ones!

Yeah, posting on SR goes well with a few beers, too. Jsut ned too wath th speling wen im drinnkg!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom