When Rankins returns, do you think we'll have a passrush with him? (1 Viewer)

Oh for crying out loud...

I didn't like the pick when we made it, and I'm not going to pretend that it's the right pick now. Why should anyone have any faith that the Saints personnel department made the right call here, when so many other decisions are completely ridiculous?

why have we redesigned our defense that is limiting the effectiveness or utilization of our star player? that's utterly ridiculous...may have a lot to with not having a legit DC

We didn't redesign the D. Harper said it was more 3-4 than 4-3 compared to 3GS scheme when he first arrived.

With that being said the game plan was to contain Carr and kinda mush rush. So the 3-4 puts more athleticism at LB on the field. More speed on the edges so that was the game plan

DA said we'd be multiple. No surprise and no qualm with the game plan. It worked for 3 Q's then the D crumbled after an injury to Breaux

What I want to know is why was Gwatchem inactive? He may have been the one to help our pass rush. I think once Rankins gets back and gets back into football shape he will have some impact on defense.

I see people have this love affinity for Gwacham but he's not that good. He was given the chance to be the 1 over Edebali and showed nothing in the preseason game. If I'm not mistaken he registered 0 sacks in the preseason. He isn't the speedy edge rusher people are calling for and gets to the QB no faster than Cam Jordan in his first 3 steps.

Daryl Tapp outplayed him during preseason n that's y he's getting more snaps.

He's being pumped up way to much on this board

I didn't like the pick when we made it, and I'm not going to pretend that it's the right pick now. Why should anyone have any faith that the Saints personnel department made the right call here, when so many other decisions are completely ridiculous?

You don't need to like the pick.

But calling the Rankins pick the mark of incompetence or being foolish is asinine.

You don't need to exaggerate for effect. Rankins was as much a consensus selection as it gets. Almost every site, ever prognosticator, every scouting site, all said he was a middle 1st round pick. Which is where we picked him.

The pick might not work out, but to say we're incompetent for taking him? Yeah. Asinine.

IF he can collapse the pocket it will make it easier for the edge rushers since the QB won't be able to step up

Luckily I have never broken my leg. I am wondering if his leg will be susceptible to re breakage shortly after healing? I mean, people are saying 6-8 weeks but that is for average people who are not pushing around 300 pound guys for 3 hours.

Ok, would someone help me out here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we could bring ONE guy back off IR, and with a broken leg that was originally going to be Rankins. But now with Breaux having a broken leg, I'm thinking that we can't bring both of them back. Can we?

Or are they going to keep Breaux on the 53 man roster rather than IR him? And we'll just be short handed. You can only dress like 46 anyway.

I've been wondering about this ever since Breaux broke his leg, thinking well, this means we won't see Rankins until next year because we need a #1 CB more than a rookie DT. Am I right or am I completely mistaken? Do we have to choose one or the other, or can we get both of them back this year?

Ok, would someone help me out here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we could bring ONE guy back off IR, and with a broken leg that was originally going to be Rankins. But now with Breaux having a broken leg, I'm thinking that we can't bring both of them back. Can we?

Or are they going to keep Breaux on the 53 man roster rather than IR him? And we'll just be short handed. You can only dress like 46 anyway.

I've been wondering about this ever since Breaux broke his leg, thinking well, this means we won't see Rankins until next year because we need a #1 CB more than a rookie DT. Am I right or am I completely mistaken? Do we have to choose one or the other, or can we get both of them back this year?

They haven't listed a roster move for Breaux yet so they might be keeping him on the roster. He had surgery and is expected back in about 6 weeks. I see that the Saints are expected to sign B.W. Webb to play corner. He can probably take Spiller's spot.

did they sign anyone to the practice squad after releasing the two players? Maybe they are going to move Crawley to the practice squad and have Webb take his spot in the 53.

Yes.

Breaux and Rankins will be back by week 8.

Yes.

Cool, we need them both. Guess Breaux will stay on the 53, like I said, you can only have 46 active on game day anyway, so it's not that huge of a deal. And we sure need both of them back, badly.

Yes.

Cool, we need them both. Guess Breaux will stay on the 53, like I said, you can only have 46 active on game day anyway, so it's not that huge of a deal. And we sure need both of them back, badly.

Keeping Breaux on the 53 is consistent with why CSP said the injury to Breaux caused the Saints to need to move on cutting Spiller from the 53. If Breaux was going to IR then he wouldn't have counted toward the 53 and Spiller might not have been cut this week. The Saints would have probably kept him around and kept looking for a trade partner.

We actually got worse, if you compare OAK stats vs 2015 Saints Opponents...

2015: 7.9 yards per pass attempt
OAK: 8.4 yards per pass attempt

2015: 4.9 yards per rush attempt
OAK: 6.4 yard per rush attempt

2015: 29.7 points allowed per game
vs. OAK: 35 points allowed per game

Also, 0 sacks, 0 INT, 0 forced fumbles, et cetera et cetera

That's a scewed stat though, everyone knows we don't play well at home anymore ;)

I'm interested to see more of these 3-4 sets when Rankin's comes back. I noticed we had Fairley at the nose obviously as a penetrating nose and I can't help but think that being a bit smaller and quicker Rankins would create some quick pressure.

I'm also realizing at the same time why Anthony didn't see many snaps and its because we didn't play much 4-3. We played more 3-4 and Kruger in drops> Anthony due to his experience playing the position.

When Rankins gets back we'll see some juice from him but until we get some elite edge pressure its going to be a long season.

Watching the replay and Kruger absolutely manhandled donald penn at times in the run game.

I was listening to Deauce the other night on the radio and someone asked him why Anthony didn play more and he seemed to be frustrated at answering I guess because he's been asked a lot. His response was saints were in nickel most of game and Anthony doesn't play in that package. Not sure how accurate but it's what he thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom