When They See Us on Netflix (1 Viewer)

I graduated from a NYC area high school in 1989. I'm looking forward to seeing this, I remember it very well.

I don't remember Trump being a main player in the story at the time, but he was also on the front page of the Post all the time for all sorts of reasons, so its certainly possible.

Mostly I remember it being part of a long string of racially divisive criminal acts that really tore the area up. Starting with Bernie Goetz (subway shooter) in 1984, through Howard Beach (gang of white teens attack a group of black teens, one of whom died when chased intro traffic) in 1986, the Tawana Brawley hoax (black girl falsely claimed to have been gang raped by whites - Al Sharpton's big moment) in 1987, the Central Park Jogger case in 1989, the Crown Heights riot (car accident involving Orthodox Jew and black children escalated into street beatings of other Jews) in 1991... there was a lot going on during that time, none of it good. (There was also the Preppy Murder in Central Park and Joey Buttafuoco case... it was nuts.)

It's why I kinda laugh when people talk about how enlightened the North is compared to the 'racist South.'

Anyway, it was a pretty dark period.
Yeah I moved to NYC a week after the Thompson’s Square Riots
It was certainly a lively time

But Trump definitely took out full page ads in all the papers calling for the death penalty for them

I watched it this past weekend. The other day, people began calling for Linda Farstein's (the prosecutor in the case) books to be removed from online & brick & mortar stores and there was rumor that trustees were also looking to have her removed from several boards she served on. As of yesterday, she resigned from Safe Horizon.

I guess Ms Farstein is experiencing a bit of karma here...thoughts and prayers for her!!!!

I guess Ms Farstein is experiencing a bit of karma here...thoughts and prayers for her!!!!

She had put out a statement basically saying that events and her portrayal in the Netflix show wasnt accurate and how unfair the backlash has been

To which someone commented (I’m paraphrasing)

“So you’re being judged and treated harshly for something that didn’t happen? Gee, I wonder what that’s like”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom