When They See Us on Netflix (1 Viewer)

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I saw the documentary a few years ago, but this Netflix series had more information I didn't know. Like I didn't know Corey Wise had it so bad he got stabbed and beat up while in prison. Or how they kept moving him further and further away from NYC everytime he got transfered. Or exactly why he spent so much time in the hole. I really felt bad for him.

In the very least, it is a lesson in people knowing their rights when talking to detectives or police, with the most important one being shut up until a lawyer is present. It needs to be taught to children apparently.

The Khalif Browder documentary almost brought me to tears but this was almost as hard to watch.

People truly do need to lawyer up...ESPECIALLY when arrested for a serious crime with serious implications and you may not see the light of day again if convicted. When they say "anything you say or do can and will be used against you in court". I cannot stress this enough. They absolutely will. Even if it's a statement you thought at the time you were making to support your innocence. Say nothing except "LAWYER!!!"

I watched it this past weekend. The other day, people began calling for Linda Farstein's (the prosecutor in the case) books to be removed from online & brick & mortar stores and there was rumor that trustees were also looking to have her removed from several boards she served on. As of yesterday, she resigned from Safe Horizon.

Also have seen a lot of comments stating that this is being unearthed and glamorized in order to manipulate black voters (and non-Trump supporters) ahead of an election cycle due to Donald Trump's involvement in their conviction.

Also have seen a lot of comments stating that this is being unearthed and glamorized in order to manipulate black voters (and non-Trump supporters) ahead of an election cycle due to Donald Trump's involvement in their conviction.
He is a part of that story to a degree. I wasn’t born when this happened, so I can’t speak for what happened, but from what I’ve read, he was one of the main figures that riled everyone up.
I still haven’t seen part 4, but he’s only mentioned about four times.

If true then good move. He still believes those boys are guilty despite all evidence to the contrary. People should be reminded he's been a scumbag for a long time.

I graduated from a NYC area high school in 1989. I'm looking forward to seeing this, I remember it very well.

I don't remember Trump being a main player in the story at the time, but he was also on the front page of the Post all the time for all sorts of reasons, so its certainly possible.

Mostly I remember it being part of a long string of racially divisive criminal acts that really tore the area up. Starting with Bernie Goetz (subway shooter) in 1984, through Howard Beach (gang of white teens attack a group of black teens, one of whom died when chased intro traffic) in 1986, the Tawana Brawley hoax (black girl falsely claimed to have been gang raped by whites - Al Sharpton's big moment) in 1987, the Central Park Jogger case in 1989, the Crown Heights riot (car accident involving Orthodox Jew and black children escalated into street beatings of other Jews) in 1991... there was a lot going on during that time, none of it good. (There was also the Preppy Murder in Central Park and Joey Buttafuoco case... it was nuts.)

It's why I kinda laugh when people talk about how enlightened the North is compared to the 'racist South.'

Anyway, it was a pretty dark period.

Last edited:
I graduated from a NYC area high school in 1989. I'm looking forward to seeing this, I remember it very well.

I don't remember Trump being a main player in the story at the time, but he was also on the front page of the Post all the time for all sorts of reasons, so its certainly possible.

Mostly I remember it being part of a long string of racially divisive criminal acts that really tore the area up. Starting with Bernie Goetz (subway shooter) in 1984, through Howard Beach (gang of white teens attack a group of black teens, one of whom died when chased intro traffic) in 1986, the Tawana Brawley hoax (black girl falsely claimed to have been gang raped by whites - Al Sharpton's big moment) in 1987, the Central Park Jogger case in 1989, the Crown Heights riot (car accident involving Orthodox Jew and black children escalated into street beatings of other Jews) in 1991... there was a lot going on during that time, none of it good. (There was also the Preppy Murder in Central Park and Joey Buttafuoco case... it was nuts.)

It's why I kinda laugh when people talk about how enlightened the North is compared to the 'racist South.'

Anyway, it was a pretty dark period.

And an Italian mob of teens that murdered Yusef Hawkins in Bensonhurst in 1989. Only two were sent to prison.

Trump took out ads in papers. The ads were very accusatory in nature. The Netflix Documentary 13 explains it to a small extent.

I saw the documentary a few years ago, but this Netflix series had more information I didn't know. Like I didn't know Corey Wise had it so bad he got stabbed and beat up while in prison. Or how they kept moving him further and further away from NYC everytime he got transfered. Or exactly why he spent so much time in the hole. I really felt bad for him.

In the very least, it is a lesson in people knowing their rights when talking to detectives or police, with the most important one being shut up until a lawyer is present. It needs to be taught to children apparently.

The Khalif Browder documentary almost brought me to tears but this was almost as hard to watch.
On the lawyer part, from personal experience....even that is not always privileged info. Fact.

Lawyers were used to ‘flip’ against their own clients in the case I speak of. And this was a big law firm. Not some fly by night. (Multimillion dollar case and multimillion dollar attorneys/firm) Things aren’t always what they seem, especially when the stakes are high and the players are big.
I won’t go into further detail on a forum, but it’s the truth.

So during closing arguments during that trail, the lead prosecutor was allowed to definitively say a hair sample found on one of the boys matched that of the vicitm, when an examiner used no such definitive language when he testified earlier in the trail .

Can resident lawyers explain how this is allowed to happen? Can defense lawyers object during a closing argument or can't a judge throw out such a closing argument that contains such error?

While Mr. Petraco avoided making an absolute link between the hairs and any person during his testimony, the lead prosecutor, Elizabeth Lederer, showed no such reticence. In her closing arguments, she used emphatic language to assert that hair found on a defendant, Kevin Richardson, had been ''matched'' and vouched for the reliability of the vigorously contested confessions.

''Perhaps the most telling of all,'' Ms. Lederer said, ''is the hair that was found on Kevin Richardson's clothes.''

She referred the jurors to the testimony of Mr. Petraco, the expert witness called by the prosecution. But in parts of her recitation, his cautious phrasing vanished.

''He found on Kevin Richardson's underpants a hair that matched the head hair of'' the victim, Ms. Lederer told the jurors. ''And there was a second hair on the T-shirt that matched'' the victim's pubic hair. She continued: ''There was yet a third hair on his jeans, on his blue jeans, that was consistent with and similar to'' hair from the victim's head.

I watched it this past weekend. The other day, people began calling for Linda Farstein's (the prosecutor in the case) books to be removed from online & brick & mortar stores and there was rumor that trustees were also looking to have her removed from several boards she served on. As of yesterday, she resigned from Safe Horizon.

Article on backlash for Fairstein
======================

There’s more than enough horror to go around in “When They See Us,” the new Netflix miniseries about the infamously mishandled sexual assault known as the Central Park jogger case.

There are police officers who coerce confessions, and prison guards who brutalize the minors under their watch. But the most concentrated depravity, by far, is embodied in Assistant District Attorney Linda Fairstein........

It’s no surprise that viewers of “When They See Us” have come away enraged; the character of Fairstein is enraging.

In the past few days petitions have circulated, begging fiction readers to stop buying Fairstein’s novels, demanding her publisher stop printing them.

Fairstein shut down all of her social media accounts after a weekend of backlash, which caused even more backlash: Her few days of discomfort on Twitter were nothing, after all, compared to years spent in prison for a crime you didn’t commit............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom